Are Tory MPs being muzzled?

Topaz

Yup. No point at all in a party running for election if the candidates won't speak to the people.

Ludicrous.

That's just it - they DO speak to the people - face-to-face at the door......because that's really where the votes are. Most all-candidate meetings are just a room full of partisans shouting for "their guy" and against "the other guy"......and of course, all the parties are bashing the poor government candidate. And of course, there's always the "gotchya" reporters lurking at the back. All that said, I wish it didn't have to be that way. Civility and objectivity on the part of all politics and reporting has gone in the toilet.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just it - they DO speak to the people - face-to-face at the door......because that's really where the votes are. Most all-candidate meetings are just a room full of partisans shouting for "their guy" and against "the other guy"......and of course, all the parties are bashing the poor government candidate. And of course, there's always the "gotchya" reporters lurking at the back. All that said, I wish it didn't have to be that way. Civility and objectivity on the part of all politics and reporting has gone in the toilet.

Simple, I'm shocked that you would favour the apparent Harper Conservative approach to only pursue the direct door-knocking avenue as the means to present a one-way, isolated and sanitized version to constituents! That whole all-candidates forum thing... that speaking to the media thing... that standing up and taking open questions thing, why, uhhh... those just get in the way of "one-on-one' time at the constituent's door! :lol:

Could not many of those same charges not be leveled against Mulcair too?

Perhaps but:

1. Not as much.

2. He's not running for a fourth term.

3. Two wrongs etc. etc.

Mulcair may be the least worst alternative. We certainly know what the worst is. A fourth term would be absurd for Harper given that he has never commanded a majority of the vote. In Ireland, Britain or Australia, I cannot imagine any current leader having the gall to even say he would try to do that and the Yanks don't let it happen for good reason.

Perhaps but:

1. Not as much.

2. He's not running for a fourth term.

3. Two wrongs etc. etc.

Mulcair may be the least worst alternative. We certainly know what the worst is. A fourth term would be absurd for Harper given that he has never commanded a majority of the vote. In Ireland, Britain or Australia, I cannot imagine any current leader having the gall to even say he would try to do that and the Yanks don't let it happen for good reason.

This seems an odd reason to evict Harper. Most of the election victories in the last century have failed to command a plurality of the votes.

The Ottawa press gallery reacted like a bunch of starving wolves set loose amid a herd of blind sheep. They delighted in baiting Reform MPs, in laying out verbal traps before them or posing theoretical questions, then big headlines trumped how ignorant, how racist, how bigoted the party was based on either what one MP, or an MPs staff member said or could be interpreted to have said. It was a stellar performance of a group of smug, sanctimonious, elitists who didn't want a bunch of ignorant yokels from the west anywhere near power.

Is ANYONE surprised Harper came to loathe the media and give them no cooperation in their still eager quest to find quotes and misstatements they can use to embarrass conservatives?

There you go buddy. Blame the media. It's the media's fault that the Conservative MP's have been ordered by the Democracy God to not speak to them or hold debates.

I know three of our local CPC MPs fairly well, two of them go to my church. The idea that any of them are muzzled is ludicrous. They stay on and (for the most part) go along with what the party says, for the same reason they joined the party in the fist place. They share the many of same values.

Not all the same values though. One of these MPs in particular has been a thorn in PM Harper's side bringing forward several private members bills and attending rallies for things the party does not endorse and wishes he would not do. Has Harper told him that he doesn't like it? Absolutely. But he kept doing it, and there absolutely were no consequences.

If I look at the degree of criticism of the PM from MPs of his own party, I would rank the following countries thus in descending order:

1. Australia.

2. Ireland.

3. UK.

4. Canada.

The other three are nowhere near Canada. In Oz, there's always some sort of plot afoot to unseat the boss. Both Kenny and Cameron have had to reassure their MPs they will not seek third terms.

For the true believers of Reform, Harper has indeed brought power but there must be some disappointment on govt accountability and transparency, the Senate and social issues?

