Bill C-51: Federal Anti-Terror Legislation polling results

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that isn't acceptable today, nor is it likely to bring positive change.

Then tell the police to stop the personal violence against protesters.

Or ... maybe not.

Maybe change happens because of public horror at the brutal actions of police and government authority.

Now can you answer my question pls:

How close to your home/community would you be comfortable with drilling and fracking?

Edited by jacee

So I take it you think racial discrimination didnt or doesnt happen north of the 49th.

That's not what you said, is it? You can't always move the goal post in order to prove a point.

Would you edit that please. Thx.

Why? The word only has negative power in a negative context? He was trying to make a point, a clear language is important.

How close to your home/community would you be comfortable with drilling and fracking?

In it. It would be excellent for this community.

Remember this positive change from armed rebellion in Canada:

Responsible government-equal rights for all

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/eppp-archive/100/205/300/liberal-ef/05-05-24/www.liberal.ca/history_e.aspx

The Reformers were opposed to the special privileges of the ruling oligarchies in Upper and Lower Canada ... who governed with disregard for and usually in opposition to the wishes of the majority.

The Reformers saw responsible government as the means to root out special privilege and give equal rights to all.

Frustration with the seeming impossibility of reform led the reformers to resort to arms in the Rebellion of 1837. Although the rebellion was small, and quickly failed, it demonstrated the reformers determination and the fact that the need for reform was great.

... the Durham Report ... the union of Upper and Lower Canada and the immediate grant of responsible government.

I think you have trouble with the phrase recent history. We're talking post 1982.

You can, but I'm talking about history:

Because of the Farmers' Rebellion, willingness to engage in armed insurrection the elite oligarchs caved and we got government that was responsible to the people, equal rights for all ... well at least all men.

One man, one vote.

A pretty significant Canadian accomplishment wouldn't you say?

Edited by jacee

Sometimes it doesn't come down to violence but to number of votes:

"Prime Minister Robert Borden wasn't keen on the idea of women voting, but he was desperate to win the upcoming fall 1917 election and felt he needed extra votes. The election was fought solely on the issue of mandatory military service, which Borden's government had legislated months earlier.

On September 20, 1917, Parliament passed the Wartime Elections Act, which removed the right to vote from Canadians born in enemy countries. But it also granted the vote to the wives, mothers and sisters of serving soldiers, as well as women serving in the armed forces.

The measure became law in September 1917 On December 17th of the same year, some 500,000 Canadian women voted for the first time in the federal elections. Borden's coalition government swept to victory."

Sometimes it doesn't come down to violence but to number of votes:

PM Harper knows that the Liberals and NDP are weak on terror. The PM will convince Canadians that they cannot protect us from the terrorists. I don't see the other two parties as being able to seriously convince people that they will be protected from terror. Terrorism will be one of the most important topics come election time. A lot of people are wanting to be made to feel safe from terror.

PM Harper knows that the Liberals and NDP are weak on terror. The PM will convince Canadians that they cannot protect us from the terrorists. I don't see the other two parties as being able to seriously convince people that they will be protected from terror. Terrorism will be one of the most important topics come election time. A lot of people are wanting to be made to feel safe from terror.

Harper knows how to prey on the weak of mind and convince them there are Jihadis on every street corner. Most of us know better.

Harper knows how to prey on the weak of mind and convince them there are Jihadis on every street corner. Most of us know better.

I don't think he ever mentioned that they were on every street corner. At the same time it is irresponsible to pretend that terrorism doesn't exist. I think only someone who truly doesn't care about the countries citizens would suggest that we just do nothing.

I don't think he ever mentioned that they were on every street corner. At the same time it is irresponsible to pretend that terrorism doesn't exist. I think only someone who truly doesn't care about the countries citizens would suggest that we just do nothing.

Not suggesting we do nothing. We already have laws that work well. If the gov. wants to intrude more into our freedoms, they should be willing to provide independent safeguards so they dont get carried away. Harper is known for his power tripping.

I was out at "bowling night" with members of my synagogue (where Jews worship) and my rabbi. My rabbi is slighly left-leaning. I said, and he agreed, that every time ISIS chops someone's head off or burns someone alive their opponents, political conservatives gain.

I was out at "bowling night" with members of my synagogue (where Jews worship) and my rabbi. My rabbi is slighly left-leaning. I said, and he agreed, that every time ISIS chops someone's head off or burns someone alive their opponents, political conservatives gain.

Do you actually think the only opponents of ISIS are conservatives...

Slightly left-leaning, political conservatives who bowl? How exactly do political conservatives gain (not to state the obvious, but I want to hear it from you)? And why do you buy into this?

Edited by WestCoastRunner

Yep, lefty moderate Muslims probably hear much the same thing when chatting about Coalition drones and vaporized babies with conservative Islamic zealots.

I guess if you've seen one conservative you've seen them all.