America has too many jobs!

1 hour ago, cannuck said:

Which is exactly what Trump in his heavy-handed way is trying to cure.   The US has mostly WalMart greater jobs because WalMart is full of Chinese product.  

This is nothing but bloody nonsense. The US has a ton of very well-paying jobs in all sectors. Nor is Trump trying to cure a damn thing. He's been in power two years so far and the only thing of substance he's done is signed off on a whopping big tax cut to rich people and corporate America.

The problem of blue collar white Americans in the 'flyover states', and places like Michigan and Pennsylvania is that many of the manufacturing jobs they used to rely on have either gone overseas, or, with the advent of technology and automation, require far fewer employees. In addition, the newer, highly technology driven industries require better educations and so they have gravitated towards the bigger cities with lots of university grads rather than into the smaller urban centers. There are policies which could be developed to spread such technology-intensive industries away from the bigger urban centers but the administration hasn't even spoken about anything like that. Instead it bleats about trade as if trade is what has been responsible for the blight in many smaller mid-america centers.

Edited by Argus

14 minutes ago, Argus said:

Nor is Trump trying to cure a damn thing. He's been in power two years so far and the only thing of substance he's done is signed off on a whopping big tax cut to rich people and corporate America.

In your opinion. Let's see what the American people think.
2 - second google search, "Trump approval economy":

Majority of Americans approve of Trump's handling of the economy for the first time: CNBC survey

• Trump’s economic approval rating surged 6 points to 51 percent, according to the latest CNBC All-America Economic Survey.
  • Fifty-four percent say the economy is good or excellent, the highest recorded by CNBC in the 10 years of the survey.
  • The recent headlines on immigration have not hurt his ratings, according to the survey.

Several interesting data points given in that link, both pro and con his presidency. Seems legit. I don't think they are doing it to flatter him.

3 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

In your opinion. Let's see what the American people think.
2 - second google search, "Trump approval economy":

Majority of Americans approve of Trump's handling of the economy for the first time: CNBC survey

• Trump’s economic approval rating surged 6 points to 51 percent, according to the latest CNBC All-America Economic Survey.
  • Fifty-four percent say the economy is good or excellent, the highest recorded by CNBC in the 10 years of the survey.
  • The recent headlines on immigration have not hurt his ratings, according to the survey.

Several interesting data points given in that link, both pro and con his presidency. Seems legit. I don't think they are doing it to flatter him.

The average citizen is a moron. I'm not saying this for the first time, and not saying it just about Americans. I've said the same about Canadians often enough. Most of them don't bother to read newspapers any more, don't read longer articles in magazines or even on the internet that delve into behind-the-scenes complexities, don't even watch the news on TV. You know why the herd is happier? Because he gave them a tax cut! That's all they're thinking about! "Yay, a tax cut!" 

And I'm willing to bet that three quarters don't even realize their tax cuts expire in three more years (corporate tax cuts remain permanently), I'm willing to bet most don't think much or care about their huge budget deficit or the fact this will add trillions more to their debt. And if you asked them what Trump has done that lets him claim responsibility for the economy they wouldn't be able to tell you a single thing other than "well, he cut taxes". But the tax cut hasn't been around long enough to have had the slightest impact on the economy, assume, of course, it has any impact. It probably won't.

15 hours ago, Argus said:

The average citizen is a moron. I'm not saying this for the first time, and not saying it just about Americans. I've said the same about Canadians often enough. Most of them don't bother to read newspapers any more, don't read longer articles in magazines or even on the internet that delve into behind-the-scenes complexities, don't even watch the news on TV. You know why the herd is happier? Because he gave them a tax cut! That's all they're thinking about! "Yay, a tax cut!" 

And I'm willing to bet that three quarters don't even realize their tax cuts expire in three more years (corporate tax cuts remain permanently), I'm willing to bet most don't think much or care about their huge budget deficit or the fact this will add trillions more to their debt. And if you asked them what Trump has done that lets him claim responsibility for the economy they wouldn't be able to tell you a single thing other than "well, he cut taxes". But the tax cut hasn't been around long enough to have had the slightest impact on the economy, assume, of course, it has any impact. It probably won't.

Hard to say what Donald Trump is really all about, but I suspect that he does some of these things on purpose. Not all however. His campaign was based on the use of over-the-top rhetoric, thus setting the tone for his presidency. During his speeches he attacked his adversaries with personal insults, which attracted the attention of a lot of people and I suspect this is what gave him a lot of appeal to a certain population of voters. The backlash is predictable. Trump must believe he can survive it, and in some cases use it to go even further. So far his political opponents have not been able to damage him, and remarkably his approval continues to be on the rise.

