Get ready Pokémon Go coming soon

RB

If I understand this (and I'm not sure that I do...)

Pokemon was a card/strategy game. Players would have a deck of Pokemon cards and do "duels". Each card has a different Pokemon ("Pocket monster"?) character, and each character has different strengths and weaknesses. You win by playing cards from your deck that nullify your opponent's cards.

There was also a Pokemon animated TV show, which dramatized these Pokemon duels... the TV show characters would duel each other but instead of using Pokemon playing cards, they would summon actual Pokemon monsters to battle.

This new Pokemon Go game, as I understand it, combines the original Pokemon card game with the "augmented reality" possibilities of cell phones. Your Pokemon Go game will send you to locations to duel against another Pokemon Go player... kind of like the Pokemon animated TV show, except without actual monsters being summoned.

-k

Theres a card game but it's probably better known from the video game franchise.

Durerrr that thing you like is STUPID! And you're STUPID for liking it! /s

I posted this elsewhere, but maybe we could just jack these people into some kind of matrix so they can look for their pokethings without incommoding passers by. Eventually we could just use them for fertilizer. They wouldn't notice.

I posted this elsewhere, but maybe we could just jack these people into some kind of matrix so they can look for their pokethings without incommoding passers by. Eventually we could just use them for fertilizer. They wouldn't notice.

That's the solution to Global Warming. Make us all live in the Matrix.

Cop car gets hit by a guy playing "this dumbassed game" while driving.

Cop doesn't kill him. I wasn't sure which thread to post it in.

It's on Digg. I can't post the link.

You want people to die because you don't like their choice in entertainment? You need to re-evaluate your priorities.

There are many issues with this 'game' and already privacy issues and security issues have cropped up. I already see the lemmings gather in areas looking like idiots. I don't wish death upon them, but there are gonna be a lot of Darwin situations.

People hanging out in parks and at points of interest look like idiots?

Look, I don't get it but that's probably because I'm old and Pokemon means nothing to me. However, I think it's pretty great that a video game is getting people out of the house and into public places where people are meant to gather. It's building a sense of community for people who may have been otherwise isolated. IMO, this is a great thing. People are getting out, getting excersize, and having fun. That's awesome. Those who keep calling them "idiots" and "losers" come off as cantankerous killjoys to me.

Cop car gets hit by a guy playing "this dumbassed game" while driving.

Cop doesn't kill him. I wasn't sure which thread to post it in.

It's on Digg. I can't post the link.

How can this be anymore dangerous then people driving/walking while texting or taking dangerous selfies. Do we ban smartphones?

How can this be anymore dangerous then people driving/walking while texting or taking dangerous selfies. Do we ban smartphones?

Did I suggest banning this game? It's no different. They're all stupid.

I do hope the guy falls foul of some distracted driving law.

Had my first first hand experience with this game.

Was waiting for the wife to finish yoga to walk her home and two guys were waiting in the parking lot for the vehicles to leave so they could paint the parking lines.

The young man went down the street for some reason and came back and told his older co-worker he caught something or other.

So we talked about the game and he tells me that he has cast a lure to get more creatures to come to the area.

But then his phone dies.

The wife comes out of yoga and we start walking home so I tell her this.

She pulls out her phone and loads up PG and there are all these creatures around us (virtually).

So she nails a bunch of them with the the poke balls and gets a whole bunch of points.

Then she put the phone away so we could navigate thru traffic and go home.

It was kind of fun but I'm sticking to Twitter.

There's good and bad playing this game. The good is that people walking are losing weight and getting healthier but the bad is some people are using it to break and enter and taking things and blaming it on the game, at least, that's one one US women said on a radio program I was listening too. This seems to be a treasure hunt kinda game is it?

I thought it was similar to geo caching which in a way it is but you are not trading anything real, or just finding a cache. It also requires a data plan which could use a lot of data depending on your settings and so on. Parents had better watch the data limits. It's available now for downloading in Canada on Google Play.

30 million users in just two weeks. Wow. It took Facebook three years, Snapchat two years and WhatsApp 18 months to get that many users. There has been an immediate surge of investment into augmented reality because of PG success. This is a good thing, but does the popularity cannibalize use of other tech, like say the new virtual reality products? AR just requires a phone that everyone has VR requires a couple hundred in new gear.

I was out for a walk last night and was blown away at the number of kids out at 10-10:30 pm hunting Pokemon in parks and downtown areas. I'm interested to see if it has staying power. I played Ingress, the first AR game by Ninatic, but quickly got bored of it. The additional Pokemon battling aspect should help with that, but the data usage may be a problem.

I've heard it mentioned on FB and Twitter that PG is a death sentence for American black men. What happens when a black person is suspiciously walking in circles in public places? The cops get called and, as we know, unarmed black men are between 3.5 and 4 times more likely to be shot by police than their white counterparts. Examples like this are a chilling reminder of how pervasive and psychologically impactful, racism still is.