Liberals on the Attack - Against Mulcair!

Ya think so? I'll bet you there are tons of folks just waiting for Aug. 11 to hear what Wright has to say on the stand under oath. And of course the grand finale will be when Duffy himself steps up there.

Unless you weigh 4000 pounds, I doubt there will be "tons of folks" - outside of the usual conspiracy partisans.

The Libs ain't done yet, and I suspect they never will be. This ain't the USofA and a two party system will never catch on. Canada has an entirely different history. There are many many thousands of people who switched votes between libs and conservative and vice versa. They haven't and are not going away. The libs may be down now but they are far far from out. Just like the cons after Mulroney. Doomed, everyone said, irrelevant everyone said.

Necessity is the Mother of Invention. If the Conservatives are granted another majority - it will be because the NDP is viewed as a risky venture, too far to the left. Faced with that reality, they will continue to move to the center. After all, Mulcair was originally a Liberal in Quebec and arguably flirted with "becoming" a Conservative. In short - he's a politician with a Centrist bent, albeit leaning to the Left. A disheartening third-place finish for the Liberals will continue to sew turmoil in the Party and lead to a leadership vote where anything can happen - and Trudeau may never be ready to lead. We may very well be witnessing the beginning of the road travelled by the Reform/PC/Alliance merger......because if Conservative majorities are in the forseeable future - the Mother of Invention will be upon both parties.

Meanwhile, they'll be fighting each other - and by the time the debates arrive, they will look like Monty Python's Holy Grail "Knight on the Bridge" - after having his leg and arm hacked off, courageously saying "It's just a flesh wound".

Here's the first salvo from the Liberals:

Justin Trudeau says NDP must explain why it disagrees with Supreme Court on Quebec

The NDP needs to better explain why it thinks Quebec should have an easier path to independence than the one outlined by the Supreme Court, says Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau.

Trudeau called out the NDP during a stop to a Montreal-area space centre on Tuesday, one day after a Leger poll indicated his party was in fourth place in Quebec with the NDP significantly ahead in first.

Link: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justin-trudeau-says-ndp-must-explain-why-it-disagrees-with-supreme-court-on-quebec-1.3162107

After all, Mulcair was originally a Liberal in Quebec and arguably flirted with "becoming" a Conservative.

considering a consultant's job to the Environment Ministry is not, arguably or otherwise, flirting with "becoming" a Conservative! That talking point has no legs. :lol:

Meanwhile, they'll be fighting each other - and by the time the debates arrive, they will look like Monty Python's Holy Grail "Knight on the Bridge" - after having his leg and arm hacked off, courageously saying "It's just a flesh wound".

word on the street is that it's a facade to reinforce a coalition wasn't being entertained pre-election! :D

Edited by waldo

considering a consultant's job to the Environment Ministry is not, arguably or otherwise, flirting with "becoming" a Conservative! That talking point has no legs. :lol:

It's not a talking point. It's about Mulcair being more of a Centrist than NDP's ideology has allowed him to be - so far.....or do you have a different reading on the man?

It's not a talking point. It's about Mulcair being more of a Centrist than NDP's ideology has allowed him to be - so far.....or do you have a different reading on the man?

you made a reference to Mulcair and the Quebec Liberals... without a provincial NDP in Quebec, did you expect him to become a Quebec Conservative? :lol: And yes, it is a talking point. Notwithstanding your reply doesn't even address my quote of your "talking point" about Mulcair "almost becoming a Harper Conservative"!

Actually, there wasn't a provincial Conservative party in Quebec either during the time when Mulcair was involved in QC provincial politics. The major parties are the separatist PQ and the federalist Liberals. But, yes, I agree with you on the main points here, waldo. I haven't seen much evidence that Mulcair is more of a centrist than Layton. After all, he could have joined the LPC instead of the NDP if he had wanted.

you made a reference to Mulcair and the Quebec Liberals... without a provincial NDP in Quebec, did you expect him to become a Quebec Conservative? :lol: And yes, it is a talking point. Notwithstanding your reply doesn't even address my quote of your "talking point" about Mulcair "almost becoming a Harper Conservative"!

Why must you always have that angry, arrogant tone in your posts - demanding that people respond to your diversions? Again Mr. Bluster, my point was that Mulcair would appear to be more of a centrist than his party portrays. If you don't agree, just say so.

One goal both, the Liberals and NDP have is to get rid of the Tories and so in my view, I think they should attack the Tories and NOT each other and let the voters decide which party between the two they want.

That would necessitate cooperating. If they were capable of that, a much simpler and far cheaper (vs advertising) way to meet that goal would be to simply divide up the ridings and not compete with each other anywhere.

Here's some good attack fuel for the Tories.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/07/23/ndp-open-to-forming-government-with-liberals-to-topple-tories.html

SMITHERS, B.C.—The New Democrats will look to form a coalition government with the federal Liberals if it means ousting Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s Conservatives from power, says a prominent NDP MP.

Skeena-Bulkley Valley MP Nathan Cullen said that while winning a majority in this fall’s federal election is still his party’s goal, ultimately the number-one priority is toppling the Tories.

“The Liberal voters that I know are as fed up with Stephen Harper as anybody,” said Cullen in an interview on Wednesday.

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau has previously rejected the idea of an NDP-Liberal coalition, though earlier this year he said he might be more open to the possibility if Tom Mulcair were not at the party’s helm.

Trudeau could not be reached for comment on Wednesday.

The last time the idea of a coalition government was seriously floated was seven years ago, when the NDP, Liberals and Bloc Quebecois came together to force the government out of office.

Their efforts were thwarted when the Governor General, at the prime minister’s request, prorogued Parliament, effectively putting it on pause until the new year, by which time there had been a change in Liberal leadership.

Blue Liberals know if they do finish 3rd again and the CPC don't get a majority there'll be an NDP PM.

I doubt we will see any coalitions happening, especially with Mulcair riding so high in the polls. As well, there are some strong policy differences between the NDP and LPC. Without one, the very best Harper could hope for is being asked to form a government with the slimmest of minorities. At least with the threat of a non confidence vote always looming, they would have to behave themselves as to writing so much bad legislation and ramming it through, only to have the SC either have to fix it or throw it out. If the polls continue their current trend though, they can't even hope for that.