Even if folks do not read u on the news, they surely hear all the negative press about Trump, his alleged scandalous affairs, the possibility of a collusion and a coverup during the campaign, etc. yet this apparently is not terribly important to the US public. Yes, these people are focused on what they need right now, today and don't care if the guy is a womanizer. Perhaps because several presidents have been. Kennedy was very popular despite it, or perhaps even because of it!

Apparently one of the 'too many jobs' America has is not to make election signs and posters and flags for Donald Trump's re-election campaign. Those are being made already - in CHINA!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-china-flags/made-in-china-trump-re-election-flags-may-get-burned-by-his-tariffs-idUSKBN1KF1D6

6 minutes ago, Argus said:

Apparently one of the 'too many jobs' America has is not to make election signs and posters and flags for Donald Trump's re-election campaign. Those are being made already - in CHINA!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-china-flags/made-in-china-trump-re-election-flags-may-get-burned-by-his-tariffs-idUSKBN1KF1D6

Fake news, they're just making it in anticipation, nobody ordered...

"The factory has turned out about 90,000 banners since March, said manager Yao Yuanyuan, an unusually large number for what is normally the low season, and Yao believed the China-U.S. trade war was the reason.

“It’s closely related,” she said. “They are preparing in advance, they are taking advantage of the fact that the tariffs haven’t gone up yet, with lower prices now.”

1 hour ago, paxamericana said:

Fake news, they're just making it in anticipation, nobody ordered...

"The factory has turned out about 90,000 banners since March, said manager Yao Yuanyuan, an unusually large number for what is normally the low season, and Yao believed the China-U.S. trade war was the reason.

“It’s closely related,” she said. “They are preparing in advance, they are taking advantage of the fact that the tariffs haven’t gone up yet, with lower prices now.”

Uh, no. When he says 'they are preparing in advance' he doesn't mean China, but the Trump organization. Nobody makes 90,000 banners in the hopes of getting an order. 

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

American autos made in Canada are worth a lot more than Trump campaign signs made in China.

This statement reflects a lack of understanding of the North American vehicle manufacturing industry. Under current rules a vehicle must only be 62.5% North American made to qualify for the NAFTA tariff exemption. And it doesn't matter where in North America - Mexico, the U.S. or Canada - a vehicle or the parts it contains originate. Most of the flow in manufacturing has been to low-wage Mexico and not to Canada. Trump wants to raise the North American content rule to 85% with a stipulation that at least 50% be American. Neither of the other two countries, nor the auto industry, support this approach. In any case, you can rest assured that any American brand auto that's assembled in Canada likely contains a majority of parts manufactured elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, turningrite said:

This statement reflects a lack of understanding of the North American vehicle manufacturing industry. Under current rules a vehicle must only be 62.5% North American made to qualify for the NAFTA tariff exemption. And it doesn't matter where in North America

My statement has nothing to do with NAFTA....it is simply a point of fact that American capital and export market is far more valuable to Canada than Trump's campaign sign contracts in China.    Does Canada think it is "special" compared to China or any other U.S. trading partner ?

Canada exports 85% of automotive production to the United States....85% !!!

In any case, you can rest assured that any American brand auto that's assembled in Canada likely contains a majority of parts manufactured elsewhere.

I will rest assured when Canadian risk capital builds auto assembly plants in the United States.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

15 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

1.) My statement has nothing to do with NAFTA....it is simply a point of fact that American capital and export market is far more valuable to Canada than Trump's campaign sign contracts in China.    Does Canada think it is "special" compared to China or any other U.S. trading partner ?

2.) Canada exports 85% of automotive production to the United States....85% !!!

3.) I will rest assured when Canadian risk capital builds auto assembly plants in the United States.

1.) Oh, forgive me for thinking that you're chiming in on Trump's critique of NAFTA. As for whether Canada thinks it's relationship with the U.S. is "special" when compared to, say, China, well of course it does. That's kind of the point in maintaining a relationship that's existed for 200 years or more and been codified in various arrangements, including most recently the NAFTA. I'm no fan of the NAFTA pact, but it's rather immature on the part of Trump and/or his followers to portray it as some kind of foreign plot against American interests.

