Independence Day: Part II

August1991

I'm taking one for the team and going to see this movie with my husband tonight. Trade off is we go to the VIP 19+ where at least I can drink in the theatre.

My review will probably suck but I'll let you know what Mr. BCC thought of it.

I'm taking one for the team and going to see this movie with my husband tonight. Trade off is we go to the VIP 19+ where at least I can drink in the theatre.

My review will probably suck but I'll let you know what Mr. BCC thought of it.

Similar situation: I wanted the 3D glasses ("Let's do this in style!") but my "partner" said the glasses make her dizzy. We're going next week in 2D.

Will report. (Or as Russell Peters would say, the White House will get a beating... )

Edited by August1991

Similar situation: I wanted the 3D glasses ("Let's do this in style!") but my "partner" said the glasses make her dizzy. We're going next week in 2D.

Will report. (Or as Russell Peters would say, the White House will get a beating... )

I said my review would suck and I won't disappoint. The movie was cheesy as hell, but on the bright side I liked that in addition to the usual token Chinese character, they threw in token Africans. Also, liked the Madam President aspect and eyeball's favourite concept of 'earthling'.

Overall, there was only a few smh's, two facepalms and one combo.

Mr. BCC loves action and sci-fi (nobody is perfect, I love him anyway) and he liked it. He said the story was good (at which point I was genuinely embarrassed that I hadn't noticed there was a story) and he thought the negative hype was a bit overblown.

The theatre was packed and a lot of people clapped at the end so it's probably not as bad as the reviews.

Off topic - if anyone ever decides to hit the VIP 19 plus in order to 'accidentally' fall asleep during the movie, I recommend going to the late movie. Otherwise you may 'accidentally' end up watching the whole thing. :(

As I'm probably never going to see it, could someone please explain how Data came back to life?

He wasn't an artificial life form in this show too was he? Because that would actually be pretty cool.

If it would be a spoiler, I'll take a PM. Because I know what a bone of contention spoilers are...

Saw it abroad in a foreign language so my comments may miss some of the subtlety of the dialogue.

Paragraph 1: Sadly, the White House did not get a beating - it was left high and dry. Instead, London, England was destroyed (not by referendum but in the dark, and I was half asleep at that point anyway. I'm still waiting for a CGI movie in bright sunlight with peta-byte data wranglers..... )

Paragraph 2: I can understand the commercial/politically correct Chinese female pilot/supposed love interest. But what's with the female US President who looks like Sandra Bullock instead of Angela Merkel or, uh, Hillary Rodham? (Bonus question: What's the difference between Sandra Bullock and Sarah Palin? Answer: About 6 months.) Anyway, the US president dies - but I think the Chinese pilot survives. [spoilers ahead.] Whatever.

Paragraph 3: Nevertheless, the last 20 minutes are worth the price of the ticket. You get to see Judd Hirsch (the psychologist in Rob Redford's first attack on America: Ordinary People) drive a school bus filled with kids across the Nevada desert to avoid an Alien Ant. Trust me: it's hilarious. I think the movie even shows the Blue Bird insignia.

Edited by August1991

The first ID wasn't as good as it was made out to be, and it sounds like this one isn't as bad as advertised.

Ever notice a tendency in the media and movie reviewers to quickly jump on the bandwagon at the first hint of a blockbuster losing money? Sort of a train wreck that they can make sure goes off the rails. The lemming effect, maybe.

The original was once of the worst big budget films ever made. The story line is so incredibly stupid its surreal.

It was a waste of two hours of your life, and Id be surprised if this one isn't terrible too. Ill watch it in ten years maybe once its free on TV.... Actually even then, probably not.

• 2 weeks later...

I own the first ID and watched it again. You're right, that is one stupid movie, my memory was skewed. Then I saw the latest ID. Waste of money, why do I get sucked into these things?!

For me it's mainly so I can see what kind of effects thay can come up with these days. I'll wait for it to be shown on tv, but I never go to the cinema anyway.