Eateries in Chinese town hold dog meat festival amid outcry

Shady

So, apparently this is something still pretty common in China.

BEIJING (AP) — Restaurateurs in a southern Chinese town held an annual dog meat festival Monday despite international criticism of the event as cruel and unhygienic.

The Yulin government distanced itself from the festival and announced new restrictions, but eateries reached by telephone reported brisk business during the event ostensibly held to mark the summer solstice.

Restaurant owners say eating dog meat is traditional during the summer, while animal rights activists say the festival has no cultural value and was merely invented to drum up business.

As many as 10,000 dogs, many of them stolen pets, are slaughtered for the festival held deep inside the largely rural and poor Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region.

802721838416-China_Eating_Dog_20150622.j

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20150622/as--china-eating_dog-289f8060ed.html

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read a different link from the BBC about this.

My wife is from Guangxi province and this is where I go every time I'm in China( Nanning capital city)

My wife has a small dog that her parents still take care of. His name is Thunder.

Overall, Chinese among other Asians eat less meat!

And my wife is against eating dog and cat meat.

I personally see no difference in eating a horse, pig, goat, cat, rabbit or a dog! But I would not eat dog/cat/goat. I can see it only if under some bizarre extreme circumstance.

So tell me Shady among others, how is this different then a rib fest.?

WWWTT

which restaurant serves dog meat in Canada? Do they have commercials? Newspaper coupons giving discounts on combos?

Maybe they do.

Dog meat legal, health inspector says

It isn't illegal to sell and eat the meat of dogs and other canines, as long as it's been inspected, an Alberta health inspector says.

On Monday, the skinned and gutted carcasses of four canines were found in the freezer of the Panda Garden restaurant.

While it raised some eyebrows, the Capital Health Authority's Nelson Fok said it's legal.

"To be available to serve in a restaurant and for the public, the meat has to be inspected," Fok said. "That would mean involving Alberta Agriculture or the federal inspectors to be at the site where the animal will be killed and gutted and making sure the animal does not have any disease that can be passed on to humans," he said.

It's legal to eat dog meat in Canada, which trumps your standard.

Yep. Completely true!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/dog-meat-legal-health-inspector-says-1.408407

I have heard of horse meat as well. But the customer has to know what it is they are eating.

As a side note, I have heard that professional football (soccer) players eat horse meat in Europe apparently because of a higher protein level or something like that.

WWWTT

sorry for reposting the same link, you beat me by 2 minutes LOL!

Edited by WWWTT

For some it's morally reprehensible to eat dogs.

For some it's morally reprehensible to eat cows.

In Canada Id say that no one eats dogs. Never seen it offered in any restaurants or any butchers here in Canada. If you can prove that ppl in Canada do in fact eat dogs then I'll listen. Where do they eat sthem? Which restaurants serve dog? Where are the slaughterhouses for dogs? Where are the farms for raising dogs?

In Canada Id say that no one eats dogs. Never seen it offered in any restaurants or any butchers here in Canada. If you can prove that ppl in Canada do in fact eat dogs then I'll listen. Where do they eat sthem? Which restaurants serve dog? Where are the slaughterhouses for dogs? Where are the farms for raising dogs?

I never said it's common to eat dogs in Canada. I just said that it's done and it's not illegal. Check the links by HJ and WWWTT.

When I had lunch at the Little Hanoi restaurant in Hanoi last year there were puppies in a box at our feet.

Dog was on the menu but I just couldn't bring myself to try it even though I'm no fan of dogs.

Don't like the torture that goes along with these types of events but admit I'm being hypocritical because I love veal, foie gras, etc etc.

Still not as bad as shark fin soup which takes a particularly cruel, mean, nasty, superstitious temperament to swallow.

Don't like the torture that goes along with these types of events but admit I'm being hypocritical because I love veal, foie gras, etc etc.

Good on you for acknowledging the double-standard. The outrage is ethnocentric and, well, a bit racist when you take the blinders off.

When I had lunch at the Little Hanoi restaurant in Hanoi last year there were puppies in a box at our feet.

Dog was on the menu but I just couldn't bring myself to try it even though I'm no fan of dogs.

Still not as bad as shark fin soup which takes a particularly cruel, mean, nasty, superstitious temperament to swallow.

Good on you for acknowledging the double-standard. The outrage is ethnocentric and, well, a bit racist when you take the blinders off.

I believe that cats and dogs are not very popular here in the west (or anywhere else for that matter) is because of the fact that they are meat eaters themselves.

Typically, a more efficient animal to produce and harvest for food would be a larger herbivore.

If those do not like the fact that many/most/if not all animals suffer to provide food for us then in my opinion there's only one thing that can be really done to ensure you do not help the practice. DON"T EAT MEAT!

I myself have effectively reduced the amount of read meat I consume! But it's not my place to dictate to others how they decide to intake their sustenance.

