Trade war full blown threaten

That is great. Perhaps Bush did us a favour and gave us a wake up call with his bad attitude towards Canada. We needed to spread our trading around not just depend on one country for our economic status. Besides helping to modernize China is a better way to bring a large country up to more western standards of living and hopefully lead to a more democratic country of their own choosing. Not one forced down their throats by foreign devils. eh

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Chinese are also buying a lot of coal from us.  Some mines are increasing their work forces because of the greater demand.

Yes, very nice. If all we want to be is hewers of wood and diggers of coal. The United States buys almost half our manufactured goods - I don't mean half of manufactured goods which are exported, I mean half of the goods we manufacture in this country. China and India aren't even on the map as far as importance goes.

Well Argus; manufacturing is not a major export business in this country; Logging, mining and oil are. So, we will welcome China with open arms unless the Americans learn to obey international trade laws.

I wonder how many people that work in Car plants back east would share those same views..........

Well Argus; manufacturing is not a major export business in this country;  Logging, mining and oil are.  So, we will welcome China with open arms unless the Americans learn to obey international trade laws.

China is the biggest threat to world peace today so let's make sure we sell them all of our uranium too. That ought to piss off those disobedient Americans.

China is the biggest threat to world peace today so let's make sure we sell them all of our uranium too. That ought to piss off those disobedient Americans

Yes sure, China is a big threat ROFLMAO; Just who have they been invading and harassing.

The USA has become the greatest threat to world peace without any close rival even N Korea.

I wonder how many people that work in Car plants back east would share those same views..........

Well there is more to Canada than a few car part manufacturers. We in BC, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and the territories to name a few compose a large part of Canada and we do not make cars. Do we all hold our breath and live for the car plants in Ontario???

Well Argus; manufacturing is not a major export business in this country;  Logging, mining and oil are.  So, we will welcome China with open arms unless the Americans learn to obey international trade laws.

China is the biggest threat to world peace today so let's make sure we sell them all of our uranium too. That ought to piss off those disobedient Americans.

Bullshit.....how many countries has China invaded and occupied....one.....Tibet......and that was back in 1950. How many wars has China engaged in since then? Two, first was during Korea when threatened by that idiot numbnuts MacArthur at the Chosen Reservor and then , Vietnam in 1979, a very short lived punative war after which the Chinese withdrew.

Want to compare that to the US record during the same timeline?

Ceemus, do you consider the Chinese living in China people or not? If the Chinese regime attacks and murders millions of Chinese, should we ignore that? What in Beijing in 1989?

Now then, which government is truly more violent: the US government or the Chinese government?

I agree with you that the Chinese government is not a major threat to western civilization. But nonetheless, it has been an extremely harsh and violent regime that is slowly changing.

In the West, how should we encourage this change?

Now then, which government is truly more violent: the US government or the Chinese government?

I agree with you that the Chinese government is not a major threat to western civilization. But nonetheless, it has been an extremely harsh and violent regime that is slowly changing.

Lately, It is the American killing thousands or Iraqis and sacrificing hundreds of young Americans. What has China done recently????

Ceemus, do you consider the Chinese living in China people or not? If the Chinese regime attacks and murders millions of Chinese, should we ignore that? What in Beijing in 1989?

In the West, how should we encourage this change?

I know many people both professionally and personally from and in China.

Things there are changing, the China of 1989 is not the China of 2004 or even 1999.....and as bad as 1989 was, it was minor compared to the Moa years.

China is a nation undergoing radical and profound changes, changes in my books for the better. Whereas the US is also undergoing radical and profound changes, changes I fear for the worse.

I would say with all honestly, the US government is more violent to its not only to its own people but also to people throughout the world.

Consider if you will that within the US, the middle class is shrinking and in China it is growing.

I would say with all honestly, the US government is more violent to its not only to its own people but also to people throughout the world.
And I would say with all honesty that you don't know what you're talking about.

The US government has never adopted policies on the whim of a dictator such as the "Great Leap Forward" which lead to mass starvation of millions.

Have you any idea at all what happened in the Cultural Revolution? Such events are unimaginable (and probably impossible) in the US.

You say that China is changing. Well, that has been a frequent refrain of certain Westerners over the past century. The massacre in Tianamen Square is only 15 years old.

I agree though that, finally, the changes in China seem to be sensible ones. When China has an election similar to what we just saw in Ukraine, then I will start to believe truly though.

----

When you say that the US is violent, you don't know your history well. Which continents have known the most peace in the past few centuries? South America and North America. European history has been the bloodiest.

In the case of Europe, it's not even history. As recently as 10 years ago the Europeans were butchering themselves in Yugoslavia. Or rather, some Europeans butchered each other while other Europeans did nothing but watched.

And imagine, some people refer to "sophisticated, cosmopolitan Europe" and "overweight, ignorant America".

I'm no nationalist but I do take pride in my continent. We have achieved in North America a civilized society. We don't kill each other and we respect our differences. We take people as they are with little prejudice.

You seem to have forgotten America's past has not been all nicey nicey. In fact the Afro Americans were treated very badly and to this day still face rampant discrimination. The still execute people to this day; many found later to be innocent. Then we can go back to their dealings with their treatment of their native Indian people. Not a proud history and today not a proud future.

Lately, It is the American killing thousands or Iraqis and sacrificing hundreds of young Americans. What has China done recently????

Actually, China executes many thousands every year. No one really knows how many. You can be executed for anti-government activity, of course, or for bribery, or prostitution, or land speculation, or any number of offenses. Many tens if not hundreds of thousands of followers of various religions have been imprisoned in labour camps or executed.

China contniues to threaten to destabilize the region over Taiwan and other offshore issues. I think mostly what holds them back is the knowledge that their military equipment is distinctly inferior to that of the Americans and Japanese. Interestingly, they are doing their best to change that. Hundreds of billions are going into modernizing their armed forces.

You seem to have forgotten America's past has not been all nicey nicey. In fact the Afro Americans were treated very badly and to this day still face rampant discrimination. The still execute people to this day; many found later to be innocent. Then we can go back to their dealings with their treatment of their native Indian people. Not a proud history and today not a proud future.

As opposed to the past of whom? Russia? China? Britain? France? Spain? What other country which had world wide interests was "nicey dicey"? Which was kinder than the Americans have been towards foreigners?

Things there are changing, the China of 1989 is not the China of 2004 or even 1999.....and as bad as 1989 was, it was minor compared to the Moa years.

I read last week that a man in China who sought permission to hold a demonstration against all the expropriations of homes in his neighborhood had been convicted of anti government activity and sentenced to 4 and a half years in prison.

He hadn't actually demonstrated. He had just sought permission to do so.

We won't even go into the persecutions and executions of falun gong followers, or Christians, or Muslims, or Tibetans which are going on today. Or the thousands and thousands of executions every year, many for petty crimes.

China might not be like in Mao's days but it is still a vicious, brutal and now thoroughly corrupt dictatorship with no respect for human rights whatsoever.

Change does not come quickly without a lot of unnecessary bloodshed. It does not come from shunning and isolating a country. Change comes when we have interaction in trade, technologie and ideas.With influences from Hong Kong, these changes may become much faster in China. The USA is changing, too. And not for the best. Democratic rights are disappearing and international laws and agreements ignored. I would rather hook my star to an improving nation rather than a falling one that may drag us down too.