Men prefer things women prefer people

Argus

8 hours ago, dialamah said:

Actually, on NPR today they said that while there was no difference in math ability between males and females, the latter had it over the former when it came to language skills.  By just a bit. 

They stuck to the two genders in the discussion, which, given it was primarily concerned with diversity and inclusiveness, struck me as a bit weird.

9 hours ago, dialamah said:

The question is not whether the brains are physically different. The question is what causes women all over the world to consistently prefer to work with people than to work with things. Every social psychologist and, for that matter, every university course testifies to the reality of this aspect of gender differences. To suggest that a high tech company needs to have a 50/50 male/female ratio of engineers given the relatively low parentage of female engineers being trained is illogical unless you choose less capable females over their more capable male colleagues.

Much as Trudeau did with cabinet ministers.

2 hours ago, dialamah said:

And you know this because studies prove that men are more naturally suited to cabinet posts than women?  Do you have a cite?

What was the percentage of women in the Liberal caucus vs in the Liberal cabinet? I believe they're in cabinet at twice the level they're in caucus. Are you suggesting they are twice as suited to be cabinet ministers as men?

On 8/8/2017 at 10:03 AM, Goddess said:

1.  I agree with this - in general.  I think both genders contribute to society, though.  When you're 85, and pissing your pants several times a day, you'll be more grateful for the 50 year woman who spent her whole life tending children and aging parents and in-laws, who now changes your diapers and does it in a way that allows you to keep your dignity.

2.  I don't really agree with this part, though.  "Many" women in traditionally male dominated roles took those roles under pressure?  No.  "Many" got here because they worked damn hard for it, just like a man.

I don't know if you would consider the software industry a "traditionally male role" or not, but the majority of the company I work for is female - by a ratio of 3 to 1.

No one is questioning anyone's work ethic, simply suggesting the genders have different wants out of a job.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Argus said:

The question is not whether the brains are physically different. The question is what causes women all over the world to consistently prefer to work with people than to work with things. Every social psychologist and, for that matter, every university course testifies to the reality of this aspect of gender differences. To suggest that a high tech company needs to have a 50/50 male/female ratio of engineers given the relatively low parentage of female engineers being trained is illogical unless you choose less capable females over their more capable male colleagues.

Much as Trudeau did with cabinet ministers.

Many professions are like that, so it should be obvious.  You can't have 50% police because they simply don't apply in equal numbers.  In fact, if a police force needs to hire 4 people out of 100 candidates, any women in the group has a much higher chance of being hired than than the man she is up against.  

10 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

Many professions are like that, so it should be obvious.  You can't have 50% police because they simply don't apply in equal numbers.  In fact, if a police force needs to hire 4 people out of 100 candidates, any women in the group has a much higher chance of being hired than than the man she is up against.  

Don't you agree that police should be representative of the community they are policing?  

Just now, Hal 9000 said:

Not if it means 50% of female police officers, not if it means 50% of female firefighters either.

Policing is a bit different than firefighting. Asian or black communities should have equal representation as well in order to instill a sense of fairness and build trust and respect in communities. Why wouldn't you want that in your community?  

Just now, WestCoastRunner said:

Policing is a bit different than firefighting. Asian or black communities should have equal representation as well in order to instill a sense of fairness and build trust and respect in communities. Why wouldn't you want that in your community?  

I don't think race has been brought into this conversation, it's about the gender differences.

4 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

I don't think race has been brought into this conversation, it's about the gender differences.

Women expect to be policed by women as well as races expects to be policed by their own. A police force should also be representative of a white community including gender ratio. 

1 minute ago, WestCoastRunner said:

Women expect to be policed by women as well as races expects to be policed by their own. A police force should also be representative of a white community including gender ratio. 

So, if there are 100 police applicants for 10 jobs and it's a 95/5 male female ratio, you think that there should be 5 men and 5 women hired?  Is that what you're saying?

4 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

So, if there are 100 police applicants for 10 jobs and it's a 95/5 male female ratio, you think that there should be 5 men and 5 women hired?  Is that what you're saying?

If the community has 50% of women then they should be rightfully represented. So yes. Wouldn't you want your daughters to be protected and served by women as well as men? 

Edited by WestCoastRunner

6 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

If the community has 50% of women then they should be rightfully represented. So yes. Wouldn't you want your daughters to be protected and served by women as well as men? 

I wouldn't want a police force that is taking every single woman and refusing better candidates because of gender - I know that.  I want my daughters to be protected by the best police force and officers possible.  

Just now, Hal 9000 said:

I wouldn't want a police force that is taking every single woman and refusing better candidates because of gender - I know that.  I want my daughters to be protected by the best police force and officers possible.  

You are assuming that the men are better candidates. 

3 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

You are assuming that the men are better candidates. 

If 90-95% of candidates are men, then logic being logic, yes!  

If you honestly believe that out of 100 candidates (95 male, 5 female) the best 10 just happen to consist of 5 female and 5 male, then you'd be living in some dream world.  

11 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

If you honestly believe that out of 100 candidates (95 male, 5 female) the best 10 just happen to consist of 5 female and 5 male, then you'd be living in some dream world.  

Your logic doesnt make sense. Just because there are less female applicants it doesn't make them less qualified. 

24 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

I guess that business about quality vs quantity went over your head.

• Like 1

OK, what if a school board was hiring teachers and they had a 95/5 ratio of female to male candidates and hired 5 male and 5 female teachers, would you agree that the top 10 just happen to be 5 male and 5 female?  Seriously?  The worst male teacher candidate would have to be better than over 90% of the females!  To me, that would defy logic.   

10 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

OK, what if a school board was hiring teachers and they had a 95/5 ratio of female to male candidates and hired 5 male and 5 female teachers, would you agree that the top 10 just happen to be 5 male and 5 female?  Seriously?  The worst male teacher candidate would have to be better than over 90% of the females!  To me, that would defy logic.   

what if they are equal candidates?  Wouldn't you want your son to see a male elementary school teacher considering that probably 50% of the class is male students?  In that case, I would have no problem with a male teacher being hired.

9 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

The industry I worked in is probably 99% male dominated. One of the best instructors I ever had was a female. Again you're conflating quantity with quality.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

what if they are equal candidates?  Wouldn't you want your son to see a male elementary school teacher considering that probably 50% of the class is male students?  In that case, I would have no problem with a male teacher being hired.

I'm not sure you understand how the numbers work.  Let's try again;

If we wanted 50% red headed cops but only 5% of police candidates had red hair, what do you do?  Should we hire every red headed candidate and assume they're better than their brown, black or blond cops?  Are we then not discriminating against cops due to hair color?

8 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

I'm not sure you understand how the numbers work.  Let's try again;

If we wanted 50% red headed cops but only 5% of police candidates had red hair, what do you do?  Should we hire every red headed candidate and assume they're better than their brown, black or blond cops?  Are we then not discriminating against cops due to hair color?

Why would we want redhead cops as opposed to brown, black, blond haired cops? Sounds like a hair brained scheme to try to flog a dead horse theory. Evaluate whoever applies based on something more than hair color. 

• Like 1