More vote-buying

You do know that tax breaks theoretically come out of everyone's taxes?

I am a home owner, I don't agree with this.

Tax breaks are a form of welfare.

With this plan i put in granite counter tops, i get a tax break. I sit and twiddle my thumbs i dont get a break at tax time. Where does everyone else come in?

Welfare? So people shouldnt be able to keep the money that they earn?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about it like this blueblood we all pay taxes into a great big pot.
Then when the government decides they are going to provide tax credit, they want you to either have children or have home renovations. When these two things occur they decide to take money out of that great big pot and give it to you. Essentially that is welfare.

No one should receive tax breaks.

I doubt it extends into this month. July may be a negative month (not sure), but August almost certainly won't.

Thats why the number crunchers have to haul ass in the fall. The reports for q2 will be out soon and they wont have q3 done in time for the 19th. If the exonomy is in tech recession the ndp will gain a lot if points heading into sept/oct.

My bet is harper is waiting for q3 results to be positive and that will be the election. He will get to say that staying the course worked when global circumstances put us in tech recession. Its a big gamble

With this plan i put in granite counter tops, i get a tax break. I sit and twiddle my thumbs i dont get a break at tax time. Where does everyone else come in?

So you put in granite counter tops. The tax payers pay for it. And that money doesn't go back into government spending. Just into your nice shiny counter top. Enjoy it, but please don't complain about a government program not ever having enough funding.

Edited by PrimeNumber

Think about it like this blueblood we all pay taxes into a great big pot.

Then when the government decides they are going to provide tax credit, they want you to either have children or have home renovations. When these two things occur they decide to take money out of that great big pot and give it to you. Essentially that is welfare.

No one should receive tax breaks.

Except no money is going out of the pot. Less is going in.

So you put in granite counter tops. The tax payers pay for it. And that money doesn't go back into government spending. Just into your nice shiny counter top. Enjoy it, but please don't complain about a government program not ever having enough funding.

Less government programs are a good thing. Starve the beast!!

Except no money is going out of the pot. Less is going in.

Exactly, by George you've got it!

Less money for government spending. But a portion of the tax payers still receive nothing.

Please enjoy your counter top but every time you look at it, remember that you're now a hypocrite if you complain about government spending being to low. Because you and everyone like you wanted a new granite counter top.

Exactly, by George you've got it!

Less money for government spending. But a portion of the tax payers still receive nothing.

Please enjoy your counter top but every time you look at it, remember that you're now a hypocrite if you complain about government spending being to low. Because you and everyone like you wanted a new granite counter top.

First of all im not buying a granite countertop because its a waste of money tax break or not. The countertop i have is good enough and would rather spend the money on an ATV. I was statinf a hypothetical.

Like i said government spending can always be lower. And the tax relief to homeowners will be offset by the income tax generated by activity, sales taxes for supplies, etc.

Nothing wrong with people getting to keep more of what they earn. They arent putting it under their mattrass

Remember that when you want to pull old age security or are on your death bed receiving free healthcare.

This is why we save our money. Keep playing that fiddle!! Taxes still get paid, just not at the sky high rates you want them. A lot of canadians dont believe in punishing success like you do.

This is why we save our money. Keep playing that fiddle!! Taxes still get paid, just not at the sky high rates you want them. A lot of canadians dont believe in punishing success like you do.

A lot of Canadians believe in using the success of our countrymen to help fund this countries infrastructure. If you don't like it you're welcome to stop using the services it provides at any time.

Let's just keep feeding that housing bubble in the meantime though...

Edited by PrimeNumber

A lot of Canadians believe in using the success of our countrymen to help fund this countries infrastructure. If you don't like it you're welcome to stop using the services it provides at any time.

Let's just keep feeding that housing bubble in the meantime though...

And a lot of canadians think everyone should be footing the bill for said services not just rich people. Fortunately a lot of canadians see the forest for the trees and realize that keeping taxes low helps encourage an environment that benefits everyone. Its why since the late 80s federal government has been cutting taxes in general and cutting spending.

Your welcome for the services!!

The same thing that every other forecast sees - a strengthening US economy resulting in service sector and export gains in non commodity areas.

"Every other forecaster" now there's an Argus type assumption. I can understand being hopeful of course, but I don't see a lot of confidence out there. It looks as though at least the next 2 budgets will be deficits. Oil prices aren't going anywhere soon and manufacturing is also down. Perhaps we will get a bit of a boost from US tourists since our dollar is so cheap these days.

And a lot of canadians think everyone should be footing the bill for said services not just rich people. Fortunately a lot of canadians see the forest for the trees and realize that keeping taxes low helps encourage an environment that benefits everyone. Its why since the late 80s federal government has been cutting taxes in general and cutting spending.

Your welcome for the services!!

You seem to assume that I don't pay as much if not more taxes than you do, nor have any success. I assure you I have more success than I can possibly wished to have had at this time in my life.

