Trudeau's Committment to Syrian Refugees - 25,000 by Year End

Others have as well...the photo seen in western media was clearly staged after the body was moved to a different location for a better shot:

https://anongalactic.com/syrian-boys-body-was-moved-before-photos-were-taken/

From your link;

Update: A close up of the soles of both shoes has found they are different boys. Although we were wrong on this occasion and quick to the conclusion it is always good to remain vigilant and open minded.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Others have as well...the photo seen in western media was clearly staged after the body was moved to a different location for a better shot:

https://anongalactic.com/syrian-boys-body-was-moved-before-photos-were-taken/

completely debunked! Perhaps you should actually read your own link, hey! You know, read the following from your own provided link:

Update: A close up of the soles of both shoes has found they are different boys. Although we were wrong on this occasion and quick to the conclusion it is always good to remain vigilant and open minded.

please try again; try harder

on edit: MLW member eyeball beat me to it!

Edited by waldo

I haven't heard/read that "might take up to a year" anywhere... what I did read reinforced was an 'end-of-February' date - do you have a cite to support your statement? And yes, you clearly want to be critical of either scenario... asking you to pick one limits your critical aim, yes?

Here ya go - from The Star....apologies, I should have said "more than a year". So....you tell me Waldo - why is it wrong to refer to it as reckless and irresponsible electioneering?

His government maintained that insistence even as players ranging from refugee settlement groups to Conservatives like Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall urged it to slow down.

Indeed, it maintained this brave front right up until Tuesday.

That’s when Immigration Minister John McCallum and other cabinet members admitted that the Liberals would, in fact, take more than a year to admit and process 25,000 government-sponsored Syrian refugees.

Some 10,000 refugees will be admitted by Dec. 31 of this year. But many of those are privately sponsored and had already been partially vetted under the Conservative regime.

Link: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/11/26/justin-trudeaus-backtracking-on-refugee-promise-casts-shadow-over-other-pledges-walkom.html

What part of "government sponsored" refugees do you not understand? Did you not read the article? Did you not understand that Trudeau committed to bringing in refugees that were over and above the 10,000 (mostly privately sponsored refugees that were initiated prior to the election? Did you not understand that? And that's why McCallum said it would likely take more than a year to satisfy the election promise.

Waldo - as I've mentioned already, Canadians elected a majority Liberal government - but like Harper, that does not mean that their leader is infallible - and like Harper, we should hold them accountable for their decisions. This one was reckless from the start.......

I'm not sure why the December 31st date was brought up. It was a mistake to ever say that, as it was never the real intention. I think they screwed up, said it, and were too prideful to back down for a time. The real promise was 25,000 refugees. That is being fulfilled.

I'm not sure why the December 31st date was brought up. It was a mistake to ever say that, as it was never the real intention. I think they screwed up, said it, and were too prideful to back down for a time. The real promise was 25,000 refugees. That is being fulfilled.

The Trudeau govt is a month old: Ottawa spends tally so far: 7 spending announcements totalling $2.849 billion. None to be spent in Canada.

The Trudeau govt is a month old: Ottawa spends tally so far: 7 spending announcements totalling $2.849 billion. None to be spent in Canada.

Oh, you read David Akin's Twitter too.

Seriously, the first month of Liberal government happened to fall in line 4 major international conferences. Parliament just opened, and is only open for a week. There's no rush to do most of this, as most of it wasn't to happen until 2016 - 2017 fiscal year anyway. The Liberals have fulfilled many of their international promises in this first month. Now they can focus much of their attention on governing Canada.

Oh, you read David Akin's Twitter too.

Seriously, the first month of Liberal government happened to fall in line 4 major international conferences. Parliament just opened, and is only open for a week. There's no rush to do most of this, as most of it wasn't to happen until 2016 - 2017 fiscal year anyway. The Liberals have fulfilled many of their international promises in this first month. Now they can focus much of their attention on governing Canada.

Yes. I will receive a nice tax free child care cheque every month. Close to $600 a month tax free.

