The NDP 10% Offer

Shady

Is a complete insult to Canadians, and Tom Mulcair needs to be questioned as to why ripping off tax payers of 90% of the related money is acceptable to him. If he wants to be Prime Minister, he needs to put on his big boy pants and start answering questions. Not just the soft ball questions he likes to answer. It's completely unacceptable.

NDP MPs ordered to repay office spending to be denied expense claims

Expense claims from NDP MPs who have yet to repay millions in alleged improper satellite office spending will be denied by House of Commons administration, CTV News has learned.

Sources say that following a failed attempt by the party to negotiate payment, the House will begin to collect funds from NDP MPs July 1. Administrators will collect the money by refusing to cover future expense claims.

The NDPs offer -- 10 per cent of what was owed -- was too low, so it was rejected, sources say.

The House will start collecting the funds from individual MPs, who were ordered to repay a combined $2.75 million in taxpayer money following a ruling by the Board of Internal Economy.

Earlier this year, the all-party committee found that the MPs broke parliamentary rules by using public funds to pay for partisan mailings and satellite party office staffers.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/ndp-mps-ordered-to-repay-office-spending-to-be-denied-expense-claims-1.2392757

Don't you love their mafia-like offer of 10%?

Why does Mr. Mulcair feel that Canadian tax payers should pay for the parliamentary rules broken by him and his party? Why does he think that that's fair? Why does he care more about somebody else's $90,000 dollars than his party's own $2.75 million tax dollars?

The NDP said in committee that the Tories changed the rules and then the NDP were caught, and they also said now the Tories were going to changes the rules back to were when the NDP were found breaking them. I think many political games are being played here. Anyone know for sure?

So are the Tories going to pay back the millions they spent on advertising something that never came to be?? Now that is wasting our tax dollars.

If those funds were spent in accordance with the laws that are in place. Then they are not out of bounds.

I believe that the NDP were caught more on a technicality.

But so were some conservatives.

What is unfair is not holding everyone equally accountable to these technicalities.

Even if rules are changed, is not a excuse. It's more a proof of incompetence then a good excuse.

How can you be expected to run a country if you don't even have the organization for someone to read a memo and notify your elected members of a rule change that will affect them directly.

Edited by Freddy

This is pretty old news.

The NDP refused to pay, and the case is now before the courts. I haven't hear of any actual "trial"... it is probably just paper shuffling, and the judge will eventually make a decision.

I would expected the ruling will be against them, but until then, there is not much new to discuss.

This is pretty old news.

The NDP refused to pay, and the case is now before the courts. I haven't hear of any actual "trial"... it is probably just paper shuffling, and the judge will eventually make a decision.

I would expected the ruling will be against them, but until then, there is not much new to discuss.

Really? Harper is assumed to be guilty of everything at the duffy trial, while not even being on trial, but we should nonchalantly dismiss the millions the NDP have been accused of miss spending? And the almost zero coverage this issue gets is also another sign of how balanced our media is? I dont believe Harper either, but $90,000 of returned money, vs millions of unreturned money, coverage, about 98%-2%.

Really? Harper is assumed to be guilty of everything at the duffy trial, while not even being on trial, but we should nonchalantly dismiss the millions the NDP have been accused of miss spending? And the almost zero coverage this issue gets is also another sign of how balanced our media is? I dont believe Harper either, but $90,000 of returned money, vs millions of unreturned money, coverage, about 98%-2%.

Cool your jets there poochy, we can only really cover one trial at a time.

Yeah...and after that, only....7 1/2 weeks until the election. I don't know if Harper will win at this point, but that might as well be a lifetime in Canadian politics.

Of course lots of things can happen in 7 weeks, but a lot of people figured no one would be tuned into this trial, it being summer and all, but that turns out not to be true. A lot of people are following, and I assume they will continue through next week. A lot of soft and swing voters may be affected.

Of course lots of things can happen in 7 weeks, but a lot of people figured no one would be tuned into this trial, it being summer and all, but that turns out not to be true.

I haven't seen any evidence that anyone has been paying attention. They've been watching the news though, and the breathless news stories about the trial.

I haven't seen any evidence that anyone has been paying attention. They've been watching the news though, and the breathless news stories about the trial.

Was that not a bit of a contradiction? In any case of those that are watching, the results aren't good for Harper.

The numbers are not positive for Stephen Harper: 15 per cent think he acted properly according to Abacus Data, and just 20 per cent believe Harper's version of events according to Angus Reid. In that poll, 56 per cent said the trial had worsened their opinion of the Conservative leader.

Was that not a bit of a contradiction?

The media has been watching, and reporting every event and non event alike...every day. They've been asking the prime minister questions about this, to the exclusion of everything else...every day.

In any case of those that are watching, the results aren't good for Harper.

Nor would I expect them to be, as he's obviously lying. Too bad too, because it's not even important.

for what any single poll is worth... from today's released Forum Poll, 68% of those polled indicated they were following the Duffy Trial (through the media). However, more pointedly:

Two thirds say PM knew about cheque

In a random sampling of public opinion taken by the Forum Pollâ„¢ among 1473 Canadian voters, among the two thirds who are following the Senator Mike Duffy trial in the media (68%), two thirds insist Prime Minister Harper knew about the personal cheque for $90,000 paid by former Chief of Staff Nigel Wright to Senator Mike Duffy to cover his improperly incurred expenses (68%).

More than one half of all voters (not just those following the trial) think the Prime Minister is not telling the truth about his role in the affair (56%)

no worries - you can be all pissy and ignore the salient point of the post/poll that speaks to the significant percentage that believes Harper is lying.

I've already said Harper is lying more than once in the last few minutes. I'm not sure what you think you're onto with that.