Why Trust the Bible?

betsy

1 hour ago, DogOnPorch said:

False: there's a field known as Quantum Physics that puts that little gem to bed.

I don't know that Quantum Physics supports Uniformitarianism.  I don't know what it has to do with it. 

Catastrophism versus uniformitarianism describes alternative process which could be primarily responsible for the formation the geological strata and embedded fossils. Catastrophism was accepted as the only possible explanation until the about the 18th century. Catastrophism taught that the geologic rock strata were primarily a result of catastrophes like the worldwide flood of Noah. At that time James Hutton and Sir Charles Lyell proposed an alternative explanation of uniformitarianism. The theory of uniformitarianism taught that the present was the key to the past and exactly the same slow process that we see today is the one responsible for the formation of all the geological rock strata.  Unquote

Catastrlophism says that a major event such as Noah's flood or a meteor strike could have created an entirely different time scale of events.  Prof Stott believes there could have been a major meteor strike 2500 years ago (if I recall correctly) which caused a tidal wave kilometers in height sweep around the earth destroying everything.  Some evidence is claimed to be seen in the wobble of the earth's axis and from that it can be calculated when the meteor hit occured or how large it was.  The result might have been an entirely different fossil record because of a fast deposition of fossils and layers of earth.  This could throw the theory of uniformitarianism out.

Edited by blackbird

4 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

The story of Noah is straight out of Gilgamesh.

Older that the Jewish civilization where you get your Bible myths.

Cultural Appropriation and all...

Apparently there are other stories about the flood.  These reportedly came from varies other places and sources around the world.  The fact that other peoples from various countries have a tradition of reporting there was a flood just reinforces the truth of the biblical account that there was indeed a great flood as recorded in Genesis.  Gilgamesh may have been just another source among many that reported a flood in ancient times.  The biblical account did not come from Gigamesh.  The biblical account of Noah's flood is accurate because it came from God.  Men recorded it under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.   One source estimate a very rough guess of a date of 2,300 years B.C. or 4,300 years ago.  That is not regarded as accurate but only a dates some scholar put forward.

6 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

There's zero evidence of any global flooding. None.

Here is a interesting article on the EVIDENCE for the flood.

http://www.earthage.org/EarthOldorYoung/scientific_evidence_for_a_worldwide_flood.htm

One of the strongest pieces of evidence for a worldwide flood is the existence of what Rupke termed "polystrate fossils."  Such fossils are found all over the world: especially in and around coal seams.  They are often in the form of  fossil  trees that were buried upright and which often cross multiple  layers of strata such as sandstone, shale, limestone  and even coal beds. 1,2,3,4  They range in size from small rootlets to trees over 80 feet long.  Sometimes they are oblique (or at an angle to) the surrounding strata, but more often they are perpendicular with (or standing 'upright' in) it.  For example, at Joggins, Nova Scotia, polystrate tree (and root) fossils are found at various intervals throughout roughly 2,500 feet of strata.  Many of the trees are from 10-20 feet long, 5,6 and at least  one was 40 feet long. 5,6,7   Unquote

I have seen a photo of fossilized trees standing upright.  They were caught suddenly by the massive sediment as a result of the flood and never had a chance to get old,die, and fall as trees normally do.  This is strong evidence of the flood.

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

Here is a interesting article on the EVIDENCE for the flood.

http://www.earthage.org/EarthOldorYoung/scientific_evidence_for_a_worldwide_flood.htm

One of the strongest pieces of evidence for a worldwide flood is the existence of what Rupke termed "polystrate fossils."  Such fossils are found all over the world: especially in and around coal seams.  They are often in the form of  fossil  trees that were buried upright and which often cross multiple  layers of strata such as sandstone, shale, limestone  and even coal beds. 1,2,3,4  They range in size from small rootlets to trees over 80 feet long.  Sometimes they are oblique (or at an angle to) the surrounding strata, but more often they are perpendicular with (or standing 'upright' in) it.  For example, at Joggins, Nova Scotia, polystrate tree (and root) fossils are found at various intervals throughout roughly 2,500 feet of strata.  Many of the trees are from 10-20 feet long, 5,6 and at least  one was 40 feet long. 5,6,7   Unquote

I have seen a photo of fossilized trees standing upright.  They were caught suddenly by the massive sediment as a result of the flood and never had a chance to get old,die, and fall as trees normally do.  This is strong evidence of the flood.

And according to your "professor", who doesn't understand chemistry, coal was put in the ground as coal by God....correct?

Not as plants layered upon each other over millions of years that had no suitable bacteria to eat them...

Talk about conflicting world views. You and I....

What was his explanation for being able to see further than 6,000 light years? 

Quote Very few of these upright fossil trees have attached roots, and only about 1 in 50 8  have both roots and rootlets attached.  Such trees, and their missing roots are discussed in detail in an article on 'Fossil Forests'. 9  Likewise many, if not most, of the large, fragmented, and  broken-off  Stigmaria roots (of these trees) are also missing their rootlets In fact, that's how the word "stigmaria" (roots) got its name: i.e. because of the scar marks left behind from the broken off (and now missing) rootlets. 9  

Many of these roots and rootlets are also buried individually. 9  Thus virtually proving that neither the trees themselves, nor their rootlets were buried in the place where they grew, or "in situ," but were uprooted and re-buried where they are now found.

