Why Trust the Bible?

betsy

2 minutes ago, TTM said:

I know thats the idea for Dino bones, but I'm curious if it is the same idea for people.  While you could may be argue the case for Dinos, it raises some interesting questions if you try to apply the same logic to people

Well, the whole idea of Adam and Eve somehow making all humans is rather interesting in itself. Somebody is doing the nasty with somebody's uncle, daughter, grandfather...ewww.

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

To believe what you you believe...as I mentioned...you have to be against more than just Evolution. You have to also believe that humans don't understand math, physics, chemistry, quantum physics, etc.

Yet atomic bombs work.

I'm more impressed with the Christians who embrace such knowledge and see it as part of God's creation rather than something to be denied...

That's up to you.  I am not trying to impress the world or non-believers.  As I said believing in the Bible will not get you into favour with the world.  You can't have it both ways.  The science subjects you mention are still perfectly legitimate.  Christian scientists believe those subjects.  But just have a problem with old earth age and evolution.

Just now, blackbird said:

The creation discussion re fossils is somewhat involved.  That website I gave goes into aspects of it.  You may find more related subjects there.  It seems to be saying that the Biblical flood called Noah's flood in Genesis was a catostrophic event which caused the fossils to be deposited as they are now.  The website goes into some of that.  The age of the earth is only a few thousand years so whether it was created with the fossils already in it at the time of creation or whether they were created by the flood I don't know.

Fossils could not have been deposited by a flood unless it was a "magic flood". Each kind of fossil only appears in its own geological layer, and never in another.  There is no mixing as would have occurred in a flood.

Just now, blackbird said:

That's up to you.  I am not trying to impress the world or non-believers.  As I said believing in the Bible will not get you into favour with the world.  You can't have it both ways.  The science subjects you mention are still perfectly legitimate.  Christian scientists believe those subjects.  But just have a problem with old earth age and evolution.

That's because: square peg...round hole.

It'll never fit.

Pi isn't 3.

2 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Well, the whole idea of Adam and Eve somehow making all humans is rather interesting in itself. Somebody is doing the nasty with somebody's uncle, daughter, grandfather...ewww.

Well, I don't see why dinasaurs couldn't have lived a few thousand years ago.  Maybe they did.  I don't believe in neanderthal man  or than man came from apes.

2 minutes ago, TTM said:

Fossils could not have been deposited by a flood unless it was a "magic flood". Each kind of fossil only appears in its own geological layer, and never in another.  There is no mixing as would have occurred in a flood.

From what I have heard by a slide-show presentation by Prof Philip Stott, the fossil record is somewhat confused and many missing pieces.

4 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

And it happened twice: Adam and Noah.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

Well, I don't see why dinasaurs couldn't have lived a few thousand years ago.  Maybe they did.  I don't believe in neanderthal man  or than man came from apes.

When humans inbreed....there be trooooobles.

Yes there may have been some close family connections with Adam and Eve's children in order to start the human race.  But perhaps that was how it happened.

I'll say.

Where did Generation II come from? Mom??

Mom!!!

:lol:

From what I have heard by a slide-show presentation by Prof Philip Stott, the fossil record is somewhat confused and many missing pieces.

You have been misinformed.  While the fossil record is obviously not complete when you are relying on an event (fossilization) which occurs only under extremely rare conditions, but (like most critisisms of science) the "confusion" is grossly overstated and limited to details, and not the overall picture.  And one thing that is not confused is that fossils are layered and not mixed.  They could not have been layed down in a flood.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TTM said:

You have been misinformed.  While the fossil record is obviously not complete when you are relying on an event (fossilization) which occurs only under extremely rare conditions, but (like most critisisms of science) the "confusion" is grossly overstated and limited to details, and not the overall picture.  And one thing that is not confused is that fossils are layered and not mixed.  They could not have been layed down in a flood.

I believe the fossils were either formed since creation, perhaps as a result of the flood OR  the fossils were created to be in the earth at the time of creation.

3 minutes ago, TTM said:

Incest is unavoidable in either case.

What if he brought a son with a wife on board the ark? 

I see what you mean.  Could be that's the way it had to be.  Those were unique times,   but all the details of who was taken on the ark perhaps are not mentioned. I don't know.

Edited by blackbird

3 minutes ago, blackbird said:

What if he brought a son with a wife on board the ark?

Who are the son's children sleeping with? Either each other or their aunts/uncles

(Or their parents or grandparents)

Edited by TTM
other options

6 minutes ago, TTM said:

Incest is unavoidable in either case.

I just looked it up.  It says in Genesis ch7 vs1 "And the Lord said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark"   

So who knows how many people were in his house.  Could have been a number of couples (sons, daughters and their spouses)

5 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I believe the fossils were either formed since creation, perhaps as a result of the flood OR  the fossils were created to be in the earth at the time of creation.

So I'll ask again, since the flood option is off the table (unless it was a magic flood) do you think modern human bones and other remnants (tools, paintings, etc.) older than 6000 years were hidden there by God?

2 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I just looked it up.  It says in Genesis ch7 vs1 "And the Lord said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark"   

So who knows how many people were in his house.  Could have been a number of couples (sons, daughters and their spouses)

Fair enough ... best case scenario is first cousins "only".

3 minutes ago, TTM said:

So I'll ask again, since the flood option is off the table (unless it was a magic flood) do you think modern human bones and other remnants (tools, paintings, etc.) older than 6000 years were hidden there by God?

If entire galaxy clusters are....why not cave paintings?