Liberals starting to make Trump seem honest

Argus

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

Also known as a "Neo- Liberal". I had you pegged as a guy who would have voted for him... assuming you do actually vote. I know a few bitter old-timers who refuse to vote for anyone, on principle, and you could possibly be one of those.

Of course, the NDP option would also suit you well. Are we... communism-lite?

You tell me. According to some of the right-wingers I've run into around here, commie-lite would put me on par with Pol Pot.

I haven't voted for a Liberal or a Conservative for 30 years or more now and nor will they likely ever get my vote again.   I've certainly advocated not casting a vote but I still show up on voting day.  Green the last few times, I got fed up with always voting against something and decided to vote for something from now on.

So I'm still completely wasting my time but at least it's on principle.

May I ask if anyone that comments on this stuff is rich or just average people of this country?

I wonder if any of you who believe in this system of government have ever seen a cat chasing a laser pointer if you have that is what you are doing. No party is better then the other instead of all the name calling how about someone start listing things the Government follows through on ,promises that they made at election time hard to find them ....ok now list some things from each party that wasted millions of tax dollars . The second one is a lot easier right.

They are all wealthy people that know nothing about the average person except what they read . price of gas don't care , cost of power don't care , housing costs nope , transportation no name something that they worry about like we do.

Why do we not try to get our voices heard by these people and not just at election time but every time we want to vent . Letters to your member of parliament do not need postage , Phone calls are free Prime ministers phone number is free and again no postage required. We all need to talk and keep talking they hate paper work so send letters lots of them.

34 minutes ago, peoples advocate said:

Why do we not try to get our voices heard by these people and not just at election time but every time we want to vent . Letters to your member of parliament do not need postage , Phone calls are free Prime ministers phone number is free and again no postage required. We all need to talk and keep talking they hate paper work so send letters lots of them.

Been there done that, helped fund a couple of friends who spent the better part of 7 years flying back and forth between here and Ottawa as well to help get our message across.  There were multiple letters to politicians, multiple protests, letters to editors, parliamentarians...hundreds and hundreds of hours meeting, brainstorming, volunteering, activism.  Took over a fisheries office, there was even a hunger strike. I'd be willing to spend thousands of hours getting together with distant government to co-manage my region.  The government isn't willing however so...screw 'em.

I'm a little miffed at my fellow Canadians as well for not paying much attention to what's happened to so many fisheries on both coasts. They should because fishing communities are a lot like canaries in a coal mine - the way they go into decline are a really good indicator of dysfunction, not only in the environment but especially in the government's management.  The flip side of the coin stamped over-fishing bears the stamp bad-management.  How fishing goes is just how the world will go too and I suspect letters etc will have much the same effect.   

May I ask if anyone that comments on this stuff is rich or just average people of this country?

I'm doing a little better these days. Things aren't such a grind with the kids moved out and a bit of rent and pension coming in. Still have my health and still work at sea so... Of course a lot of people seem to be getting their noses out of joint over landlords these days - there's always another front approaching on or over the horizon somewhere.  Like I said been there done that.

16 hours ago, peoples advocate said:

They are all wealthy people that know nothing about the average person except what they read . price of gas don't care , cost of power don't care , housing costs nope , transportation no name something that they worry about like we do.

Harper certainly wasn't rich. Chretien wasn't rich - when he was first elected. He made himself rich while in office. Mulroney was rich, as was Martin. Joe Clark wasn't. Trudeau is another who made himself rich while in office. At the moment, Scheer isn't rich. Singh is a lawyer, but I don't think he's rich, though I haven't seen anyone going into what his parent did and whether they might have money.

37 minutes ago, Argus said:

Harper certainly wasn't rich. Chretien wasn't rich - when he was first elected. He made himself rich while in office. Mulroney was rich, as was Martin. Joe Clark wasn't. Trudeau is another who made himself rich while in office. At the moment, Scheer isn't rich. Singh is a lawyer, but I don't think he's rich, though I haven't seen anyone going into what his parent did and whether they might have money.

Chretien was setting up his retirement with maurice strong in china while still in office, but yet nothing said.

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎17 at 10:16 PM, eyeball said:

Been there done that, helped fund a couple of friends who spent the better part of 7 years flying back and forth between here and Ottawa as well to help get our message across.  There were multiple letters to politicians, multiple protests, letters to editors, parliamentarians...hundreds and hundreds of hours meeting, brainstorming, volunteering, activism.  Took over a fisheries office, there was even a hunger strike. I'd be willing to spend thousands of hours getting together with distant government to co-manage my region.  The government isn't willing however so...screw 'em.

I'm a little miffed at my fellow Canadians as well for not paying much attention to what's happened to so many fisheries on both coasts. They should because fishing communities are a lot like canaries in a coal mine - the way they go into decline are a really good indicator of dysfunction, not only in the environment but especially in the government's management.  The flip side of the coin stamped over-fishing bears the stamp bad-management.  How fishing goes is just how the world will go too and I suspect letters etc will have much the same effect.   

I'm doing a little better these days. Things aren't such a grind with the kids moved out and a bit of rent and pension coming in. Still have my health and still work at sea so... Of course a lot of people seem to be getting their noses out of joint over landlords these days - there's always another front approaching on or over the horizon somewhere.  Like I said been there done that.

I can say one thing and that is I agree with you about the fisheries and our politicians . Not only did they ruin the industry but destroyed all records and silenced the scientists that were studying the fisheries. Our last Prime Minister was the only free nation leader that refused to sign the Rotterdam accord labeling Asbestos as a dangerous product just to gain 42 votes.

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎16 at 1:06 PM, Bonam said:

Par for the course. The safeguards that Western governments and institutions are supposed to have against corruption and nepotism are breaking down, mostly as a result of partisanship (i.e. a Liberal partisan will reflexively defend the Liberals regardless of if they have acted improperly, same with a Trump supporter defending Trump, etc) and apathy (people just don't care enough to push for these kinds of things to be properly investigated and guilty parties punished). 

There always has been corruption and always will be and we will never change that because people really do not care.

So we now know that Bill Morneau did not put his shares in his family's company into a blind trust. Nor did he put them behind a 'screen' as the ethics commissioner told him to do. Apparently, he pulled a fast one on the rules. Since his millions of shares in Morneau Shepell are held by a numbered company which is held by another numbered company they are,  very, very technically, not held 'directly' by him, and so the ethics commissioner said he did not HAVE TO put them into a blind trust, as long as he put them behind a 'conflict of interest screen;. What did that mean? It meant he would have nothing to do with any subject or policy decisions or discussions which could involve or profit his company - and thus himself. And he failed to do this either. The minister must resign.

For, knowing he was still in possession of his Morneau Shepell shares, the minister introduced legislation that would almost certainly benefit the company, and therefore himself.

Bill C-27 would allow federally regulated employers to provide their workers with so-called “target benefit” pension plans, a product of which Morneau Shepell happens to be a leading provider. As executive chairman of the company, Morneau had himself called for just such a change. Now here he was, as minister, writing it into law. Did he at least recuse himself from discussing the legislation? Asked directly in Parliament, Morneau did not answer.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/andrew-coyne-morneaus-actions-show-a-critical-lack-of-judgment