MP's back

Topaz

The MP's are back and some things never change, at least, for the Conservatives. When asking a questions to the PM, Rona has to put to put it in a sarcastic way and get personal about his time in Davos. Don't they know Canadians don't like those ways and it was one reason to vote them out? The Liberals are planning some changes made by the Conservatives and things could get heated up more when things move along to do so. http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/hall-parliament-returns-liberals-commons-1.3417851

The MP's are back and some things never change, at least, for the Conservatives. When asking a questions to the PM, Rona has to put to put it in a sarcastic way and get personal about his time in Davos. Don't they know Canadians don't like those ways and it was one reason to vote them out? The Liberals are planning some changes made by the Conservatives and things could get heated up more when things move along to do so. http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/hall-parliament-returns-liberals-commons-1.3417851

Trudeau's conduct in Davos was embarrassing. Sending Ryan Seacrest would given us more serious gravitas.

Let's go back to 2012, when Harper's speech announced changes to pension and OAS and then told Europe and the US they were not good at handling their financial crisis! http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/major-changes-coming-to-canadas-pension-system-harper-says-in-davos-speech

yup - changes Harper didn't have the nerve to announce directly to Canadians... but hey, no worries seniors - there's a new sheriff in town!

That are the rules in case you did not know. But did harper not cut his pension that could cost him up to 2 million if he lives long enough.

is that the same Harper, eligible to collect a 6-figure pension at 55, who raised seniors eligibility for CPP/OAS from 65 to 67 years of age? That guy?

is that the same Harper, eligible to collect a 6-figure pension at 55, who raised seniors eligibility for CPP/OAS from 65 to 67 years of age? That guy?

Yep - he's the guy who raised OAS eligibility from 65 to 67 starting in 2023 and phased in over a period of 6 years (2029)......all to create more sustainability in funding while acknowledging that people are living longer and working longer. Yep - that guy.

PS: Please provide a cite for raising CPP eligibility to 67.

I believe that those who we send to Ottawa deserve what they are being paid and their consequent pensions. As to effectiveness of previous leaders, I have learned to wait at least 20 years to see what legislation that they pushed through was still in play.

Harper was never really liked personally by both his opponents and his allies. You can sense the change in those of the previous PMO inner circle who were re-elected. But you do not have to be likable to be effective. Time will tell.

Perhaps you missed my request for a cite regarding changing the age of eligibility for CPP?

geezaz! Another guy with a 'hot-to-trot' gotcha... ok, ok... that should have read GIS/OAS instead of CPP/OAS! Yup Simple... you got me! Of course I didn't bother to highlight that this was Harper (with his 5-figure pension in hand at 55) going after the most vulnerable of Canada's seniors, raising the related eligibility by 2 years from 65 to 67 years of age. Nor did I question you on your claim that this was a measure taken in relation to concerns over the sustainability of OAS - a claim that received significant critical onslaught doubting concerns over sustainability.

I hope what I'm about to say doesn't cause problems with some on here, but again today in the House the Tories kept going on and on about the unemployment in Alberta cause by the oil prices. I'm truly sorry for what they are going through but hey, other Canadians are too and those other Canadians weren't making the huge wages that the oil sector was paying their workers and they should have known to save over spending. I also know that being an MP from Alberta, they are expected to get up and raise the topic but like every other Canadian worker affect by layoffs, it'll take time, so apply to EI and wait.

geezaz! Another guy with a 'hot-to-trot' gotcha... ok, ok... that should have read GIS/OAS instead of CPP/OAS! Yup Simple... you got me! Of course I didn't bother to highlight that this was Harper (with his 5-figure pension in hand at 55) going after the most vulnerable of Canada's seniors, raising the related eligibility by 2 years from 65 to 67 years of age. Nor did I question you on your claim that this was a measure taken in relation to concerns over the sustainability of OAS - a claim that received significant critical onslaught doubting concerns over sustainability.

There - was that really so hard to do? Sustainability - yes, there was a good deal of counter-argument to that point but it's a fact that the percentage of "retirees" is increasing, people are living longer, working longer......and the raise in age won't happen until 2023 thru 2029. There's a reason why other G8 countries have already raised the age eligibility.

There - was that really so hard to do? Sustainability - yes, there was a good deal of counter-argument to that point but it's a fact that the percentage of "retirees" is increasing, people are living longer, working longer......and the raise in age won't happen until 2023 thru 2029. There's a reason why other G8 countries have already raised the age eligibility.

yes... you wanted to correct my typo - good on ya! Since you keep pressing the point about implementation dates, the new sherriff in town has pledged to roll-back this sleezy Harper attempt to target the most vulnerable of Canada's seniors! Let me remind you of that roll-back and other changes coming in regards seniors:

The Liberal plan includes a promise to restore the eligibility for old age security and guaranteed income supplement back to 65, a new seniors price index to make sure those benefits keep up with rising costs, a 10 per cent boost to the guaranteed supplement for single low-income seniors and a pledge not to cut pension income splitting for seniors.