There you go buddy. Blame the media. It's the media's fault that the Conservative MP's have been ordered by the Democracy God to not speak to them or hold debates.

Actually they have not been told that so you need to get your facts right. I'm working in the campaign office now and we've agreed to two debates so far, and the candidate is giving interviews.

All they've been told is to be circumspect in what they say as it can be misconstrued or blown out of proportion, can't blame the party for that.

Actually they have not been told that so you need to get your facts right. I'm working in the campaign office now and we've agreed to two debates so far, and the candidate is giving interviews.

All they've been told is to be circumspect in what they say as it can be misconstrued or blown out of proportion, can't blame the party for that.

When are these debates? Whose campaign? Any of these drones?

Even the Finance Minister seems to have an aversion to showing his face in public, let alone being available for questions about the economy... which is, you know... his portfolio...

Yes, very mysterious - even more so now that the campaign has switched from Duffy/PMO corruption. to the economy.

Maybe Tory Central won't trot him out of the closet for fear he will suggest Harper's granddaughter can pay for Conservative's latest recession.

You can blame the partisan BS that Elections Canada pulled with the "in-and-out" smear job for that. Instead of efficiently making one ad and allowing the local candidates top buy local time to run it, now the local candidate has to appear in the ad.

Edited by Charles Anthony
deleted re-copied video

When are these debates? Whose campaign? Any of these drones?

Garbage reply. I'm working in the campaign office and know for sure that we have two debates confirmed but I'm not telling you where I live. I also know that a couple of ridings out west have confirmed debates.

Garbage reply. I'm working in the campaign office and know for sure that we have two debates confirmed but I'm not telling you where I live. I also know that a couple of ridings out west have confirmed debates.

It's your choice not to share an example where a Tory candidate is going to hold a debate in order to counter the point being made.

The truth of the matter is that all around Canada, Tory MP's are declining not only to answer questions from voters and the media, but they are declining debates. It might be different in your riding, but that's the case in the rest of Canada.

Tory candidates told to avoid debates, media during campaign

With Crockatt absent, Calgary Centre hopefuls take aim at Tory government

Tory Candidates Reportedly Urged To Skip Debates, Avoid Media

From last election: All-candidate no-shows: now a very long list

Reportedly urged, this is the media again exaggerating. All they've been told is to be careful and not say something that the media could misinterpret, just putting the media on notice that they know what they are contending with. Believe it or not, your choice.

Reportedly urged, this is the media again exaggerating. All they've been told is to be careful and not say something that the media could misinterpret, just putting the media on notice that they know what they are contending with. Believe it or not, your choice.

List candidates that have attended debates. The incumbent in my riding certainly hasn't.

Edited by cybercoma

There is no exaggeration that Tory MP's all over Canada, except perhaps your riding, are not doing good old fashion debates because they've been told not to by Chairman Harper. This is a fact.

Sorry, but you don't get to call it a "smear job" when the Conservative Party of Canada plead guilty to exceeding spending limits and submitting fraudulent records. They admitted guilt. Full stop.

They were the only ones forced to admit guilt for something that wasn't illegal at the time and that had been standard practice for all parties for many years. Partisan smear job, nothing else.

They were the only ones forced to admit guilt for something that wasn't illegal at the time and that had been standard practice for all parties for many years. Partisan smear job, nothing else.

Forced? Do you plead guilty in court when you're innocent? Your guilt has to be proven. You're presumed innocent. You don't plead guilty if you're not.

Edited by cybercoma

There is no exaggeration that Tory MP's all over Canada, except perhaps your riding, are not doing good old fashion debates because they've been told not to by Chairman Harper. This is a fact.

Really, you know how many debates are being held in ALL ridings...

Forced? Do you plead guilty in court when you're innocent? Your guilt has to be proven. You're presumed innocent. You don't plead guilty if you're not.

Innocent people plead guilty all of the time when the benefits of getting the whole thing over are greater than the risks of dragging things out. Elections Canada routinely threatens extra sanctions against people if they choose to exert their constitutional rights.