What about post's number?

betsy

What happened to post numbering?   Why was it taken away?

It's very practical and convenient to have the posts numbered, for citing.   Who'd want to spend time scrolling down, looking for the particular post being cited?  And who wants to repeat what they'd already answered to - especially if the answer isn't so simple?

On 5/28/2017 at 10:51 AM, Charles Anthony said:

To cite a post, use the direct link provided in the top right corner. 

-- because sometimes those numbers change.  

Charles, that links it to other sites. 

If I want to cite a post I've made in another page or thread (in a discussion) in this site.....how do I do it?  Before, I just say refer to "post#".

Click on the icon in the top right corner. The icon resembles a < symbol with 3 dots, 1 at the angle and 1 on each of the 2 right-side ends. This should yield a pop-up menu with the link to the post in full view. Copy this link and post it where you want. 

26 minutes ago, betsy said:

Charles, that links it to other sites. 

It provides the link for you before it provides linking to other sites.  Focus on the 1st thing it yields -- do not pay attention to the 2nd thing it yields. 

You can see the highlighted link.  It is preceded by Link to post. Copy the link and post it wherever you want. 

If I want to cite a post I've made in another page or thread (in a discussion) in this site.....how do I do it?  Before, I just say refer to "post#".

Just provide a link to the post as you would provide any other link in your post.

1) copy the link

2) highlight the text that you want to contain the link; it can be any text in your post, in your case, it would be the "post#" text. 

3) click on the link button (resembles a horizontal 3link chain) in the edit menu; this should yield a pop up window into which you will...

4) ...paste the link where indicated, the 1st line ;

5) enter/edit the text that you want to contain the link, the 2nd line

Here are examples:

"As requested in the Opening Post of this thread, blah blah blah....." 

"As mentioned in the 1st reply, yadda yadda yadda...." 

"The gratitude expressed in the 3rd post of this thread is much appreciated!"

"The 4th post of this thread suggest that the OP may be unfamiliar with hyperlinking text on the interweb."

34 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

Click on the icon in the top right corner. The icon resembles a < symbol with 3 dots, 1 at the angle and 1 on each of the 2 right-side ends. This should yield a pop-up menu with the link to the post in full view. Copy this link and post it where you want. 

It provides the link for you before it provides linking to other sites.  Focus on the 1st thing it yields -- do not pay attention to the 2nd thing it yields. 

You can see the highlighted link.  It is preceded by Link to post. Copy the link and post it wherever you want. 

Just provide a link to the post as you would provide any other link in your post.

1) copy the link

2) highlight the text that you want to contain the link; it can be any text in your post, in your case, it would be the "post#" text. 

3) click on the link button (resembles a horizontal 3link chain) in the edit menu; this should yield a pop up window into which you will...

4) ...paste the link where indicated, the 1st line ;

5) enter/edit the text that you want to contain the link, the 2nd line

Here are examples:

"As requested in the Opening Post of this thread, blah blah blah....." 

"As mentioned in the 1st reply, yadda yadda yadda...." 

"The gratitude expressed in the 3rd post of this thread is much appreciated!"

"The 4th post of this thread suggest that the OP may be unfamiliar with hyperlinking text on the interweb."

Thanks again.

• Forum Admin
On 2017-05-27 at 3:40 AM, betsy said:

What happened to post numbering?   Why was it taken away?

That was my fault - we had an issue with the forums a month ago; shortly after a upgrade, the forums because unusable.

First thing you do in a situation like that is turn off all modifications and plugins - which I did - to ensure that it's not a third party code conflict with the upgrade.

Fortunately it was just a caching issue, and after clearing the cache, everything was back up and running.

Unfortunately, I forgot to turn on the plugins back on!  

Sorry about that.  The posting number plugin has been activated and everything should be back to normal.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.