US Theocracy

No more that forcing other non-evidence based concepts (e.g. beginning of life, "social justice", etc.)

The United States was not founded with a distinct separation of church and state as several colonies had official religions. The concept was not well developed until well after 1800.

Do you think eroding the barrier between church and state is a good thing? Do you feel it is a good idea to teach religious ideas in science class?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think eroding the barrier between church and state is a good thing? Do you feel it is a good idea to teach religious ideas in science class?

I think eroding the barrier between fact and fiction is not a good thing, as was done above. Religious topics are part of the social sciences (i.e. anthropology, economics, geography, history, psychology, social studies, and sociology.)

Not much of a barrier when it comes to school funding in Canada. Not good for your nation's image.

School funding is a provincial matter and it is a shame that some provinces still fund religious schools. However, in 1867 it was considered impossible to achieve a confederation without such a compromise. However, this can and will be corrected; for instance Quebec has eliminated the public funding of sectarian schools. Despite not wanting to appear anti-religious, Ontario and other provinces are edging ever closer to doing the same for cost reasons. Ontario could save 1 - 1.5 billion annually by eliminating the separate system.

On most fronts Canada is progressing in the right direction with regards to secular laws, equal human rights, etc. We just finished a decade led by a PM from a party dominated by social conservatives and yet still managed not to regress socially, by allowing my religion to creep into the public sphere. Despite his many failings, Stephen Harper did not prohibit abortion, ban gay marriage or encourage the teaching of religion in science class.

The situation is very different in the US. As Canada and the rest of the developed world is slowly becoming more secular, the US is doing the opposite. Republican led states are attempting to insert Christianity into the public school system and codify Christian morality into law on a seemingly daily basis. The example in the OP discusses a Republican attempt to teach religion in science class. In your opinion is that a good idea?

I think eroding the barrier between fact and fiction is not a good thing, as was done above. Religious topics are part of the social sciences (i.e. anthropology, economics, geography, history, psychology, social studies, and sociology.)

Why are you afraid to answer the question? It is ok to admit your party of choice is making mistakes, the world won't end.

School funding is a provincial matter and it is a shame that some provinces still fund religious schools.

So this is a good excuse for government funding of religious schools ? Doesn't help Canada's "image" if staunch separation is so important on the global stage.

The situation is very different in the US. As Canada and the rest of the developed world is slowly becoming more secular, the US is doing the opposite. Republican led states are attempting to insert Christianity into the public school system and codify Christian morality into law on a seemingly daily basis. The example in the OP discusses a Republican attempt to teach religion in science class. In your opinion is that a good idea?

If Canadian provinces can maintain funding for religious schools, then the elected representatives of U.S. states can pass legislation in support of religion as part of education curriculum. Christianity is already "codified" in Canada.

Why are you afraid to answer the question? It is ok to admit your party of choice is making mistakes, the world won't end.

I already answered the question in the affirmative many posts ago. Religion is part of the human condition and social sciences, and needn't be excluded for political purposes.

Provinces, plural? You mean province...Ontario. And can you explain why Roman Catholic schools are funded? Do you have any idea?

I don't care why the Canadian theocracy continues to fund religious schools, only that it depicts the political will to do so, same as legislation that supports religious references in Idaho education.

Other provinces besides Ontario also have "separate school" funding.

I already answered the question in the affirmative many posts ago. Religion is part of the human condition and social sciences, and needn't be excluded for political purposes.

Should it be excluded for perhaps leading young teenagers down the garden path rather than political reasons?

Should it be excluded for perhaps leading young teenagers down the garden path rather than political reasons?

I think religion should be taught to teenagers in the same way STDs are. Something to fear and avoid at all costs.

Think how nice the world would be in a generation or two...

I think religion should be taught to teenagers in the same way STDs are. Something to fear and avoid at all costs.

Think how nice the world would be in a generation or two...

You can bet that when a school district introduces the bible in the curriculum, sex Ed goes out the window.

Nope....and to quote a great Paul Simon tune:

When I think back

On all the crap I learned in high school

It's a wonder

I can think at all

And though my lack of education

Hasn't hurt me none

I can read the writing on the wall

Nope....and to quote a great Paul Simon tune:

When I think back

On all the crap I learned in high school

It's a wonder

I can think at all

And though my lack of education

Hasn't hurt me none

I can read the writing on the wall

Can you come up with your own personal response.

I don't care why the Canadian theocracy continues to fund religious schools, only that it depicts the political will to do so, same as legislation that supports religious references in Idaho education.

Other provinces besides Ontario also have "separate school" funding.

Not even Ontario's Catholic schools teach the bible in science classes. Only the most painfully uneducated fools do such a stupid thing.

• 1 month later...

Forget religious freedom, it seems the Christian right is intent on forcing itself on everyone:

-Tennessee Republicans have passed a bill that would make the Bible the state's official book. http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2016/04/04/bill-make-bible-official-state-book-heads-haslam/82625250/

-PayPal shelved plans to build an operations centre in North Carolina because of an anti-LGBT law passed by the Christian right. https://www.yahoo.com/news/paypal-axes-north-carolina-expansion-over-200622429.html

-The governor of Georgia had to veto a similar bill after threats from Disney, the NFL and others to pull business out of the state.

Not wanting to be a Christian theocracy didn't even occur to them. I'd understand if they wanted to make The Firm, the official book of Tennessee but the Bible is a little ridiculous.