I don't know what I'm more happy about, 4 more years of Bush or watching the vitriolic Bush haters wallowing in their own bitter, irrational hatred. What I would give to be in the same room as Michael Moore or at the CBC to hear their crying tantrums. Now we just need to endure the whining excuses of why Kerry lost. Who will be the next Catherine Harris? Maybe they'll blame the Ohio ballots, maybe voter cheating, perhaps Fox News.

But really it just comes down to this. The left needs to realize that bigotry goes both ways. You can't spew hatred against values, like religion, that the majority of people believe. With the overwhelming control of the senate and the house, it's time the dems realize that they've lost touch with Americans. I'm just glad Canadians have no say in it.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But really it just comes down to this. The left needs to realize that bigotry goes both ways. You can't spew hatred against values, like religion, that the majority of people believe. With the overwhelming control of the senate and the house, it's time the dems realize that they've lost touch with Americans.

The Dems have lost touch with Americans and themselves. I do not think they have a sense of who they are and what they represent. I found a lot of similarities between Kerry and Bush (because Kerry is an opportunist). I think that both sides have to create a coalition of sorts. Bush did this effectively (as did Clinton) and Kerry was just not able to.

I am not sure who ran the GOP campaign, but Bush should give them a big raise because the strategy was effective with a prez that most people agree is not very articulate.

The rural/urban split is interesting.

Kerry lost because Bush, though a demonstratable failure with no clear policies or direction, used the politics of fear to project the image of a strong leader, proving once again that a lie, repeated often enough, becomes true.

It's a sad day for America and the world. The America of four years from now will be far worse off; a deeply divided pariah-state. How many more of her sons will die in foreign sands? How many more will go hungry, lose jobs and livliehoods? How many more will sicken and die in the wealthiest country on earth?How much more poison will be poured into the land, air and water?

Hatred of Bush is far from irrational. It is a hatred of greed, war, bigotry, corruption, waste, ignorance, and fear.

I was kind of hoping for a Kerry win, but I don't think it would have been a cure-all. I don't think the Bush win is a disaster, either.

Watching Michael Moore try to spin this will be tremendously amusing. With Bush winning the popular vote and having comfortable margins of victory in Ohio and Florida, Moore will have to come up with some truly wacky theories when he's making Fahrenheit 912. Should be hilarious. :)

-kimmy

By the way, I think Kerry's decision to not drag America through weeks of recounts and court proceedings over the provisional ballots is quite noble, and spares all of us a lot of uncertainty and instability.

-kimmy

I am glad kerry conceded the election, I was up untill 1 am last night, and I still didn't, officially, know the winner when I went to bed, and it was sounding like I wouldn't know the winner when I got up. I think maybe one of Kerry's problems was his plan, I recall one debate he used the word 73 times(MSN-buzzwords). The American population knew what the plan was supposed to deal with and they knew that kerry had a plan. But other then that he was very vague on what his plan was. It is alot like being blind and having a wall in front of you, you know something is there, but your not exactly sure what it is. That would be especially hard for kerry considering he was getting the disgruntled vote from the prople who didn't trust George Bush, but if he has trouble fully conveying key campaign points the trust may not be there for him either. However maybe kerry did and I didn't see it, but then if I missed it maybe other Americans missed it as well.

Stamps and his family would like to take this opportunity to congratulate President Bush on his victory... I think this was a victory for substance over insincerity and emptiness, if you are just telling people what you think they want to hear there comes a point in time when most people detect that hollowness.... I just wish we as Canadians were as astute as our American brothers and sisters....

Now we just need to endure the whining excuses of why Kerry lost.
I was listening to a French radio phone-in and everyone was saying that American voters are badly informed.
I was kind of hoping for a Kerry win, but I don't think it would have been a cure-all. I don't think the Bush win is a disaster, either.
I expected a Kerry win but I'm mildly happy that Bush was re-elected. In fact though, I agree with Kimmy that it's not the end of the world.
By the way, I think Kerry's decision to not drag America through weeks of recounts and court proceedings over the provisional ballots is quite noble, and spares all of us a lot of uncertainty and instability.
The margin in Ohio (140,000) is just too big. In 2000, the margin in Florida was much smaller (25,000).

Hi-larious. Bush used the same tactics as the Liberals here: demonizing his opponent and playing the fear card, yet this earns him praise from Canadian conservatives.
Rather, I think Kinsella is right. Going negative works better than going positive.

Or to be more precise, the candidate should go positive and the campaign should go negative.

The Liberals got a freebie in English Canada in June.

It is better to stand for something and lose then to not stand for anything at all. Clinton stood for a public health care system. He was unable to implement it, but at least he had a different vision for the US. The Democrats got what they deserved. Bush will be able to complete his agenda and the Republicans will have to defend this agenda next time round.

I  expected a Kerry win but I'm mildly happy that Bush was re-elected. In fact though, I agree with Kimmy that it's not the end of the world.

On the bright side, we in Canada can expect to see a "brain gain" as intelligent Americans come north and leave the States to the Bible-thumpers.