Unquote

This article demonstrates that there must have been a great flood which tore trees from their roots and then deposited them in other places.  This would not happen without a catastrophic event such as a great flood to tear the trees out and move them quickly.

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

And according to your "professor", who doesn't understand chemistry, coal was put in the ground as coal by God....correct?

Not as plants layered upon each other over millions of years that had no suitable bacteria to eat them...

Talk about conflicting world views. You and I....

What was his explanation for being able to see further than 6,000 light years? 

I don't claim to be an expert and don't know about coal.  As I said before the earth must have been created with an apparent age.  When a tree is created for example, how old is it?  How old will a rock appear to be?  etc.  Light from stars will have to have the appearance of having travelled a great distance at the moment it was created.  You miss the main point.  The creation was a supernatural event. 

Just now, blackbird said:

The creation was a supernatural event. 

I don't believe in the supernatural.

But, I do have an impressive collection of various decks of cards including tarot cards. Including the ones from Live And Let Die. Common for a few years...then like hen's teeth in good condition.

However, I should point-out that Young-Earth Creationists are an aberration even for crazy ol' Christianity. Many Christians can accept that perhaps the Bronze Age crap was just that...Bronze Age Crap...while keeping the bits that mattered. Go and do thou likewise....and what-not.

8 hours ago, blackbird said:

If you are serious about finding the answers, I would suggest joining a Bible study group or investigating whether there is an internet-based Bible study.

If your serious about finding the answers, I would suggest reading a book on or containing science.

7 minutes ago, TTM said:

If your serious about finding the answers, I would suggest reading a book on or containing science.

The great thing is: as long as it doesn't lead to strapping on explosives and heading to the natural history museum to set the sinners straight...who cares?

9 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

I don't believe in the supernatural.

But, I do have an impressive collection of various decks of cards including tarot cards. Including the ones from Live And Let Die. Common for a few years...then like hen's teeth in good condition.

However, I should point-out that Young-Earth Creationists are an aberration even for crazy ol' Christianity. Many Christians can accept that perhaps the Bronze Age crap was just that...Bronze Age Crap...while keeping the bits that mattered. Go and do thou likewise....and what-not.

Doesn't matter to me if you think what I believe is an aberration.  Go ahead and believe that.  If you don't want to believe in the supernatural, that's up to you.  You have some opinions I agree with but not in this subject.

1 minute ago, TTM said:

blackbird, I'm curious how do you square the fact that we have fossil evidence for modern humans and human societies which date back tens of thousands of years, when Adam and Eve was only about 6,000 years ago? 

Some concept called "apparent age"...God put dino bones into the ground and they look old...but they were all created at the same time. Dinos didn't really exist...just their bones.

Doesn't matter to me if you think what I believe is an aberration.  Go ahead and believe that.  If you don't want to believe in the supernatural, that's up to you.  You have some opinions I agree with but not in this subject.

Aberration = Departure From Normal

3 minutes ago, TTM said:

blackbird, I'm curious how do you square the fact that we have fossil evidence for modern humans and human societies which date back tens of thousands of years, when Adam and Eve was only about 6,000 years ago? 

This website gives some pretty good explanations about that:

3 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Aberration = Departure From Normal

Yes, it is a departure from "normal" whatever normal is.   As the Bible says  spiritual things are foolishness to the world.  God has chosen the foolish things to confound the wise.  The wisdom of the world is foolishness to God.   If you would rather be "normal" and be a part of the world system which is doomed, that's up to you.  If you want to be part of God's family in the heavenly, kingdom then you have to have spiritual eyes and accept the Bible as the truth from God.

Edited by blackbird

2 minutes ago, TTM said:

I skimmed the site ... it did not appear to address this

The creation discussion re fossils is somewhat involved.  That website I gave goes into aspects of it.  You may find more related subjects there.  It seems to be saying that the Biblical flood called Noah's flood in Genesis was a catostrophic event which caused the fossils to be deposited as they are now.  The website goes into some of that.  The age of the earth is only a few thousand years so whether it was created with the fossils already in it at the time of creation or whether they were created by the flood I don't know.

4 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Some concept called "apparent age"...God put dino bones into the ground and they look old...but they were all created at the same time. Dinos didn't really exist...just their bones.

I know thats the idea for Dino bones, but I'm curious if it is the same idea for people.  While you could may be argue the case for Dinos, it raises some interesting questions if you try to apply the same logic to people

Yes, it is a departure from "normal" what normal is.   As the Bible says  spiritual things are foolishness to the world.  God has chosen the foolish things to confound the wise.  The wisdom of the world is foolishness to God.

To believe what you you believe...as I mentioned...you have to be against more than just Evolution. You have to also believe that humans don't understand math, physics, chemistry, quantum physics, etc.

Yet atomic bombs work.

I'm more impressed with the Christians who embrace such knowledge and see it as part of God's creation rather than something to be denied...