Nationalism is the doom of all politics...

I'm not British, I'm Finnish but I'm extremely interested about the prospect of Brexit because that could set off an avalanche as Britain, unlike Finland, is a major important country.

• 3 months later...

This coming weekend marks the 25th anniversary of the failed coup-attempt in Moscow, which meant that the Soviet Union was finished.

The attempted coup also prompted the Baltic States to declare that their independence was restored.

This coming weekend marks the 25th anniversary of the failed coup-attempt in Moscow, which meant that the Soviet Union was finished.

The attempted coup also prompted the Baltic States to declare that their independence was restored.

Too many Americans apologize for the Vietnam War; they should not. Churchill never apologized for Dunkerque.

Like the British in Poland or Dunkerque, the American resolve to fight in Vietnam was part of a larger war, a larger victory.

Vietnam, like Korea and Berlin or Latvia, Cuba - even Chile - were various battles in a larger war that because of American resolve, we the West won.

Edited by August1991

Russians still insist that the Baltic States joined the Soviet Union voluntarily and therefore Russians see no reason to apologize for the occupation and near-genocide of those three countries.

Why does no one notice that the function of the likely concern for the Russians have to deal with access to the sea, and NOT to some apparent simple Nationalism? I can't say for certain whether this is the biggest part of the concern, but comparing how Iraq too had this same justification to attack Kuwait and was propagandized as to be about some irrationality of some dictator's hatred of non-Iraqis, to me, the LAND-LOCKING conditions that both prevent ease of 'free' trade in fair negotiable terms is highly common to most countries we are told are always about some 'cultural' type of discrimination. In more likely terms, the reverse occurs for the same reason: that those territories that have controllable access with measurable powers over another sovereignty to their economic well-being serve to be most interested in KEEPING their 'unfair' advantage as they utilize their accidental position of access as means to significantly TROLL those who need access to markets where optimized.

This is similar to the Palestinians as well.

I began this thread to point out how a broad definition of "Nationalism" is used to maintain power over others out of self interests based on some 'ethnic' concern. But these are also just the SMOKE SCREEN to the real issues beneath the surface that are INTENTIONALLY being dismissed. When the actual issues are hidden, the Nationalist ideals are more empowered as one side excuses their right against the other BASED on an false assumption of ethnic causation. These though only exasperate the problem by creating MORE (and justified) reactions of ethnic differentiation that creates the Nationalists to accelerate their false beliefs.

Germany shouldn't have apologized for WWII either... the hell with right/wrong. Might makes right dammit!

WTF?

====

America won the Cold War. The Soviet Union is no more. Why? Because ordinary Americans died in Vietnam.

Britain and Russia won WWII. Nazi Germany is no more. Why? Because ordinary British and Russians died in Dunkerque and Kursk.

Edited by August1991