2.) Yes, because of NAFTA, and prior to that the Auto Pact. Canada has always been satisfied to be a secondary market and branch plant largely because that's what American industry, which dominated the auto market in North America until a couple decades ago, wanted.

3.) Canadian risk capital finances little in the U.S. and neither I suspect does it play a big role in building new manufacturing facilities in the U.S. these days, at least where the traditional North American companies are concerned. There have been risk capital ventures in the emerging electric car field but the extent of their eventual success remains speculative at this point and they are largely absent from Canada in any case. I believe that new auto assembly plants in Canada have largely over the past couple decades been built by offshore firms, particularly from Japan. The U.S. firms have mainly focused on streamlining operations in Canada and transferring manufacturing operations from both Canada and the U.S. to Mexico.

18 minutes ago, turningrite said:

1.) Oh, forgive me for thinking that you're chiming in on Trump's critique of NAFTA. As for whether Canada thinks it's relationship with the U.S. is "special" when compared to, say, China, well of course it does. That's kind of the point in maintaining a relationship that's existed for 200 years or more and been codified in various arrangements, including most recently the NAFTA. I'm no fan of the NAFTA pact, but it's rather immature on the part of Trump and/or his followers to portray it as some kind of foreign plot against American interests.

2.) Yes, because of NAFTA, and prior to that the Auto Pact. Canada has always been satisfied to be a secondary market and branch plant largely because that's what American industry, which dominated the auto market in North America until a couple decades ago, wanted.

3.) Canadian risk capital finances little in the U.S. and neither I suspect does it play a big role in building new manufacturing facilities in the U.S. these days, at least where the traditional North American companies are concerned. There have been risk capital ventures in the emerging electric car field but the extent of their eventual success remains speculative at this point and they are largely absent from Canada in any case. I believe that new auto assembly plants in Canada have largely over the past couple decades been built by offshore firms, particularly from Japan. The U.S. firms have mainly focused on streamlining operations in Canada and transferring manufacturing operations from both Canada and the U.S. to Mexico.

1)  NAFTA is obsolete, and Trump is right to leave it behind.   The impact on American jobs has been well documented.  NAFTA was negotiated with provision for any partner nation to leave after six months notice.    America owes Canada nothing on the trade "file"...we are competitors.

2)  Actually, Canada insisted that American manufacturing had to invest/build in Canada to sell in Canada, an attitude that persists to this day.   Example: The only reason EMD London existed was because of Canadian tariffs (there goes that word again)....it was never Canadian owned.    Trump likes tariffs...what was old is new again.

3) American (and some other foreign auto manufacturering) are leaving Canada because it is highest cost & lower productivity compared to U.S. , Mexico, and China.   Canada's labour unions, high energy costs (Ontario), taxes, and other factors make Canada less attractive.   Asian manufacturers have built far more plants in U.S. "right to work" states.  Ontario has lost thousands of auto sector jobs, and there is no domestically owned Tier 1 manufacturer to save the day.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

59 minutes ago, turningrite said:

This statement reflects a lack of understanding of the North American vehicle manufacturing industry. 

Trumpists don't care about reality. They certainly don't know or care that stock in the big American automakers plunged today, just like the stock of Whirlpool plunged yesterday and again today, both for the same reason.

They report that tariffs have greatly increased the cost of steel and aluminum, and slashed their profits. Fewer profits means less taxes and fewer employees.

18 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

American (and some other foreign auto manufacturering) are leaving Canada because it is highest cost & lower productivity compared to U.S. , Mexico, and China.   Canada's labour unions, high energy costs (Ontario), taxes, and other factors make Canada less attractive.   Asian manufacturers have built far more plants in U.S. "right to work" states.  Ontario has lost thousands of auto sector jobs, and there is no domestically owned Tier 1 manufacturer to save the day.

Well, then, based on your own logic you've got nothing to worry about. Things are working out just fine from your perspective. (I hope you have a big poster of Kathleen Wynne, who along with her predecessor did more than anyone else to sabotage Ontario's cost competitiveness, on your wall.) Why, though, your apparently instinctive vitriol for all things Canadian? Did a Canadian dump you at some point in your life?

3 minutes ago, turningrite said:

Well, then, based on your own logic you've got nothing to worry about. Things are working out just fine from your perspective. (I hope you have a big poster of Kathleen Wynne, who along with her predecessor did more than anyone else to sabotage Ontario's cost competitiveness, on your wall.) Why, though, your apparently instinctive vitriol for all things Canadian? Did a Canadian dump you at some point in your life?

