Comparing progress and scientific advancement with Naziism is fatuous. The Western enlightenment tradition has nothing to do with fascism. It is opposed to totalitarian statism. Western society has benefited mankind and especially those posting on this site, regardless of what leftist pro Castro, pro Arafat think tanks state.

The comparison is not between Western elightenment values and fascism, but between fascism and the "values" espoused by the theoconservativivism embodied by George Bush, "values" which have little in common with those of the great thinkers of the Enlightenment. Today's Republican party has little common idealogical ground with the principles of classic liberalism the U.S. was founded on.

If anything, the G.O.P/theocon ideology bears a stunning resemblence to the thinking that was in vogue in pre- World War 1 Germany. The prevaling philosophy was that it was Germany's obligation to bring it's superior culture to the rest of the world by force of arms to create an everlasting peace with the German Empire as it's overseer.

To compare our Western world with oriental despotism or fascist tyranny is to display the insanity embedded in Noam Chomsky and Michael Moore.

You've never actually read Chomsky, have you?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bush won fair and circle.

Certainly not in 2000. MAYBE this time, depending on the view one takes of the fairness of campaigning from a position of encumbency gained illegitimately. And assuming that the election wasn't rigged in some undetectable fashion. After all, we know that Repugs were willing to steal one election. Who's to say they wouldn't do it the next time, only with improved methods?

I doubt that one can deny the usefulness to the West of its primary religious doctrine.

That depends on what doctrine you think that is. In any event, the religious character of whatever that doctrine is is certainly not useful in the social discourse or formulating public policy.

Placing or claiming to place an idea beyond the reach of reasoned analysis or criticism is an inately detrimental approach.

:lol: *has been laughing since the day of the election and the position re-won...

...hasnt been able to stop... :lol:

:lol: ...keeps going 10 days later...*

WOAH THE STATES ARE SCREWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Oh wow *wipes eyes* personally, if I was an American, I would do what my yank significant other did--declare yourself a libertarian and not vote for either. <_< heh

But if I couldnt do that, hell I'd take Bush over Kerry. Kerry flipped flopped SO many times, fence sitter. At least Bush kept solid with MOST of his campaigning. But its not my concern HAHAHAH!!!!!!

OHHHH THOSE POOR AMERICANS! We need to go and save them all. Ready? HEAVE!

What I find really funny is that the right wingers here seem to think that lefties are actually upset that George W. Bush beat out George W. Bush's clone. Sorry to disappoint, no tears here.

Before the election, Eureka said it best. If Bush wins, he will have no Democrat to scapegoat or blame for the screwed up economy. And hey, since his re-election, my Canadian/Euro portfolio has been a rockin! The exchange alone ensures that. Thankfully, I pulled out most of my American content years ago. Keep screwin' it up down there Bush, 'cuz I'm making out up here. :P