RomCom: Christian Guy/Girl falls for Muslim Girl/Guy

August1991

Nowadays, we're hearing about "integration". So, where is the Hollywood story to support?

For example, a Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

How about a Muslim guy who gives up Mohammed because he loves her; you know, a Pretty Woman style movie?

=====

IMHO, Hollywood now prefers fantasy where an old WASP is the enemy.

Romantic comedies lose money, certainly one involving a Muslim falling for a Christian, or indeed any Westerner.

Edited by August1991

BTW back to the OP.

Though not a Muslim family, the British movie Bend it Like Beckham deals the issue of a girl from a South Asian heritage balancing the appeals of Western society and traditional family from a different country.

I once saw a movie on a similar theme, called East Is East. It's about a London family of a Pakistani-raised father, his English wife, and their children. The father wants to pass on traditions to his children, but some of them, to varying degrees, reject tradition and adopt modernity, which is a source of conflict. "I want to show them a good way to live!" he protests at one point, when his wife confronts him over how he is trying to impose himself on their children. But ultimately he realizes that they will choose their own way. It's quite a good film.

Once upon a time, my internet circle of friends included an Egyptian woman from a wealthy family, and a Canadian man who was so smitten with her that he planned to convert to Islam so that he could marry her. He traveled to Egypt to meet her. Later on they met in Europe for a vacation together. I lost touch with them, so I don't know how things ultimately turned out.

-k

And once upon a time, there was a Frozen princess.

I seriously have no idea what you're getting at in referencing that.

Sorry but "East is East" dates from 1999.

Are you arguing that if that movie were made in 2015 the traditionalist father would be the "good guy" and their children seeking to abandon ethnic traditions and adopt modern English culture would be the "bad guys"?

-k

IMHO, Frozen was a crappy movie but at last it made (according to imdb, upwards of $500 million). But then, this is all about "opportunity cost". Each generation of kid needs a movie and Disney/Hollywood only gets one shot at a particular generation.

I suspect The Lion King was a bigger winner than Frozen.

Are you arguing that if that movie were made in 2015 the traditionalist father would be the "good guy" and their children seeking to abandon ethnic traditions and adopt modern English culture would be the "bad guys"?

No, I'd just like to see Hollywood make a movie where a Muslim guy (like Sidney Poitier) falls in love with a Christian girl (uh, Jennifer Lawrence).

Gawd, I hate this forum's editing software

Edited by August1991

• 1 month later...

Kimmy, in 1967, Stanley Kramer (progressive Hollywood) made a movie largely about the parents of a white girl who falls in love with a black guy. (Spoiler alert: Spencer Tracey is the father; Katherine Hepburn is the mother.)

At the time, it won many awards. "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" was considered a progressive, edgy, "make America, the world modern" movie.

Well, where is the 2016 equivalent?

Integration? Where is the edgy/progressive/Hollywood movie of a Muslim guy/girl falling in love with a Christian/atheist/Hindu guy/girl?

• 1 month later...

I once saw a movie on a similar theme, called East Is East. ....

Kimmy, I haven't seen this movie "East is East.

I would like to see a 21st century movie, "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" style, where a short fat white guy (IOW, Sydney Poitier - but white, short, fat, poor, Muslim) marries a beautiful, thin, tall, rich black girl from a Christian family.

As Chris Rock noted, I paraphrase,: "Nobody in Hollywood movies looks like anybody normal."

Edited by August1991