What part of "government sponsored" refugees do you not understand? Did you not read the article? Did you not understand that Trudeau committed to bringing in refugees that were over and above the 10,000 (mostly privately sponsored refugees that were initiated prior to the election? Did you not understand that? And that's why McCallum said it would likely take more than a year to satisfy the election promise.

as I've said, now multiple times, 25,000 Syrian refugees by end of February - yes? Why would you persist in making a distinction over sponsorship... are you upset the Syrian refugee relocation target number will reach a total of... at least... 40,000 by end of 2016? Perhaps you should just come right out and state why you're against relocating that many Syrian refugees, regardless of timeline, regardless of sponsorship.

as I've said, now multiple times, 25,000 Syrian refugees by end of February - yes? Why would you persist in making a distinction over sponsorship...

Couldn't care less about what you've said. I was making a distinction over what was promised - that they would, with the help of the UN, identify 25,000 eligible Syrians and bring them to Canada by Dec. 31 - now Feb. 28. Haven't you been reading the papers - the provinces and cities getting ready for the 25,000 arrivals - hundreds coming each day? Private sponsorships don't need government support. No Waldo - the promise was - and is - for 25,000 government sponsored refugees and as McCallum said - it will likely take more than a year.

Couldn't care less about what you've said. I was making a distinction over what was promised - that they would, with the help of the UN, identify 25,000 eligible Syrians and bring them to Canada by Dec. 31 - now Feb. 28. Haven't you been reading the papers - the provinces and cities getting ready for the 25,000 arrivals - hundreds coming each day? Private sponsorships don't need government support. No Waldo - the promise was - and is - for 25,000 government sponsored refugees and as McCallum said - it will likely take more than a year.

I don't understand why you are getting all bent out of shape over a measly 2 month extension for the refugees (for govt sponsored and privately sponsored). Another 15,000 (govt sponsored) refugees from Syria and another 15,000 from other regions will be admitted by the end of 2016.

Instead of whining about the process, why not applaud Canadian citizens for stepping up to the plate to provide assistance (even though I feel far more should be admitted).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canada-fears-possible-backlash-against-syrian-refugees/article27543438/

I don't understand why you are getting all bent out of shape over a measly 2 month extension for the refugees (for govt sponsored and privately sponsored). Another 15,000 (govt sponsored) refugees from Syria and another 15,000 from other regions will be admitted by the end of 2016.

Instead of whining about the process, why not applaud Canadian citizens for stepping up to the plate to provide assistance (even though I feel far more should be admitted).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canada-fears-possible-backlash-against-syrian-refugees/article27543438/

The whining seems to be more in your court as you ignore the facts. I commend Canadians and the last government for facilitating private placement of nearly 10,000 Syrians. I've said all along that Trudeau's promise of an additional 25,000 government-sponsored Syrian refugees by December 31, then February 28 and now according to McCallum, more than a year out was nothing short of reckless. If Trudeau is as reckless on making similar knee-jerk decrees on Climate Change (e,g. setting an example for the world) - or the Aboriginal file (e.g. implementing all 94 recommendations from the T & R commission), we'll all be in deep trouble.

IInstead of whining about the process, why not applaud Canadian citizens for stepping up to the plate to provide assistance (even though I feel far more should be admitted).

If these sponsors would agree to pay for all costs of the refugees on a permanent basis, I'd be more sanguine. In my opinion, in fact, if the refugees fail to be self-supporting we should seize the houses, savings and pensions of their sponsors in order to support them.

If these sponsors would agree to pay for all costs of the refugees on a permanent basis, I'd be more sanguine. In my opinion, in fact, if the refugees fail to be self-supporting we should seize the houses, savings and pensions of their sponsors in order to support them.

So, now I get it. If they can support themselves from the get go, they can be allowed into Canada, even though their ideology could turn them into raving murderers against non-Muslim Canadians.

So, now I get it. If they can support themselves from the get go, they can be allowed into Canada, even though their ideology could turn them into raving murderers against non-Muslim Canadians.

Discussing one of the shortcomings of Trudeau's idiotic plan does not negate the problems of the others.

Personally I would bring no Syrian refugees to Canada. If we really wanted to help Syrian refugees we would send the money to Turkey and Jordan to help pay for the camps there.

Edited by Argus

....Personally I would bring no Syrian refugees to Canada. If we really wanted to help Syrian refugees we would send the money to Turkey and Jordan to help pay for the camps there.

Asked before: What's so special about Syrian refugees compared to millions of others (in Asia/Africa)?