Alberta Election

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tuned out as soon as I heard Ralphie talking about "standing up to Ottawa" as the issue.
eureka, I think I disagree with you often but I'll agree with you here.

Klein has used his schtick on Albertan rubes. It works.

schtick : a show-business routine, gimmick, or gag

rube : not very intelligent or interested in culture

Though I will not vote PC, I can say one thing for Klein. He has not done anything in years which is kinda good news.

there any polls out there showing how far from close this election looks to be? Is Klien expected to maintain his seats, or loose some ground this election? I am basing this on the assumption that he has kinda ran out of seats to gain.

I think the PCs' alone are at 50% with Ralph at 65% personal approval.

This may be a dumb question but why doesn't someone create a new party/change an old party to create an alternative to the Conservatives?

Alberta Alliance. Klein made a mistake when he recently told the east to keep its hands off of Alberta's wealth. Usually that works, but there was nothing done to stir such negative sentiment and it embarrassed many in the corporate sector. He should just shut up and win.

Right now we have maybe 3 contentious issues in Alberta that people are concerned about. Thats health, education and insurance premiums. You could throw in utility rates in that basket too and have a debate going. Health just got a boost from the feds so everyone and their dog will come up with diverse ways of spending this money. Alberta is not the only place that has problems in this area. Education just got another shot in the arm with the teachers union signing their contracts. Money has been promised to build more schools. Insurance premiums are a big issue as anyone who drives needs it. Is it an issue that can make or break a party during this election? Probably noy unless someone says something really stupid.

Klein will win again as times are pretty good right now unless he really sticks his foot in it again. He will lose some seats this time around as it's kind of hard to go up from where he is and some areas will send him a message by voting either liberal or alliance.

Klein will win again as times are pretty good right now unless he really sticks his foot in it again

Klein suffers from the same malady as the Federal Liberals: can't lose-itis.

It would have to be a pretty monstrous SNAFU for Klein to lose any great amount of seats.

This may be a dumb question but why doesn't some create a new party/change an old party to create an alternative to the Conservatives?

When was there not a Conservative government in Alberta? (Presto's dad?)

I take this as evidence that Albertans are apolitical.

There are always new political parties being created in Alberta the latest is the Alberta Alliance. and the separation party of Alberta.

Alberta Separation Party is offering free tuition.

Q. We have had quite a "brain drain" over the years. How to you propose to rectify this inequity?

A. Our policies are clear on this. We propose that all students attending our universities, colleges and technical schools in Alberta will have their tuition and books paid for by the government, provided they sign an agreement that they will stay and work in Alberta for a minimum of 5 years after which time their loans will be forgiven.

When was there not a Conservative government in Alberta? (Presto's dad?)

Harry Strom lost to Lougheed in 1971, finishing 37 years of SoCred rule and beginning three decades of Tory dominance.

We have had quite a "brain drain" over the years. How to you propose to rectify this inequity?

Nothing wrong with free tuition, but Alberta has definitely been on the recieveing end of a brain gain.

He may be in trouble if he picks too much on the little guys like the disabled. I agree that abusers of the system should be punished, but he went about it all wrong.

It'll just be water off a duck's back before the election, I suspect. Klein seems to have a knack for putting his foot in his mouth and people forgetting about it.

OH, I do believe that he will win. I just think it is time for the party and Province to elect a more dignified and mature leader who doesn't always shoot off at the mouth and say the wrong things. Oh well, that is Alberta's problem. Hopefully, we in BC WILL replace his buddy here in BC come May 11th. Perhaps we will elect the first female provincial premier. We did have the first; just not elected.

First off: if there's abuse in the system, that needs to be addressed, ASAP.

Second off: I know for a fact that bureacrats who work the system have been 'abusing' it of sorts, telling people that they shouldn't be going to university, instead just taking AISH and being happy. (True story, repeated independently in 5 seperate interviews I did.)

Third off: Klein, seriously, as if eugenics fiasco wasn't enough, you had to do this.

What's really sick: so many Albertans agree with him about the disabled.

And the worse part:

The Alberta government refuses to even help those who are disabled: to buy the equipment they'd need to go to work. Many of those who are on AISH, want off of it.

These people...so ignorant.

It doesn't surprise me though.

Just wait till the boomers start getting disabled because of age. Of course, they won't learn even then.

What really gets me is how are these permanently disable people expected to live on 850 per month.

They need more than that to live. We need to house and feed them more economically. We need to build housing for them that enables them to get around better and share the extra help they need. We pay more for people to travel all over to help them. Pooling resources and letting them live in a building that makes things more accessible to them including transportation to allow them to get out into the community.

I would like to see the mentally handicapped returned to a more segregated community setting where they can be better looked after and controlled. Letting them out on the streets where they drift into drugs, homelessness and harassing others is not a step forward. I am not talking about lock up but places where they can be given jobs and learn to take care of themselves adequately. Allowing them to decide for themselves is not the responsible way. Many are not capable of making good decisions without help. It is not in their best interests nor is it isn the best interests of the community at large.

Many of these people are unpredictable and could endanger others.