Canadian Muslims demanding end to free speech / Canada's Anti-Islamophobia Committee will begin meetings next month

Argus

2 hours ago, BillyBeaver said:

M-103 is just a small step down a slippery road.

No doubt you'd consider the anti-Islamaphobia motion that was passed last year was another one ... https://www.dailysabah.com/americas/2016/11/03/canadian-parliament-passes-anti-islamophobia-motion

There were those who of course denounced this motion as a limitation on 'free speech' ....  http://www.neveragaincanada.ca/13636-2/

- yet, there are still attacks on Muslims/mosques and rants on buses from those who are exercising their 'free speech'.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/after-mosque-fire-in-peterborough-ont-community-rallies-torebuild/article27272714/

http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa/2017/03/07/high-school-student-captures-violent-anti-muslim-rant.html

"Free Speech" alive and well in Canada.  God forbid we should define physical and verbal attacks on people due to their religion as 'wrong'.  

8 minutes ago, dialamah said:

No doubt you'd consider the anti-Islamaphobia motion that was passed last year was another one ... https://www.dailysabah.com/americas/2016/11/03/canadian-parliament-passes-anti-islamophobia-motion

There were those who of course denounced this motion as a limitation on 'free speech' ....  http://www.neveragaincanada.ca/13636-2/

- yet, there are still attacks on Muslims/mosques and rants on buses from those who are exercising their 'free speech'.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/after-mosque-fire-in-peterborough-ont-community-rallies-torebuild/article27272714/

http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa/2017/03/07/high-school-student-captures-violent-anti-muslim-rant.html

"Free Speech" alive and well in Canada.  God forbid we should define physical and verbal attacks on people due to their religion as 'wrong'.  

What would be the appropriate punishment for 'Islamophobia' in Canada?

Physical attacks are unjustified and indefensible. You do know that metro news is linked to Soros right? That video could have been staged, but French-Canadian extremists are the worst kind.  That video just reinforces the idea of why creating special distinctions for "unique cultures" creates a false sense of superiority and sense of entitlement.

I agree with the principles of rational discourse and open debate, free speech taken to the extreme is still counterproductive because everyone is shouting and nobody is listening.

The US doesn't have free speech either. The US is a heavily propagandized system, the worst in the world, where presidents can daily, hourly, mouth the most nonsensical lies, "the US is a bastion of freedom"; "the US advances democracy"; "the US is the only power that can save the world", all in complete and total defiance of reality.

Edited by hot enough

58 minutes ago, BillyBeaver said:

That video could have been staged

I've seen and been the 'recipient' of anti-immigrant attacks in public, and any claim that they're staged sounds like an over-the-top conspiracy theory to me.  Especially given that police investigate and charge these people.  

1 hour ago, BillyBeaver said:

I agree with the principles of rational discourse and open debate, free speech taken to the extreme is still counterproductive because everyone is shouting and nobody is listening.

Agreed.

11 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Equal rights for women and such should be scorned?

Okay...

Not should be.  Allowed.  Scorn is allowed.

"Scorn those who would portray the Prophet!"  How much better is that?

Edited by bcsapper

Just now, bcsapper said:

Not should be.  Allowed.  Scorn is allowed.

"Scorn those who would portay the Prophet!"  How much better is that?

It's a pipe dream of the left that after defeating the likes of DogOnPorch and his ilk, Islam and Freedom will walk hand-in-hand into the sunset...BFF.

Just now, DogOnPorch said:

It's a pipe dream of the left that after defeating the likes of DogOnPorch and his ilk, Islam and Freedom will walk hand-in-hand into the sunset...BFF.

Ah.  Is it?  I wouldn't know.  I just prefer scorn to death.

48 minutes ago, dialamah said:

I've seen and been the 'recipient' of anti-immigrant attacks in public, and any claim that they're staged sounds like an over-the-top conspiracy theory to me.  Especially given that police investigate and charge these people.  

I would hope this goes both ways.  Because I've been screamed at, shouted at, slapped, assaulted (Yes, it went to court), lied to and treated as a sub-human by Muslim immigrants because I am a white woman.  I watched in horror as a group of them attacked an Israeli girl on lline, outlining all the barbaric ways they wanted her and her family to die.  To a person, every one of the Muslims I have met and interacted with have been angry, unhappy, violent - both verbally and physically.

Edit to add:  I really never gave much thought to Muslims until I lived amongst them and had to figure out WTF is wrong with these people?

Edited by Goddess
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

Aren't we the two here that the IRA took a stab at?

Sh!t happens...sometimes to you.

Absolutely, but to go back to the original comment, it says that scorn would be the appropriate punishment for Islamophobia in Canada.  As long as that is not Government mandated scorn, I'm okay with it.  Scorn is covered by the same freedom of speech principles that cover Islamophobia.  Either could be justified.  Either could be ridiculous.  All are allowed.

17 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

So if Islam isn't granted what you and its defenders deem proper respect, the culprit will be branded an Islamophobe and scorned by Islam's proponents...like you.

Saying  "Islam is a patriarchal religion which supports misogynistic attitudes" is a legit criticism and discussions can be held around that. 

Saying "Muslims are misogynists and want to turn all of Canada into a misogynistic state" is an Islamaphobic statement and should be scorned.

Saying "Islamic terrorism is a problem and needs to be addressed" is a legit criticism and discussions can be held around that.

Saying "Islam is a death cult and our sworn enemies" is an Islamaphobic statement and should be scorned.

Hope that helps clarify for you the difference between statements based on fear (aka Islamaphobia) and statements that aren't.

12 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Saying  "Islam is a patriarchal religion which supports misogynistic attitudes" is a legit criticism and discussions can be held around that. 

Saying "Muslims are misogynists and want to turn all of Canada into a misogynistic state" is an Islamaphobic statement and should be scorned.

Over 60% of Muslim women in Canada now wear head coverings in order to avoid arousing men. Can I be scornful of that?

Just now, Argus said:

Are we allowed to have scorn for Islam?

What do you think?

I sure do.  But then, I have scorn for all organizations that base the lives of their members on the dictates and prognostications of a fictitious creature.

3 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

What do you think?

I sure do.  But then, I have scorn for all organizations that base the lives of their members on the dictates and prognostications of a fictitious creature.

If you have scorn for that organization, how can you not have scorn for those who dedicate their lives to the beliefs of that organization? Who wrap themselves in bedsheets every day of their lives, for example, because of that organization?