The CBC - always fair and balanced

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's far from an information peice.

It is under a heading "Analysis" which implies to me something more opinionated and less factual than a news wire or news story.

As a tax accountant I'm not surprised by the sloppiness with this.

Few people realize that unless you are getting the CTB ( which is clawed back based on family income) and/or claiming one of those silly "fitness/artist" tax credits there is no reason to include all your children on your tax return for any married couple - to claim the family tax split amount (single parents who make too much for CTB would also need only include one child for the dependant tax credit).

The funny thing is is that the Harper governments have tinkered with all types of boutique tax credits and transfer payments when all they had to do was fund the existing CTB system.

But not enough votes that way I guess so now we have a sloppy broken system where a minister runs around trying to look like a hero when the govnernment caused this mess in the first place.

Certainly newsworthy but too complicated for an average joe to comprehend so the story won't do any damage.

Having trouble with that link......

Probably because it's a mobile link. I don't have my computer to find the proper one. Basically it's an attempt to slam the government over the increase to the UCCB and the problems surrounding it. It's an opinion piece in the middle of actual news stories.

It is clearly marked "Analysis" right before the headline.

Although I would love to see CBC come to an end this is a very poor example for that case.

If anything it counters it on the basis of you either don't know what the "Analysis" part means or, worse, you are being condescending and think that people are too stupid to know what it means.

Yeah, they have 'Analysis' pieces just about every day. They are always opinion pieces, which are not presented as anything else. This is an example of one that came from an arguably more conservative perspective: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/mansplaining-the-return-of-political-correctness-1.2999060

If the issue is that an opinion piece shouldn't be given front-page prominence on a news website, I tend to agree. However, I don't see that as a very strong reason to scrap the Ceeb altogether.

Edited: run-on sentence

Edited by Evening Star

Can't be giving money back to families. That money is for Public Sector Unions and the CBC so they can produce programming no one watches.

no one watches? No one? Clearly you have no problem with your favoured party attempting to buy votes! There was a lot of whining early on the thread... yet even after being asked to speak to what was wrong in the article, the OP writer still hasn't managed to elaborate.

no one watches? No one? Clearly you have no problem with your favoured party attempting to buy votes! There was a lot of whining early on the thread... yet even after being asked to speak to what was wrong in the article, the OP writer still hasn't managed to elaborate.

You didn't ask me.

I actually find one of the commentators on CBC, Rex Murphy, rather reasonable.

I guess Canada won a Gold Medal in Baseball against the USA last night. Couldn't be found on TV.

Chuck Thompson (Head of Public Affairs - CBC Services): "We don’t determine which sports we carry, those decisions sit with TO2015 and baseball is not one of the sports being provided to us"........ of course, TO2015... the games organizer.

the CBC awaits the retraction of your "damning criticism" of the point you put forward.

Chuck Thompson (Head of Public Affairs - CBC Services): "We don’t determine which sports we carry, those decisions sit with TO2015 and baseball is not one of the sports being provided to us"........ of course, TO2015... the games organizer.

the CBC awaits the retraction of your "damning criticism" of the point you put forward.

You're right the Pan Am organizers deserve way more of my scorn. See my status update where they tell people from El Salvador that it's hot out.

No need to elaborate - because it seems like you've never read it - and if you did, you'd recognize the drippy, critical sarcasm throughout the article. The author clearly is none too bright. After questioning the 200,000 figure repeatedly, the article says this:

Before the changes, 1.6 million families were receiving monthly payments. Now, four million families with children under 18 are eligible.

Most of them — some 3.8 million — are already signed up, because they applied for either the UCCB or the Canada Child Tax Benefit in the past. (It's the same form.)

Duh! There's the 200,000 that are missing. And hey - are the Conservatives pandering to families - or were families already drawn to the Conservatives in the last election because of their family-friendly policies? Chicken or the egg.