Ontario's auto sector was failing before Wynne...she just accelerated the demise of automotive and other manufacturing jobs in Ontario.

I have instinctive vitriol for smug Canadians who take great pleasure in spitting on America while insisting that American capital investment and export market continue to prop up the Canadian economy and defend their delusional "post WW2" order, all while being NATO deadbeats.    Does that answer your question ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/19/2018 at 4:20 PM, paxamericana said:

Look at the numbers! We have more job opening then workers to work those jobs! The good times are here. 

I wish we could help our little brother canada but oh well I guess they don't want to sign our trade deals to get these jobs. 

I wonder how much greater Canada would be if we had a leader like Trump and not by a leader today who calls himself a feminist. What the hell is that all suppose to be about? Canada needs a leader who will fight for Canada and Canadians and not for the rest of the world and for a more bigger government, more taxes, and less freedom and carry on with political correctness foolishness. If a country is to prosper than a smaller government, less taxes, and more freedom are needed something I do not seem to be seeing or getting from this present liberal government. When bringing in tens of  thousands of refugees are suppose to be what is most important to the liberals in power and diversity is what Canada is all about will not be creating thousands of new jobs for Canadians. All it does is just creates more problems and more unemployment unless one is in the diversity and multicultural business. If our prime mistake would get out of people's lives and get off his diversity high horse Canada and Canadians will be much richer and much better off for it. Canada and Canadians need a real leader like Trump. My opinion and I approve of this reply. :D

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I have instinctive vitriol for smug Canadians who take great pleasure in spitting on America

I have a great fondness for said Canadians. Without them, my jihad on this forum would be meaningless.

Edited by paxamericana

6 hours ago, Argus said:

Not really. I made up my election sign from a piece of cardboard and a piece of wood and it was all made in Canada for Trump. :lol:  

11 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

That's cool....I learned about the smug (not all) Canadians from a Canadian named Gordon Sinclair in 1973:

Here- here. We would never get to hear on Canadian radio of TV someone talking today like Sinclair did. They would get themselves into liberal left wing excrement hot water. Instead here in Canada it is  just more attacks and insults and more of doom and gloom about America and Trump. There are so many "smug" Canadians out there and many "smug" ones here also. Trump has done nothing to hurt or harm them or other Canadians as far as I know but with some here they think that he is trying to start a war with Canada. Why Trump has become their enemy is beyond me. I despise these bunch of anti Trump haters. They all smell of liberalism/Marxism stink. Is there anyone here who can tell me what Trump has done to make their lives miserable? Go ahead make your day. 

When I watch Trump give a speech on TV or on the internet all he appears to be doing is always showing his concern and well being about and for America and Americans. Why does that bother the smug ones here? Trump is not even their president and yet all they do is cry like a bunch of crybaby leftist snowflakes over Trump. If only these same smug ones here would go after the prime mistake of Canada as much as they do with Trump, Canada might be in a lot better shape than what it is today. Trump has done many good things that have been good for America and Americans today but yet these same crybabies will refuse to acknowledge at least one thing that he has done. I can mention many things that Trump has done. anything good that he has done. This is why I despise Canada and Canadians so much today. They butt their noses in other countries affairs and business where they should not be butting their noses in at all. There are many murderous and communist countries out there that they could be attacking, but no, they feel as though they must attack Trump every day of their useless life. I suppose that it makes them feel that they are accomplishing something which of course they are not. All they are doing is constantly trying to make asses of themselves. If and when Trump decides to attack Canada then they should have something to say then. But until then, shut your crybaby smug mouths will you. Leave Trump alone and let's just wait and see what Trump will do that will somehow effect your lives. Get real for a change. Works for me. :P

2 hours ago, turningrite said:

Another question that you could ask also is what Canadian did Trump dump on other than maybe some Canadian that probably deserved it? It seems Canadians do more of the dumping than Americans do. I think that most Canadians are jealous of Americans. Just saying. 

Canada has become a disaster as a result of having too many lying and crooked political leaders like Wynne and Trudeau and so many others who never appeared to give a shit about Canada or Canadians at all. They were more concerned about how to go about filling up their wallets and bank accounts with taxpayer's tax dollars. But who cares about that, right? What Trump does in America is more important to talk about. Most Canadians can be such a joke at times. :unsure: Aw well.