How About Merging NDP and Green?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Elizabeth May is by far our best party-leader and she is incredibly smart. I almost voted Green this time around when my NDP candidate was polling very strong and I thought I'd increase the Green popular vote, but I ended up voting NDP after all when Liberal support increased.

Truth is, even if I'd voted Green, I'm more ideologically in line with the NDP and I love what they stand for. Everything from social policy to economic to Clarity Act. There is not much I can think of in their platform with which I disagree.

The Greens have some policies that I think are a bit too idealist, at least for a North American audience. 20 years ago, I could have been an ardent Green supporter but I've becomes a bit jaded by humanity as the years wore on.

I love what each party brings to the table, I would hate to see them merge. I think things were best when we had Alliance, Reform, Liberals, NDP and Greens.

A little something for everyone.

``Democracy includes the meaning of ignoring minority, do you want to be ignored as you become one of minority?``

No it doesn`t, it means ``rule by the citizenry.`` In Ancient Greek Democracy every citizen was included.

I know, democracy means rule by the citizenry. However, you forget the death of Socrates.

It's also worth noting that...it's kind of how representative democracy is supposed to work. We pick people to represent us and our interests. We don't always get our way, but that's the way things worth. It's also worth noting that we are free to engage when we want.

In Canada, who we pick does not represent us and our interests, and even does not represents her or his own conscience. She or he can only be tool of her or his party! Every Canadian needs paying attention to this crucial point! That is our democracy!

Maybe you do. I'm going out tomorrow morning about 7:30 to do my bit to select the next Parliament, which will, one way or another, pick the next Government. I personally know the person most likely to be MP, and while I won't vote for him, he's a good man and I'll know he'll speak for my riding. I involve myself in the political process between elections, as well.

Do you really know he will speak for your riding? As far as I know, no matter what he will speak in the house of Commons, he will vote only on the need of his party. This is the actuality of our Canadian political system.

We got a government most people didn't want. A government that didn't even bother to try representing most of the people. You can believe that old "you get out of it what you put into it" crap but the reality speaks for itself.

We deserve a good government in a good political system. If it is not, we should act to improve.

In a democracy, as in all other aspects of life, you're not going to get everything you want. If that's your expectation, then there isn't a political system that will ever deliver you that expectation.

And frankly, even for the Tories, the management end of things wasn't that bad. It was just that under Harper they became such insufferable arrogant jerks. Their time has come and gone, and hopefully, if the Liberals don't win a majority, we may at least have an electoral system that better reflects the public will. But even with a new system, compromises will happen, and we will all find ourselves feeling abandoned on one issue or another.

I know I should compromise with other citizens. However, I should know my compromise to a good being, not to an evil being. Now, our political system lacks this accountability. The unaccountability of government covers and protects evil in its deep.

Edited by Exegesisme

I think Elizabeth May is by far our best party-leader and she is incredibly smart. I almost voted Green this time around when my NDP candidate was polling very strong and I thought I'd increase the Green popular vote, but I ended up voting NDP after all when Liberal support increased.

Truth is, even if I'd voted Green, I'm more ideologically in line with the NDP and I love what they stand for. Everything from social policy to economic to Clarity Act. There is not much I can think of in their platform with which I disagree.

The Greens have some policies that I think are a bit too idealist, at least for a North American audience. 20 years ago, I could have been an ardent Green supporter but I've becomes a bit jaded by humanity as the years wore on.

I love what each party brings to the table, I would hate to see them merge. I think things were best when we had Alliance, Reform, Liberals, NDP and Greens.

A little something for everyone.

Thank you for your opinion. Maybe I should create a new party to provide one more choice for Canadian people.

Yeah I prefer diversity of options as well. It represents democracy and the demos the best at least under proportional systems where one ideologically winged party doesn`t get all the vote from one wing.

There are heavy faults of proportional system too. The key fault is the very weak relation between representatives and their voters, and the accountability becomes weak too.