Afghan Bride (6 yrs old) Traded for Goat - Baaa Humbug

jbg

Girl, six, is forced to marry 55-year-old man in exchange for a GOAT being given to her father in Afghanistan* | Daily Mail Online

This article details an interesting piece of cultural exotica; a father traded his six year old daughter for a goat. One wonders, was the goat to be used for agricultural or other purposes? Goats can be good for milk, for slaughter, for companionship or as pets. In local culture they are probably a very versatile animal.

I'll admit this thread is a bit lighter than my normal fare.

Edited by jbg

Don't sell the trade short. He also received rice, tea, sugar, and cooking oil, along with the goat.

I will admit that when my older son was about a month old I had the cashier at the grocery store weigh him by putting him on the conveyor. They said they couldn't calculate a price, since red heads are more expensive in my neck of the woods.

Maybe they did since the man trading for her was arrested by authorities and the father losing his parental rights.

Then again, maybe nothing changed and trading children off was always looked down upon.

What? You mean we can't paint the entire country with the same brush and he was actually arrested? What kind of "evil Muslim" post does that make???

Why, Orthodox Jews would never do this kind of thing, would they??? http://forward.com/sisterhood/136547/jewish-child-brides-%C2%A0why-the-barbaric-practice-o/

What? You mean we can't paint the entire country with the same brush and he was actually arrested? What kind of "evil Muslim" post does that make???

Why, Orthodox Jews would never do this kind of thing, would they??? http://forward.com/sisterhood/136547/jewish-child-brides-%C2%A0why-the-barbaric-practice-o/

My OP didn't even mention religion. It referred to "cultural exotica" without even naming the culture.

Edited by jbg

Why, Orthodox Jews would never do this kind of thing, would they??? http://forward.com/sisterhood/136547/jewish-child-brides- why-the-barbaric-practice-o/

My OP didn't even mention religion. It referred to "cultural exotica" without even naming the culture.

It didn't have to...

Why not? Do you enjoy putting words into peoples' mouths or thoughts into peoples' brains? You mentioned and demonized Islam. I didn't.

Girl, six, is forced to marry 55-year-old man in exchange for a GOAT being given to her father in Afghanistan* | Daily Mail Online

This article details an interesting piece of cultural exotica; a father traded his six year old daughter for a goat. One wonders, was the goat to be used for agricultural or other purposes? Goats can be good for milk, for slaughter, for companionship or as pets. In local culture they are probably a very versatile animal.

I'll admit this thread is a bit lighter than my normal fare.

I know Id trade YOU for a goat! :P

Don't sell the trade short. He also received rice, tea, sugar, and cooking oil, along with the goat.

Well that does make it look like a better deal for all alright. :D I would have asked for three goats. Not much of a whiz. :blink:

But what a backwards country indeed. To be able to do things like this is incredible. I can only thank gawd that I was not born over there as one of them. It makes me wonder as to what kind of brain matter do these people use in their heads? And in Canada we are bringing in many from this country who are most likely of the same mentality. What kinds of deals are they making here behind closed doors? In letting in this these types of immigrants just lowers Canada's standards of decency and morals and values of bringing in proper immigrants like we once did many decades ago until Pete Trudeau changed our immigration policy, and decided to let the rest of the world in en masse. We are certainly going to pay for it very soon, and something that our children and grandchildren have to look forward too and live with. With the liberals in power, things will surely get worse. Sad.

Edited by taxme

Oh the man is Muslim you say? Oh golly gee, an Afghan, you're right! No no no, I hadn't even noticed, I would never say anything about Muslims. Oh all those other threads where I did? Pshah! Never.

I personally think the problem is a tribal culture, not an Islamic problem.