So Much For Tory Fiscal Stewardship

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has there ever been a government that didn't complain about the situation they were taking over the day after they got in?

If they didn't want the job they shouldn't have applied.

So, that's your excuse for Harper creating a structural deficit? The Liberals should have guessed that he would mismanage the fiscal situation so it's their fault?

So, that's your excuse for Harper creating a structural deficit? The Liberals should have guessed that he would mismanage the fiscal situation so it's their fault?

Why would I be making excuses? I'm saying that I have never come across a government that didn't whine about what was left by the last one as soon as they got in the door. My heart bleeds.

Why would I be making excuses? I'm saying that I have never come across a government that didn't whine about what was left by the last one as soon as they got in the door. My heart bleeds.

I'm not feeling sorry for the Liberals - I'm more concerned about the country. Politics is supposed to be about the country, not about the politicians.

I'm not feeling sorry for the Liberals - I'm more concerned about the country. Politics is supposed to be about the country, not about the politicians.

That idea, laudable though it is, is incompatible with our system.

Edited by bcsapper

Did Harper and the Conservatives take over the reins with no complaints about the former government? If so, good for them.

What I said is true. Every government's primary concern is re-election. The country comes second.

Did Harper and the Conservatives take over the reins with no complaints about the former government? If so, good for them.

Because, unlike Harper, Martin had some basic integrity when it came to reporting surpluses?

What I said is true. Every government's primary concern is re-election. The country comes second.

And every business's primary concern is money. The customer comes second. Or third.

Everyone put their own interests first. The trick to a system functioning well is to ensure that you have way of aligning interests. In the case of government, it starts with transparency and honest reporting. Like Harper promised, remember?

Because, unlike Harper, Martin had some basic integrity when it came to reporting surpluses?

And every business's primary concern is money. The customer comes second. Or third.

Everyone put their own interests first. The trick to a system functioning well is to ensure that you have way of aligning interests. In the case of government, it starts with transparency and honest reporting. Like Harper promised, remember?

Why do you keep bringing up Stephen Harper?

A respectable politician ought to put the interests of the country first. I'm sure they swear some oath or something, to do just that. If they want to put their own interests first, they are in the wrong job. Isn't that why it is referred to as "service"?

Edited by bcsapper

Why do you keep bringing up Stephen Harper?

Because it's his lies and fiscal mismanagement that have resulted in us being in the mess we're in. His economic policies intended to create Canada as an 'energy superpower' have hollowed out the manufacturing sector, leaving us more dependent on energy commodities. Which have no tanked. His ideologically motivated tax cuts have left us with a structural deficit. And, in case you didn't notice, the title of this thread is Tory Fiscal Stewardship (which is of course an oxymoron).

A respectable politician ought to put the interests of the country first. I'm sure they swear some oath or something, to do just that. If they want to put their own interests first, they are in the wrong job. Isn't that why it is referred to as "service"?

There is no way of measuring whether a given set of policies have "put the interests of the country first". Instead, we need to focus on transparency and honest reporting so that citizens can determine whether the policies have been successful.

Because it's his lies and fiscal mismanagement that have resulted in us being in the mess we're in. His economic policies intended to create Canada as an 'energy superpower' have hollowed out the manufacturing sector, leaving us more dependent on energy commodities. Which have no tanked. His ideologically motivated tax cuts have left us with a structural deficit. And, in case you didn't notice, the title of this thread is Tory Fiscal Stewardship (which is of course an oxymoron).

Yes, but why are you telling me?

There is no way of measuring whether a given set of policies have "put the interests of the country first". Instead, we need to focus on transparency and honest reporting so that citizens can determine whether the policies have been successful.

Different argument. You said yourself "Everyone put their own interests first.". Politicians shouldn't. They generally do, but they shouldn't.

Yes, 15% of it is related to infrastructure. Not going to help us a whole lot.

I have already posted why that isn't correct. The analysis you're talking about failed to account for the recovery of monies from ending the 3 current child benefit schemes.