People are getting fed up with natives

Yes, and impoliteness too - an emerging issue that probably deserves it's own thread. Anyone else notice the flies gathering around here as other web-forums throw in their towels and shut down?

I was only involved in one other recently, and that was a soccer forum. It shut down because two people wouldn't stop fighting, believe it or not.

Politeness is nice, but it can't be mandated, surely?

I was only involved in one other recently, and that was a soccer forum. It shut down because two people wouldn't stop fighting, believe it or not.

Politeness is nice, but it can't be mandated, surely?

I think it could be achieved by moderation. Perhaps in the future computing power will be sufficient for some automation of the task - I'd focus that effort on weeding out deliberate mis-interpretation of terms and definitions. It's not being mealy-mouthed that ruins a discussion its the tendency to be mealy-eared and pretending what was said is something else and then attacking that. Unless I'm mistaken this sort of sloppy debating style is not tolerated in a formally moderated debate.

More substantial handouts does not = helps. Often it makes things worse. Some politicians are fine with that, a permanent dependent class is sometimes useful for votes.

Those aren't handouts.

Those are debt payments and legal recognitions long overdue.

The Supreme Court is bound to honour the Crown's treaties.

And so are we.

You speak nonsense with questionable motivation.

This audit did not include any Lands Settlement Claims that are maintained in third party trusts and therefore, are subject to different management processes.

Key words....different management processes. Meaning they are being looked at and not some conspiracy theory as you suggest.

And the shady dealings continue: When this litigation was first submitted in 1995, the government "ceased all research dollars" for Six Nations Lands and Resources. The litigation is still in preparation and covers financial transactions for all historic claims.

We have already been through this one http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/topic/23721-white-people-cant-live-here-six-nations-racism/page-19#entry976145

No matter how many times someone shows you the complete story, you just end up saying "We'll let the courts decide". That is until the courts actually don't go your way then its a travesty.

Interesting development:

catholic-church-canada-repudiates-doctrine-of discovery/terra-nullius/

In the first of two texts, the Catholic signatories express support for the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People as a way forward to reconciliation between Indigenous and non-Indigenous people in Canada.

The second of the two Catholic documents considers and repudiates illegitimate concepts and principles used by Europeans to justify the seizure of land previously held by Indigenous Peoples and often identified by the terms Doctrine of Discovery and terra nullius.

The signatories say now is an appropriate time to issue a public statement in response to the errors and falsehoods perpetuated, often by Christians, during and following the so-called Age of Discovery. After outlining five principles which reject how these legal constructs have been used to disenfranchise Indigenous Peoples

The Supreme Court has already repudiated the religious 'justification' for seizing land from 'heathens'.

The British Monarchy did not 'seize land' using the religious justification, but made treaties using specific processes and compensation for access to lands and resources.

It was the British North American/Canadian governments and corporations that seized land in violation of treaties, with involvement of the churches.

I wonder if the Catholic Church (and others) will now be recognizing Aboriginal Title to it's land holdings.

?

Edited by jacee

One answer to the aboriginal needs arguments for more funding may be a guaranteed minimum income for all Canadians. I believe that it would eliminate the special funding and force aboriginals to decide if they want to live where it is very, very expensive to live or move South where a guaranteed income of about $20,000 is enough to be comfortable.

What would we do about the people who are fed up with lefties though?

Not sure if you are referring to my post about guaranteed minimum incomes but if it is, you are mistaken. The concept of a GMI is not considered a "left" leaning position. It is supported by very many on the right including most Libertarians.

Treat them the same as those who are currently on welfare, or EI, or on reserves or disabled or ...?

Welfare and disabled are two different things. So long as we reserve the right to not give anything to someone who can work but won't, I'm all for it.

Welfare and disabled are two different things. So long as we reserve the right to not give anything to someone who can work but won't, I'm all for it.

People on welfare, disabled, many aboriginals and others who are on some forms on public social assistance and those folks who do not want to work have the same thing in common. They are receiving government money and are not working for it.

So a person does not want to be employed in legitimate employment. What do you suggest we do?

People on welfare, disabled, many aboriginals and others who are on some forms on public social assistance and those folks who do not want to work have the same thing in common. They are receiving government money and are not working for it.

So a person does not want to be employed in legitimate employment. What do you suggest we do?

Nothing whatsoever. Anyone who can't work, we should help. Anyone who can but won't, we should do nothing for, except offer them jobs.

Edited by bcsapper

Nothing whatsoever. Anyone who can't work, we should help. Anyone who can but won't, we should do nothing for, except offer them jobs.Interesting.

Interesting. And if he chooses not to work and has a family then what do you suggest? Where is he/she going to get enough money for a home and food for him and his family?

If he/she is single and chooses not to work then what do you suggest? Where (how) is he/she going to get enough money for a home and food?

Edited by Big Guy

Interesting. And if he chooses not to work and has a family then what do you suggest? Where is he/she going to get enough money for a home and food for him and his family?

If he/she is single and chooses not to work then what do you suggest? Where (how) is he/she going to get enough money for a home and food?

They wouldn't. They would have to work, or starve. Or throw themselves on the mercy of gullible relatives. The children, if any, could be taken in by social services.

Not sure if you are referring to my post about guaranteed minimum incomes but if it is, you are mistaken. The concept of a GMI is not considered a "left" leaning position. It is supported by very many on the right including most Libertarians.

That sure seems to fly in the face of what I see and hear around here. Edited by eyeball