I assure you I pay a very large percentage of my wages in taxes and I assure you I think this is a good thing. I'm no worse off because of it. I have everything I need and then some. Some people feel like they need more things in life to show off to their other successful friends that need lots of things to prove the same. These people prove that it doesn't take intelligence to be successful.

I pay my share for the services this country offers it's citizens and I'm proud of that fact.

So no sir, you are welcome for the services. And you're welcome to stop using them at anytime.

Edited by PrimeNumber

By giving you a tax break for a particular activity, the government is reducing its overall revenue. You only benefit (by paying less taxes) if you partake in the specified activity. If you do not, you do not benefit.

The government could instead reduce its revenue by the same amount by proportionately lowering all taxes. In so doing, the benefit would be spread to everyone, not only to homeowners.

By providing targeted tax credits, the government distorts the economy and uses government power to favor some industries, disfavor others, and incidentally to inflate one of the world's most absurd housing bubbles which will some day burst resulting in more economic damage.

Anyone who thinks of themselves as favoring small government should be against all targeted tax breaks as they are a form of government control of the economy, and should instead call for general tax cuts.

By giving you a tax break for a particular activity, the government is reducing its overall revenue. You only benefit (by paying less taxes) if you partake in the specified activity. If you do not, you do not benefit.

The government could instead reduce its revenue by the same amount by proportionately lowering all taxes. In so doing, the benefit would be spread to everyone, not only to homeowners.

By providing targeted tax credits, the government distorts the economy and uses government power to favor some industries, disfavor others, and incidentally to inflate one of the world's most absurd housing bubbles which will some day burst resulting in more economic damage.

Anyone who thinks of themselves as favoring small government should be against all targeted tax breaks as they are a form of government control of the economy, and should instead call for general tax cuts.

Well i prefer a flat tax, but fat chance of that happening. Given the budget situation, ill take any kind of tax relief i can get.

But that would be going against their dear leaders monthly scripted email reminder.

"Don't forget supporters Tax breaks are good because Stephen says so, remember this when you're at the polls!"

Well i prefer a flat tax, but fat chance of that happening. Given the budget situation, ill take any kind of tax relief i can get.

Yes but by supporting yet another ad-hoc tax credit, you are lending your support to a tax code that gets ever more complex and byzantine as government after government seek to win votes. The costs of administering the system and the leeches that subsist off of it (tax accountants, tax laywers, the whole taxation bureaucracy, etc) grow ever larger the longer the ledger of all these credits gets. Any self-respecting conservative shouldn't sell out on their principles for a few bucks if a given tax credit might benefit them, and should instead insist on simplifying and streamlining the tax system.

Yes but by supporting yet another ad-hoc tax credit, you are lending your support to a tax code that gets ever more complex and byzantine as government after government seek to win votes. The costs of administering the system and the leeches that subsist off of it (tax accountants, tax laywers, the whole taxation bureaucracy, etc) grow ever larger the longer the ledger of all these credits gets. Any self-respecting conservative shouldn't sell out on their principles for a few bucks if a given tax credit might benefit them, and should instead insist on simplifying and streamlining the tax system.

Its the leaser of two evils. I can choose the party that lessens my tax if i decide to swap out the toilets or the party that plans to raise corporate taxes which makes doing business for me more expensive.

Good luck trying to streamline the tax system. Id love a nice low flat tax that everyone pays with no deductions. But that isnt "fair". And our accountant friends will lose quite a few customers.

Its the leaser of two evils. I can choose the party that lessens my tax if i decide to swap out the toilets or the party that plans to raise corporate taxes which makes doing business for me more expensive.

Well, I'm not proposing that you vote for the NDP, just that you don't support the party line and instead contact your MP and tell them that instead of more bullsh*t tax credits you'd prefer a simpler, leaner, and less expensive tax system.

Well, I'm not proposing that you vote for the NDP, just that you don't support the party line and instead contact your MP and tell them that instead of more bullsh*t tax credits you'd prefer a simpler, leaner, and less expensive tax system.

I also support my boy/girl getting in, and if part of the pathway to power is a bauble like that, then thats the cost of doing business.

Ugh

Non homeowners are not paying anything. Its a tax break to the homeowners who pay a lot of taxes. Dont worry your taxes arent going up

That's some sound Conservative fiscal reasoning right there. We're running deficits. Better cut revenues some more. Don't worry, we're not going to raise taxes either. Pay no attention to the program cuts we're not mentioning.

"Every other forecaster" now there's an Argus type assumption. I can understand being hopeful of course, but I don't see a lot of confidence out there. It looks as though at least the next 2 budgets will be deficits. Oil prices aren't going anywhere soon and manufacturing is also down. Perhaps we will get a bit of a boost from US tourists since our dollar is so cheap these days.

No one is projecting a deficit next year - except you.