Don't Mind Me, I'll Just Stand Here!

Robert Greene: He's one-quarter French-Canadian. I believe three of his grandparents have mainly British Isles ancestry. So, he's pretty mainstream Canadian, as far as I can ascertain. There's no shame in that, although Trudeau himself seems to shun the concept of being mainstream. My ancestry is a mixture of French, Irish and Portuguese but I see myself as being mainstream Canadian. I believe his predominant ancestry is Scottish, which he has on both his mother's and his father's side and some have noted a facial resemblance to Sir John A. Macdonald. Say it isn't so! His father made sure he learned French (as I wish my parents had done for me) but I believe that psychologically he's far closer to his mother.

Edited by turningrite

31 minutes ago, turningrite said:

Robert Greene: He's one-quarter French-Canadian. I believe three of his grandparents have mainly British Isles ancestry. So, he's pretty mainstream Canadian, as far as I can ascertain. There's no shame in that, although Trudeau himself seems to shun the concept of being mainstream. My ancestry is a mixture of French, Irish and Portuguese but I see myself as being mainstream Canadian. I believe his predominant ancestry is Scottish, which he has on both his mother's and his father's side and some have noted a facial resemblance to Sir John A. Macdonald. Say it isn't so! His father made sure he learned French (as I wish my parents had done for me) but I believe that psychologically he's far closer to his mother.

I'm talking about Quebec Ideology. They think they're the intellectuals of Canada. The Quebec politicians are snobs. Ask any other province, what province of people the dislike the most politically, they are going to say Quebec. I'm not concerned over race or ancestor, just the political culture of Quebec. They expect the rest of Canada to go out of their way, for their appeasement. They constantly want favors done for them in Ottawa, while western Canada get's ignored. They have an entitlement mentality that gets very irritating.

Edited by Robert Greene

5 minutes ago, Robert Greene said:

I'm talking about Quebec Ideology. They think they are the intellectuals of Canada. The Quebec politicians are snobs. Ask any other province, what province of people the dislike the most politically, they are going to say Quebec. I'm not concerned over race or ancestor, just the political culture of Quebec. They expect the rest of Canada to go out of their way, for their appeasement. They constantly want favors done for them in Ottawa, while western Canada get's ignored. They have an entitlement mentality that gets very irritating.

I doubt that Quebec's Francophone intelligentsia claim JT as one of their own. He studied, in English I believe, at McGill and almost certainly in English at UBC. Quebec politicians tend to reflect a broad ideological range. I think many English-speaking Canadians have an unrealistic view of Quebec. While it is undoubtedly, due to language, a distinct and often insular place, it's not inhabited by unreasonable people. It's population tends to reflect social views and trends often more similar to its French-speaking counterparts in Western Europe than to those held more commonly throughout English-speaking North America. But is this any big surprise? Quebec's political relationship with the rest of Canada is interesting and to some extent the view that it gets special treatment is justified. However, that's been the price paid to maintain national unity in what is an otherwise unlikely country. Western Canada also has the ability to assert its interests at the ballot box and many believe this actually occurred during the Harper era. However, what we're now witnessing is squabbling between Western Canadians themselves, as in the pipeline fight between  B.C. and Alberta. And Ford's election in Ontario might well ally his province with Alberta and Saskatchewan in resisting Trudeau's national carbon tax regime. Alliances can be very fluid, as it turns out.

• Like 1