What is Dignity?

betsy

28 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Imagine Jesus telling a leper to "suck it up". 

Why would Jesus say that?

"Suck it up," is a modern slang.....that ultimately boils down to perseverance, and  endurance.

Interesting though to know the origin of that slang.  Some suggest it came from a drill sergeant.

Edited by betsy

2 hours ago, betsy said:

Life has no value if you cannot be independent - that's the message  you promote! 

The message I am promoting is "People have the right to make their own choice."  I'm not surprised you don't get it.

So never mind trying to vilify Christians for their religious belief. 

Not Christians, generally; just some Christians.  Most of the Christians I know are really decent people.   I only oppose those Christians who think their religious beliefs should take choice away from everyone else.  Like you do, with opposing 'right to die', opposing programs supporting LGTBQ, and opposing a woman's choice when it comes to her body and her pregnancy.    You can choose to live and die any way you want.  You can have sex with or marry whomever you want.   You can not have an abortion as often as you want.  You have freedom to live your life the way you want.  But because you are a certain type of Christian, you think you have the right to take those very same freedoms and choices away from others.  For all those people who you vilify, call unworthy, condemn to death and torture through your God --- Who wouldn't get really depressed and think they're  better off dead? What an insensitive, discouraging message it is (those Christians) send.   It's downright cruel to make them feel that way.

What more when you do so dishonestly - since,  YOU KNOW YOU UNDERSTAND SQUAT!  You claimed to have read the Bible (being a former believer you say) - but you demonstrate clearly your ignorance of it!  What did you read?  The title?

Disagreeing with what you believe does not mean I haven't read the Bible.  Yours is not the only interpretation of the bible.  You are not the only one who believes she has the only "right" interpretation.  All Christians think they understand the word of God - and the other guys, believers or not - have no clue.  Because I have so many Christians to show me what a Christian looks like, I reject your Christianity.   Your Christianity is exclusionary, full of judgement and hatred for anyone who doesn't believe a you do.   

Matthew 10 Persecutions Are Coming

16 “Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. 17 But beware of men, for they will deliver you up to councils and scourge you in their synagogues. 18 You will be brought before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them and to the Gentiles.

22 And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved.

Yes, yes - so glad I am able to help you with your martyrdom.  You poor thing, living in a country where you are FREE to believe as you wish, someone disagrees with you!  The Biblical prophecy is fulfilled in you!  Never mind Christians actually being hunted, jailed or killed for their faith;  someone disagees with you on the internet and that's persecution!

Jesus Teaches the Fear of God

27 “Whatever I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; and what you hear in the ear, preach on the housetops. 28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

The Fear of God, huh.  Yup, like I said elsewhere - a 'choice' based on fear of death/torture is no choice at all.

Lying comes so easy to a lot of non-believers, especially the revilers of Christianity!  Understandably!  Why do they hate Christianity (Christians)? Because of the values that's taught in it!  You shouldn't lie, is one of them.  

I don't have to lie; I only have to say what I believe and you come unglued.  

Taking a life comes easy  -  that's the other message that comes with it!   Of course, it will come easy.  All you have to do is JUSTIFY taking it...........just like the way it's done when we want to get rid of an unborn.  That's what we've been teaching our youth!  It'll get worse!

Did you not read what WCR posted?  I tell kids that they can be who they are, that they are marvellous as they are, that they are free to love and marry who they want; you tell them that they are unworthy, hateful, deserving only torture from God.  I tell women that I love them, I care about their situation in life, that they have the "choice" of whether or not to bear children, that I am not going to make that choice for them; you tell them that regardless of their life circumstances they must continue a pregnancy they neither wanted nor asked for, otherwise they are unworthy, hateful, deserving only torture from God.  I tell people at the end of their life that I love them, that I support their life and their choice in how they want to die; you tell them they have no choice but to suffer, otherwise they are unworthy, hateful, deserving only torture from God.  Who has the more discouraging message?

You think it's merely coincidence we see the rise in murder-suicides?  There's hardly no simple suicides anymore!  It's not enough to simply just take your own life.

According to StatsCan, murder-suicides have declined since the 1980s.

The motto of the day:  if things don't go MY way - end it, but I'll take as many with me!   It's always about ME!

Who puts "ME,"  front and center? Is that a Christian value?

It's some Christian's value to put "MY BELIEF" ahead of everyone else's life, to judge others as unworthy if they don't life up to "MY BELIEF".  Other Christians put "OTHER PEOPLE" ahead of "MY BELIEF"; that means they are able to live a Christian life, while not judging others as unworthy.   I think the latter type truly reflect Jesus' message.

34 minutes ago, dialamah said:

The message I am promoting is "People have the right to make their own choice."  I'm not surprised you don't get it.

Not Christians, generally; just some Christians.  Most of the Christians I know are really decent people.   I only oppose those Christians who think their religious beliefs should take choice away from everyone else.  Like you do, with opposing 'right to die', opposing programs supporting LGTBQ, and opposing a woman's choice when it comes to her body and her pregnancy.    You can choose to live and die any way you want.  You can have sex with or marry whomever you want.   You can not have an abortion as often as you want.  You have freedom to live your life the way you want.  But because you are a certain type of Christian, you think you have the right to take those very same freedoms and choices away from others.  For all those people who you vilify, call unworthy, condemn to death and torture through your God --- Who wouldn't get really depressed and think they're  better off dead? What an insensitive, discouraging message it is (those Christians) send.   It's downright cruel to make them feel that way.

