Turkish music

Altai

One of the biggest differences in Turkish and other languages, we can make a statement with all-in-one word while you can do the same with a complate sentence in another language.

For example the word "kurtulamiyorum" in the lyrics of the song below means "I cant get rid of you" in English.

Edited by Altai

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an Ottoman Army song.

Lyrics

Unwary will never know how to fight and will never know the fun in the battlefield,
Thrones and skies will shake when brave soldiers yell "Allahu Akbar",
Fight for Allah and there is no doubt that victory is ours, we are given promise for it.

Edited by Altai

4 hours ago, August1991 said:

Political correctness? Multiculturalism?

Moderators: Please stop this poster's use of this forum for self-promotion.

Hi, this song below another song was written for the prophet Muhammad's best man Ali. The sword in the pic is his famous sword, shaped like as snake tongue.

Its hard to translate but I can try if you want.

This is another old song. The singer had to flee abroad for political pressures and threats. He died in a foreign country, in an unknown location, at an unknown time, for an unknown reason.

Edited by Altai

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎18 at 1:39 AM, August1991 said:

Political correctness? Multiculturalism?

Moderators: Please stop this poster's use of this forum for self-promotion.

It would have been nice to have a deeper "smarter" discussion on the music here and lends to an opportunity to otherwise learn about other kinds of music.  For example "I like a song" could explain it is a ballad and tells a story i.e. incorporates impressions of life in wherever, and played in a period.  Or even it was "bright" or "majestically played" - really there is nothing to draw - I agree August this discussion is not encouraging.  

I've quite enjoyed this thread. 

For example, rap is horrible even in other languages.  Other than that, I can only listen and enjoy - not much to discuss really just like that other thread on music which is a mile wide and an inch deep. 

If you don't like the thread then how about ignoring it? 

4 hours ago, RB said:

It would have been nice to have a deeper "smarter" discussion on the music here and lends to an opportunity to otherwise learn about other kinds of music.  For example "I like a song" could explain it is a ballad and tells a story i.e. incorporates impressions of life in wherever, and played in a period.  Or even it was "bright" or "majestically played" - really there is nothing to draw - I agree August this discussion is not encouraging.  

I agree.

I travel abroad often and enjoy listening to the car radio (rental or taxi). I now use my phone to record local pop music, to figure out later. (Shazam and Spotify sometimes work but are very western local... )

This song below is from my homeland, so Central Asia. The place where we came to Anatolia from. My father side is Sejuk Turk, so they came over Iran and mother side is Horasan Turk, so came from Russian Caucasus part. I dont understand big part of lyrics but it makes me cry always. 

23 hours ago, August1991 said:

I agree.

I travel abroad often and enjoy listening to the car radio (rental or taxi). I now use my phone to record local pop music, to figure out later. (Shazam and Spotify sometimes work but are very western local... )

hmm I travel around a bit and I do bring the music back with me - somehow it is not the same when you blast it at home.

What I was articulating it would be nice to learn more - I am interested the Turkish music.  

For example, so I am interested in Great Big World and Christina Aguilera  "Say Something" ballad is full of emotions, when you play on piano, the arrangement of the chords and voice just gets you to a certain je ne sais quoi and I don't have to post the video or audio - I think this is what August was getting at.

Prior I was never into rap or reggae music, but now I have a different view of this music and how a message can be carried.  I love the mixing of the music Sia Cheap Thrills is a fun song and spans one octave.  Check check folks like Maria Carey range G#2-G#7 - is in the world records - sheese. Two days ago I was chatting with a group of under 29 and give some lines from one of  "the killers" song.  Needless to say they were understandingly shocked.  Music translates and connects.

27 minutes ago, RB said:

For example, so I am interested in Great Big World and Christina Aguilera  "Say Something" ballad is full of emotions, when you play on piano, the arrangement of the chords and voice just gets you to a certain je ne sais quoi and I don't have to post the video or audio - I think this is what August was getting at.

Good for you. Consider taking it to the other thread about "what are you listening to now?"

This thread is about Turkish music. 

Maybe the creator of this thread is not articulate enough in English and/or music to discuss things further? I know I'm not (about music). 

Maybe asking a few questions before going all "shut her down" would have endeared me to you rather than thinking you, like august, have certain issues when the music ain't white enough. 

Your curiosity into Turkish music isn't enough to appreciate a thread being created with a person selecting the tunes for you?  You are discouraged because it lacks the kind of discussion you yourself didn't even attempt to partake in?

And no, I don't think neither you nor August have travelled enough nor have articulated enough  to expunge that stain. 

Edited by msj