See this is the thing. The left is blinded by their own intolerance and hatred towards morals and religous beliefs that the majority of Americans value. I'm glad the American people finally said no to hollywood and the rest of the vitriolic libs. If only Canadians were not so brainwashed.

Dear Imissreagan,

Speaking of irrational hatred, it is pretty clear that Mr Bush won the election by making 51% of Americans feel safer from the threat of nuclear attack from Iraq. There was no threat from Iraq, and America is not safer, but some THINK they are, so it's all good.

Dear kimmy,

I agree that Mr. Kerry's concession will be good for America, rather than a lot of uncertainty. I wonder what he got out of the deal. 'Doing the right thing' ain't worth 'piss in a pot' in the US.

My predictions for Bush's new term... war with Iran, and with it, institution of the draft, late 2005. War with North Korea in 2007. The US has already shown that they haven't the 'cobblers' for a real fight (and they never have), so they won't defend Taiwan if China invades.

Thelonious, as Bush has said on many occasions, America didn't start this war. It was those idiots who flew the planes into the buildings that started it.

IMV, Bush is far more pragmatic than ideological.

I think this election is more significant for the Dems. In the US Congess, they are now in the position of the Tories in Canada. The perpetually losing party on the wrong side of too many issues or perceived somehow as being inept.

See this is the thing. The left is blinded by their own intolerance and hatred towards morals and religous beliefs that the majority of Americans value.

The majority of Americans at one time valued slavery. That doesn't make it right. The regressive brand of fundamentalist Christianity peddled by Bush et al is a vile thing, majority or not.

Thelonious, as Bush has said on many occasions, America didn't start this war. It was those idiots who flew the planes into the buildings that started it.

Bush started teh war with Iraq which is chewing up American lives daily and providing massive fodder for anti-American sentiment the world over. The big winners of this election are folks like Osama bin Laden.

I think this election is more significant for the Dems. In the US Congess, they are now in the position of the Tories in Canada. The perpetually losing party on the wrong side of too many issues or perceived somehow as being inept.

The Democrats long ago sacrificed any principles they might have had. Maybe this defeat will be a signal to them to go back to their roots as the party of the downtrodden and the working class, as opposed to the current Republican Lite brand. But I doubt it.

See this is the thing. The left is blinded by their own intolerance and hatred towards morals and religous beliefs that the majority of Americans value.

The majority of Americans at one time valued slavery. That doesn't make it right. The regressive brand of fundamentalist Christianity peddled by Bush et al is a vile thing, majority or not.

Your blatent intolerance and bigotry is disgusting! It's sad that somehow there is one religion that is OK to bash and discriminate against.

We can play this game all day. OBL's primary beef with America is that America has always backed Israel. Al-Queda and, at one time or another, every Arab state has been or is at war with Israel. OBL's attack on America was, as he perceives it, an attack on the ally of his enemy.

Yes, he killed 3,000 civilians. The Allies killed many times more fire-bombing Dresden and Hamburg. The moral of that story is that there is no moral and just way to conduct a war. People are going to suffer and die, and at least some of them won't deserve to. OBL intented to kill civilians, and that's wrong. But any war is waged with the understanding that innocents will die no matter how hard you try to avoid it - how does that stack up as a moral issue?

Your blatent intolerance and bigotry is disgusting! It's sad that somehow there is one religion that is OK to bash and discriminate against.

The false Christianity most Americans (Bush included) ascribe to is grounded in bigotry and intolerance.

I think it's OK to bash anyone who touts a theocracy. I don't care if they are Christian, Muslim or Rastafarian: religion has no place in public discourse. If that's offensive, well, tough.

That's not what he said. He said the "regressive and fundamentalist brand" of Christianity is a problem. I fully agree, and I would call myself a fundamentalist Christian. "Fundamentalist" is a very mis-used term. The most fundamental point of Christianity - the point that Christ said was the most important - is not to aggress, to love your neighbour, to do no harm.

Therefore, anyone who claims to be Christian and proposes using violence and coercion to punish people for their lifestyles, sexual preferences or habits, or to expropriate their belongings, or waging "just war", is being fundamentally anti-Christian. These are the people to whom Christ promised that, on judgement day, he would say, "Get away from me! I never knew you."

Kerry lost because Bush, though a demonstratable failure with no clear policies or direction, used the politics of fear to project the image of a strong leader, proving once again that a lie, repeated often enough, becomes true.

It's a sad day for America and the world. The America of four years from now will be far worse off; a deeply divided pariah-state. How many more of her sons will die in foreign sands? How many more will go hungry, lose jobs and livliehoods? How many more will sicken and die in the wealthiest country on earth?How much more poison will be poured into the land, air and water?

Hatred of Bush is far from irrational. It is a hatred of greed, war, bigotry, corruption, waste, ignorance, and fear.

That was a fine, succint commentary, BD. I agree with every word.

We are entering a very dangerous period for the world.

I think there is a lot of hypocrisy here. If I would have made those comments about any other religion I would be branded an Alberta redneck or right wing bigot. The comments are unacceptable.

BTW

The most fundamental point of Christianity - the point that Christ said was the most important - is not to aggress, to love your neighbour, to do no harm.

What about when Christ whipped the money changers in the temple. I would call that aggression.