Disagreeing with what you believe does not mean I haven't read the Bible.  Yours is not the only interpretation of the bible.  You are not the only one who believes she has the only "right" interpretation.  All Christians think they understand the word of God - and the other guys, believers or not - have no clue.  Because I have so many Christians to show me what a Christian looks like, I reject your Christianity.   Your Christianity is exclusionary, full of judgement and hatred for anyone who doesn't believe a you do.   

Yes, yes - so glad I am able to help you with your martyrdom.  You poor thing, living in a country where you are FREE to believe as you wish, someone disagrees with you!  The Biblical prophecy is fulfilled in you!  Never mind Christians actually being hunted, jailed or killed for their faith;  someone disagees with you on the internet and that's persecution!

The Fear of God, huh.  Yup, like I said elsewhere - a 'choice' based on fear of death/torture is no choice at all.

I don't have to lie; I only have to say what I believe and you come unglued.  

Did you not read what WCR posted?  I tell kids that they can be who they are, that they are marvellous as they are, that they are free to love and marry who they want; you tell them that they are unworthy, hateful, deserving only torture from God.  I tell women that I love them, I care about their situation in life, that they have the "choice" of whether or not to bear children, that I am not going to make that choice for them; you tell them that regardless of their life circumstances they must continue a pregnancy they neither wanted nor asked for, otherwise they are unworthy, hateful, deserving only torture from God.  I tell people at the end of their life that I love them, that I support their life and their choice in how they want to die; you tell them they have no choice but to suffer, otherwise they are unworthy, hateful, deserving only torture from God.  Who has the more discouraging message?

According to StatsCan, murder-suicides have declined since the 1980s.

It's some Christian's value to put "MY BELIEF" ahead of everyone else's life, to judge others as unworthy if they don't life up to "MY BELIEF".  Other Christians put "OTHER PEOPLE" ahead of "MY BELIEF"; that means they are able to live a Christian life, while not judging others as unworthy.   I think the latter type truly reflect Jesus' message.

You mean Christians who follow the Scriptures.

But of course, it's like talking to a brick wall with you.  What do you understand about faith when you don't even believe in having faith in God.

So let me just ignore you until you've got something that's worth responding to.

Edited by betsy

21 minutes ago, LonJowett said:

No, she means the fake reviling ones.

You keep referring to "fake" Christians.  confused-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

Explain what makes a fake Christian, when he's following the Scriptures.  Isn't it the other way around? 

Think......hard.  Very, very hard.   pondering-and-thinking-smiley-emoticon.g

When you refer to "fake" Christians.....wouldn't it be logical to say that those who disregard the AUTHORITATIVE BOOK of CHRISTIANITY, are the fake ones? 

Edited by betsy

41 minutes ago, betsy said:

You mean Christians who follow the Scriptures.

They all follow the scriptures, including you.  Its just that people choose what they like or don't like and make that their focus.  So, judging by your comments on here, you like the scriptures that let you judge others.  The Christians I prefer are the ones that like scriptures that let them love others.

Me:  what will happen to homosexuals and women who have abortions?

Christians I like:  that is up to God.

Betsy:  they are against God and he will punish them.

Both you and the Christians I like may believe those things are wrong, but Christians I like keep in mind scriptures that advise against judgement, such as Matthew 7:1-2, 1 Samuel 16:7 and Corinthians 4:4-5.

22 minutes ago, LonJowett said:

No, she means the fake reviling ones.

Another thing......you keep saying revilers.  The term revile, is a very strong word.   It means to criticize with contempt.

Explain where you got that homosexuals are being reviled in this forum.    Show a link....so we can all check for ourselves.  If you're making a claim - especially, an outrageous one - you better be able to back it when challenged.  I'm challenging you to prove what you claim.

Actually......

........what fits more the description of a reviler, would be those that refer to certain Christians with contempt

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dialamah said:

They all follow the scriptures, including you.  Its just that people choose what they like or don't like and make that their focus.  So, judging by your comments on here, you like the scriptures that let you judge others.  The Christians I prefer are the ones that like scriptures that let them love others.

Me:  what will happen to homosexuals and women who have abortions?

Christians I like:  that is up to God.

Betsy:  they are against God and he will punish them.

Both you and the Christians I like may believe those things are wrong, but Christians I like keep in mind scriptures that advise against judgement, such as Matthew 7:1-2, 1 Samuel 16:7 and Corinthians 4:4-5.

Where did I say God will punish them?   Cite.  

Didn't I say.....we are all sinners?  That we're all going to give our account to God?

But......you're forgetting one very important thing:  THIS ISN'T ABOUT WHAT YOU LIKE!

Can you please  quit self-absorbing for a minute..........and get your feet on the ground.

Reality check:  the Bible is not about what Diahlamah likes.

Furthermore, you misunderstand the word "judgement."    Judgement as in who get life or death belongs only to God.  It's not the same as using judgement (to know right from wrong) - after all, we are told by God  to use critical thinking, to be vigilant so we won't be deceived.

Boy, when you folks start being deceitful in discussions - attributing to me things I've never said.....then you must be grasping at straws.

Most importantly, how do we have  rational discussion with dishonest posters........

.......or, those who have difficulty with comprehension..... or have ignorance issues? 

You can't.

Edited by betsy