Galactic Republic = United States?

I'm something of a Star Wars fan.  Not enough to get a Boba Fett tattoo like a marine I know, but I think it's a good bunch of movies (most of them).

the prequels were of course dominated by the great "decline and fall of the galactic republic" story.  I strongly suspect that the whole thing was a commentary on the state of affairs in the US by George Lucas.  If you watch the deleted scenes of ep. III, it tells a lot of important stuff about the rebellion; stuff Lucas probably should not have cut out of the movie.

Question is, will the US go the way of the Galactic Republic? Why? And how?

I always thought the whole Empire was a mirror of the Nazis & Hitler's rise to power.  And the rebels were....rebels.  I'm sure some kind of mirror to the American Revolution.

Lucas might have thrown in some anti-Bush sentiment in EpIII for good measure, but he had the basic story lined up well before that.  Phantom Menace came out in 1999 and that particular script would have been written years prior.

3 hours ago, JamesHackerMP said:

true.

But my question is, will the US end up like the Galactic Republic?

If Trump has his way, but that's unlikely. State media is doing its best, though, to portray anyone not agreeing with Trump as an "Enemy of the People' which they hope will allow more and stronger violations of human rights in the future.

On 8/4/2017 at 1:36 AM, JamesHackerMP said:

No.  Not even Fox news is on his side anymore, really.

Funny how people from outside the US watch Fox News and think they have seen all they need to see about the American media.

I think it provides a better opportunity to see everything you need to know about America's right-wing myself and a good part of Canada's too.

• Like 1