Why I might cast a blank ballot.

Machjo

You're right. Give up. There's really no point in getting out of bed.

There's plenty of point in getting out of bed. That point just doesn't have much to do with spoiling your ballot. Or with politics at all, when it comes to it. If your reason for getting out of bed in the morning is anything politics related, and you're not a politician yourself, you're really doing something wrong...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You and CF are missing the point. Individually, one spoiled ballot doesn't count, the same as one vote for a candidate doesn't count. Collectively, a lot of spoiled ballots will be noticed, the same as a lot of votes for a candidate will elect someone. If enough people go and spoil ballots, it will send a message. If they stay home, the message that will be sent is they don't care.

I agree. It says look, I am taking the time to vote. One of you could have had that vote but none of you deserve it.

As Gilles Duceppe once said, if my grandma had wheels, she'd be a tractor. If you can't find anyone to vote for (or at least to vote against) from the plethora of choices, you'll probably never be satisfied.

I'd vote for people like Martha Hall Findley or Malcolm Turnbull.

I'd probably vote for an economist party if they decided to run.

There are some minor parties not running in my riding that I would be willing to vote for.

But as it is, my options suck.

That's not necessarily true. It's all in the numbers. If a sufficient number of people spoil their votes (particularly if they organize and do it in a consistent fashion), someone will recognize it and do something about it.

If all the non-voters voted the same way, they would easily come in first.

That "someone" will be the people that got elected by those who didn't spoil their ballots, and since that would end up being the actual political constituency, why would the politicians who got elected by this much smaller functional electorate want to do anything about it?

If you remove yourself from the political process, that's your business, but don't pretend it's a meaningful protest.

I suspect we will see a much higher turnout this time around because #1 the polls are so close, and #2 so many Canadians want Harper gone.

I argue the opposite. E.g. If I don't really care about politics, and then you tell me the Libs and the NDP are a tossup, then I'll probably throw in the towel. That's my thinking anyways.

I suspect we will see a much higher turnout this time around because #1 the polls are so close, and #2 so many Canadians want Harper gone.

Ideologues always think that the current election is a big deal because to them it is. They can't believe so many others just don't care. I bet turnout will be similar to the last few elections (60-70%). Just as many people were shrill about hating Harper back then, too.

Ideologues always think that the current election is a big deal because to them it is. They can't believe so many others just don't care. I bet turnout will be similar to the last few elections (60-70%). Just as many people were shrill about hating Harper back then, too.

According to what I heard in an interview with Grenier earlier today, many more young people than usual are planning to vote this time around. I am glad to hear that but I would assume Harper isn't.

According to what I heard in an interview with Grenier earlier today, many more young people than usual are planning to vote this time around. I am glad to hear that but I would assume Harper isn't.

Sigh, some people just assume things. You need to do your research.

1) DUHH, young people plan to do many things, but we all know that they don't follow through.

2) Re: Research. http://www.ekospolitics.com/index.php/2015/09/conservatives-swing-into-lead/

Look at the age breakdown and party that they'll vote for. Conservatives still come out ahead for the younguns.

I argue the opposite. E.g. If I don't really care about politics, and then you tell me the Libs and the NDP are a tossup, then I'll probably throw in the towel. That's my thinking anyways.

That's possible of course, but I suspect there may be a lot of strategic voting going on this time around. If either the LPC or NDP starts to falter in the polls, their supporters will shift their vote to the other with the ABC concept in mind.

That's possible of course, but I suspect there may be a lot of strategic voting going on this time around. If either the LPC or NDP starts to falter in the polls, their supporters will shift their vote to the other with the ABC concept in mind.

Ehh, that's where I disagree. A large majority of people don't even bother to vote. The polls shifted quite a bit at T-3, T-2, T-1 days before the 2011 election. I bet you if you ask people what strategic voting is, they'd be confused.

Ehh, that's where I disagree. A large majority of people don't even bother to vote. The polls shifted quite a bit at T-3, T-2, T-1 days before the 2011 election. I bet you if you ask people what strategic voting is, they'd be confused.

Peope are less likely to vote when the polls show clearly what the outcome is likely to be. That is far from the case this time around.

Peope are less likely to vote when the polls show clearly what the outcome is likely to be. That is far from the case this time around.

Forum Research and Ekos now show what the most likely outcome will be.

Conservatives at around 35% and the NDP/Libs at around 28%. Nanos's gap isn't as big, but today's headlines have, for the most part, regarding this election, mentioned that the Conservatives are clearly ahead.

So...I'm not too convinced that I buy your argument, but it is a solid one. The polls in 2011 were showing roughly the same, although the Liberal decimation...no one was expecting that!

Sigh, some people just assume things. You need to do your research.

1) DUHH, young people plan to do many things, but we all know that they don't follow through.

2) Re: Research. http://www.ekospolitics.com/index.php/2015/09/conservatives-swing-into-lead/

Look at the age breakdown and party that they'll vote for. Conservatives still come out ahead for the younguns.

Just thought I'd throw this in there.

This is from a while back.

http://www.ekospolitics.com/index.php/2015/09/a-mid-campaign-check-up/

Look at the shift in the youngun vote! Conservatives were last (out of the big 3), now they are first! Young people understand the economy??

Or perhaps they don't want to carry the debt later? Stumps me!

Forum Research and Ekos now show what the most likely outcome will be.

Conservatives at around 35% and the NDP/Libs at around 28%. Nanos's gap isn't as big, but today's headlines have, for the most part, regarding this election, mentioned that the Conservatives are clearly ahead.

So...I'm not too convinced that I buy your argument, but it is a solid one. The polls in 2011 were showing roughly the same, although the Liberal decimation...no one was expecting that!

Latest 308 has them cpc 32.5, lpc 30.4, ndp 27.2. This could well be the start of the swing from ndp to lpc for strategic purposes.

Latest 308 has them cpc 32.5, lpc 30.4, ndp 27.2. This could well be the start of the swing from ndp to lpc for strategic purposes.

Keep in mind 308 / CBC poll tracker (at least this is how I read the data) uses cumulative data from the last little bit, as opposed to nightly tracking. I can't get a good sense of what people are voting using that data source as a result. If I want "real time" data, I have to look at the nightly polls, and not use aggregate data from the last week or whatever.

Edited by angrypenguin

Keep in mind 308 / CBC poll tracker (at least this is how I read the data) uses cumulative data from the last little bit, as opposed to nightly tracking. I can't get a good sense of what people are voting using that data source as a result. If I want "real time" data, I have to look at the nightly polls, and not use aggregate data from the last week or whatever.

It tends to sooth out fluctuations in other polls which I reckon makes it more accurate.