WWWTT

I believe that cats and dogs are not very popular here in the west (or anywhere else for that matter) is because of the fact that they are meat eaters themselves.

Typically, a more efficient animal to produce and harvest for food would be a larger herbivore.

If those do not like the fact that many/most/if not all animals suffer to provide food for us then in my opinion there's only one thing that can be really done to ensure you do not help the practice. DON"T EAT MEAT!

I myself have effectively reduced the amount of read meat I consume! But it's not my place to dictate to others how they decide to intake their sustenance.

WWWTT

We regulate cannibalism. I'm sure some would like to practice it yet we say that you cannot eat this type of meat due to moral issues. So why can't we make it law that one is not allowed to eat dogs and cats?

Pigs are very clean and affectionate, more intelligent than dogs or cats or horses, have long term memory and are traumatized like humans

when separated from their offspring.

The point is this, culture dictates what animals we eat and therefore treat with devalued expectations.

We take any animal we eat and become densensitivized to its feelings of pain and we deliberately distance ourselves from

the killing process unless we are hunters who eat what we kill.

Those who eat what they kill with that more direct attention ironically usually have more respect for what they kill

than we city folk who get our mass slaughtered flesh in neat cellophane packs or junk food.

I will only speak for myself. I a just as barbaric for eating pig or cattle or chicken or lab or veal as others are when they eat rabbit, dog, cat, horse.

We are all eat eating barbarians in one sense.

I think what upsets people is the condition of dogs and cats they see in China. Well they should go to a slaughterhourse or a lab in Canada to see how we treat animals as badly.

Just the way we smuggle exotic birds into this country to sell them is something. I have rescued 3 dogs and two cats over the years. People in this country torture and abuse animals daily.

I will only say this-I judge myself-and I eat meat so I am part of a system that has its problems as well.

As I get older the blood is harder to wash out so I eat less and less meat. Its a choice everyone will make at an individual level as to what they eat and support.

I am an animal lover but for example I don't judge people in Newfoundland whose living depended on seal hunting. Its bull for me to do that when I eat meat. I hate animal cruelty.I just hope we are humane with the death process.

Well here we go, the tired old racist BS. So tell me how it is racist to object to the deliberate prolonged torture of a living creature. Either you think torturing creatures is just hunky dory, or, you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Here, I'll give you an example I saw and you can explain to me how despising the people who did it is racist. Two guys, a dog in a cage. The two guys had a home made spear type of thing with a blade and a live electrical wire attached to the blade. They repeatedly stab the dog in the cage, administering a shock to the animal each time. They don't stab it in a way that will kill it, just enough to slowly over prolonged time kill it. The dog is in maximum agony and terror. This is good though as according to their beliefs this improves the meat. Eventually the animal is bleeding from numerous stab wounds as well as its mouth and anus. The creature is in deep shock and attempts to drink its own blood in an attempt to find some relief. At this point I couldn't watch any more. It was pretty much the most sickening and disgusting thing I've ever seen. All I can hope is that this poor animal died soon after, as soon as possible.

Or how about you tell me I'm racist because the dog meat trader who bought a stolen dog then proceeded to chain it to a post while he cut each of its limbs off while it was still alive in order to prove how fresh the meat was disgusts me.

Or maybe you can explain my racism when I see them take a living dog by its forelegs and dunk it in a big pot of boiling water. As the dog screams in agony and tries to claw its way out they laugh and use a stick to push it back in.

These are just a few of many many examples. It's just racism though, right? Here's a news flash for you. I don't give a rats ass who does this shit. I don't care what race or color they are. I find any one who would do such a thing to be a subhuman piece of garbage.

Now lets employ some relevantivism, you like that so we'll use it. Here we go. You'll say "but we kill and eat animals, so it's all the same". Wrong again. We don't try our very best to torture these animals. We don't get inventive finding ways to prolong their terror and agony. I suppose you don't see any difference though do you?

In short, with your stupid racism remark and your relevantivism you have just destroyed any credibility you could have had. This tells me you really don't know what you're talking about, or you really are cool with torturing and inflicting agony on these poor creatures..

The issue as Angus states is in fact what standards any of us subscribe to when we kill animals we eat. Period.

Playing the race card to avoid discussing that issue is pointless.

However with due respect to BC Chick there are some of us who think we are superior to Chinese because of how they treat their animals they eat but we should take a closer look at what we eat here in Canada as well to understand how we kill t he animals we eat. Slaughterhouses are not places of love and moral superiority is the point she was making. Kind of hard to point your finger at another when it drips blood.

One more point. All of those saying we do the same thing should inform the authorities of these slaughter houses they've seen where the animals are deliberately tortured and terrorised. That way we can shut them down ASAP, which we will do when this information comes to light. So come on, step up, report these places.