First Nations Girl who Refused Chemo has Died

Boges

There was a thread about this before, I'll start a new one to discuss the outcome.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/health-care-must-do-better-at-respecting-aboriginal-patients-journal-urges/article22517597/

One of the two Ontario native girls who were removed from chemotherapy by their parents last year and given an aboriginal therapy to treat their cancer has died.

Makayla Sault, an 11-year-old member of the Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation, passed away at home on Monday afternoon.

“She didn’t die of cancer,” said Chief Bryan LaForme, who is acting as a spokesman for the family. “Her immune system had been badly affected by the radiation that she had, so she succumbed from a stroke.”

Apparently the chance of recovery was 90%. How can allowing a child to make the call on their medical treatment be anything short of child abuse?

Parents can get charged for not feeding their children properly or dressing them in proper clothes or EVEN letting them walk home from school at a certain age. But these parents let their child make the shortsighted call of refusing treatment that could have saved her life.

Every party involved in this should feel ashamed of themselves.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first two things asked of me when I came down with cancer:

1) are you going to get medical marijuana?

2) are you going to fight it using diet/vitamins/magic fairy pills?

I always said: nope, I will use science based medicine.

It was hard but staying alive is never as easy as we like to make it seem.

At least that girl isn't going to have children so from an evolution point of view this is good.

I don't have a single gram of sympathy for anyone in that family, that community, and the judge. They killed that girl.

Uh, jacee, you do know that leukaemia itself can cause strokes?

She was off of radiation for many months so her cancer was not being treated (well, maybe by some magic First Nation berries).

More likely the cancer was the cause of the stroke than the radiation.

Apparently the chance of recovery was 90%.

So there was a chance she still would have died after suffering through the torturous effects of radiation therapy, right?

I still don't see what the problem here is. It's sad that this girl died, but ultimately everyone should be free to decide for themselves what is done to them medically. In this case, an underage child should make the decision with their parents.

Nobody has a right to impose medical practices on anyone.

So there was a chance she still would have died after suffering through the torturous effects of radiation therapy, right?

I still don't see what the problem here is. It's sad that this girl died, but ultimately everyone should be free to decide for themselves what is done to them medically. In this case, an underage child should make the decision with their parents.

Nobody has a right to impose medical practices on anyone.

Yet it's illegal for children not to go to school before the Age of 18. The State steps in for the well being of a minor all the time.

The only difference, is that here we're talking about a FN child and the optics aren't good when you tell them what to do, but CAS can be called when a child draws a picture with his father holding a gun.

Hopefully the Police/CAS do nothing to the parents.

Hopefully the parents will go to jail for child abuse & neglect.

A serious illness killed this girl.

Which could have been easily treated.

Enough.

Why? Does pointing out the truth make you upset?

Look, months ago when this story first surfaced I said a combination of political correctness and belief in fairy tales will likely kill this girl.

Now, the combination of political correctness and belief in fairy tales has killed this girl.

Is it so wrong to point this out?

I guess you didn't read the article.

She died of a stroke related to the radiation treatment.

That is quite unlikely. Medical science in all likely hood would have saved this girl. Belief in fairy tales probably killed her. A false choice is no choice at all. The parents should be locked away.

Yes, because the belief did nothing to kill her.

It did lead the parents to make a wrong choice but theose things didnt kill her.

So her parents and everyone around her brainwash her into thinking this magical jesus character exists.

She then sees this magical jesus character in a dream. The magical jesus character tells her to stop chemotherapy.

She then goes off chemotherapy for 'traditional' and 'alternative' treatement.

She then dies a few months later even though she had a 90-95% survival rate with chemotherapy.

But, clearly belief in fairy tales had nothing to do with it...

Much like how Islam has nothing to do with the recent attacks in France, Canada, Australia, Nigeria, Cameroon, Yemen, Syria, etc. *sarcasm*

A serious illness killed this girl.

If her parents decided to stop feeding her and she died they'd be arrested and imprisoned. If they decided she had to stay outside in cold of winter and she froze to death they'd be arrested and imprisoned. A child cannot give consent to anything. This was not her decision. It was her parents decision.

And that of a moron of a judge, who, imho, should be thrown off the bench.

Chemo therapy is not "easy" and in any case it's not for you to decide what treatments someone else must undergo.

It's not for 11 year old children to decide, either.

Only to people with reading comprehension problems.

Well then by all means, explain yourself.

It's not for 11 year old children to decide, either.

And you'll notice I said it's for them to decide with their parents.

Well then by all means, explain yourself.

Sorry. That wasn't fair. It could be intentional ignorance or perhaps a problem with math skills. I'm not really sure.

And you'll notice I said it's for them to decide with their parents.

Sorry. That wasn't fair. It could be intentional ignorance or perhaps a problem with math skills. I'm not really sure.

How can a parent decide to kill their child? Because that's what happened here.

As for math skills, you're the one talking about there still being a chance of dying. It seems like that would be an irrelevant statement. I could die right now.