GermanWings Accident Triggers New Rules

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely we must be in an age where if a computer reads the radar and if it indicates that the airplane is headed at the side of a mountain that default safety procedures would cause the plane to go up or to avoid the crash.

So then you have technology where commercial airliners can be remotely hacked and controlled without anyone even needing to hijack the plane.

Surely we must be in an age where if a computer reads the radar and if it indicates that the airplane is headed at the side of a mountain that default safety procedures would cause the plane to go up or to avoid the crash.

Never flew into or out of Castlgar BC airport? Or the worlds steepest landing strip in the Alps of France? On the latter you actually do fly into a mountain. In the former, the mtn rings the runway.

No planes would land if your scenario were the case.

Already there some time ago, sort of. Its called Ground Proximity Waring System, or GPWS. It uses airborne radar altimeter to determine terrain closure rate and warns the pilot. However not much you can do if he or she is determined to fly into the ground.

Never flew into or out of Castlgar BC airport? Or the worlds steepest landing strip in the Alps of France? On the latter you actually do fly into a mountain. In the former, the mtn rings the runway.

Yeah for sure. I spent a while flying around the Hindu Kush making landings every 15 minutes at times. Would have had to pull the CB on that system.

However not much you can do if he or she is determined to fly into the ground.

As it appears:

torn-up sick notes, including one for the day of the crash, "support the current preliminary assessment that the deceased hid his illness from his employer and colleagues."

Not in the cockpit rule for sure. C 51, whole other story, however I see Harper is yielding to at least 4 amendments. Probably has to do with the waning support for the bill.

You mean the hearing process is working as designed? Yeah, big scandal there. :rolleyes:

I dunno, if a car can slam the brakes on while you're backing up because it detects another car approaching then you'd think when your nose got too damn close to a mountain the computer could pull up on the stick.

In fact, from one of the reports I saw the reason the guy didn't just push the nose down and dive into the ground was that the aircraft would not have let him do that.

Why is that rule even necessary? The odds of a problem with a pilot are infinitesimal.

It's happened more than a few times in the last few decades that we know of. Dunno how many we don't know of.

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/26/8294971/pilot-suicide-crash

Edited by Argus

I dunno, if a car can slam the brakes on while you're backing up because it detects another car approaching then you'd think when your nose got too damn close to a mountain the computer could pull up on the stick.

In fact, from one of the reports I saw the reason the guy didn't just push the nose down and dive into the ground was that the aircraft would not have let him do that.

Umm, thats exactly what he did. Why do you think the plane crashed...

Umm, thats exactly what he did. Why do you think the plane crashed...

That is not what he did. Had he done that the plane would not have taken ten minutes to go down. He set the system to the maximum downward angle it would allow him to set, and that was why it took so long to crash.

Sounds like you're asking too many questions!

What's the matter Big Guy? You don't trust the "official story" of what happened?

Before I go any further, I would like to thank the investigators for their super rapid final conclusion as to what happened!!!!!

What was it? One day? 48 hours after the crash, and investigators are dead positive as to what happened!

Bravo! Bravo!

Never knew there was a race on to see how fast this investigation can be concluded?!?!?!?!?

Good thing all the "black" boxes were found with all the memory cards intact to help in their super fast investigation!

http://www.eutimes.net/2015/03/obama-rages-over-germanwings-plane-shootdown-refuses-to-meet-nato-leader/

And remember, don't ask any questions! This forum doesn't need people asking questions!

WWWTT

That is not what he did. Had he done that the plane would not have taken ten minutes to go down. He set the system to the maximum downward angle it would allow him to set, and that was why it took so long to crash.

He selected a rate of descent and reactivated the autopilot. Or, he deactivated the autopilot and just pushed the nose down. We will know for sure if they ever find the FDR.

He selected a rate of descent and reactivated the autopilot. Or, he deactivated the autopilot and just pushed the nose down. We will know for sure if they ever find the FDR.

We already know for sure. From what I heard on one show the A320 won't allow a pilot to put it into a nose deep dive because it wouldn't be safe. That's why he didn't just push the plane into a steep dive. Instead he set the autopilot for its maximum rate of descent and sat back for the ten minutes it took for the plane to crash.

We already know for sure. From what I heard on one show the A320 won't allow a pilot to put it into a nose deep dive because it wouldn't be safe. That's why he didn't just push the plane into a steep dive. Instead he set the autopilot for its maximum rate of descent and sat back for the ten minutes it took for the plane to crash.

You can deactivate the autopilot but I wont tell you how. Its how the first A 320 crash happened. 3200 fpm is not a steep rate of descent. Its easy to exceed that. Doesnt really matter does it.

Different rates of speed, different rates of reaction betw a car and a plane makes this comment moot for the most part,and in theory you have a point but the reality is the warning systems react to get a pilot to change course and in some cases the plane can do it but not all.

Dunno....didnt see anything like that.

IMPACT CRATER!

Keep looking for the pictures of the IMPACT CRATER.

Or maybe the pilot switched the controls to "NO IMPACT CRATER"?

WWWTT

You dont necessarily get an impact crater when you fly into the ground at a shallow angle and high speed. You get what they got, the plane shattered into little pieces over a big area.

You dont necessarily get an impact crater when you fly into the ground at a shallow angle and high speed. You get what they got, the plane shattered into little pieces over a big area.

LOL!

1 vote for the pilot switching the controls to "NO IMPACT CRATER"!

WWWTT

Each is an example of new rules to prevent something that has a very small chance of happening.

One policy affects applies to a cockpit of a plane and has no effect on any rights. The other is national legislation that affects an entire nation... yeah.... Exactly the same.

:rolleyes: