'Young people these days ...'

jacee

Can an automated truck avoid a child in the road?

Yes.

Making a living in the Arts has never been an easy task.

Agreed. But the nature of art and artisan work changes over time. In some ways we're better off now than a few decades ago.

Health, residential care and services for the senior baby boom generation is a growing field, but I don't think the millennials would be happy to hear that looking after the despised boomers is their future. :/

Maybe not, but there are other fields that are booming for them that are more 'social'. Even graphic design, interior design and so on require you to be local to a degree, to be able to meet with clients.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing you can do with a truck, though, is program it to park if conditions are becoming bad, or are forecast to be bad. It would still be lower cost than paying a driver.To my mind, everything potentially could be automated but the last jobs to be automated will be the ones that require frequent on-the-spot tactical thinking or anything that requires a human touch, such as waitering, sales, the arts and so on.

What defines the "conditions are becoming bad" and who or what makes that decision?

Really? Who's going to chain them up or make the decision to park it? More to driving in poor conditions than just vehicle control.

You ever watch Highway Through Hell? From watching that it seems a lot of truck drivers don't know how to make that decision either, and many of them don't know how to chain up their tires.

No, not to drive themselves. But the design problem isn't as difficult as you seem to think it is.

The benefits to society from driverless vehicles will be massive, by the way.

I think you underestimate the problem when it comes to dealing with things like weather which can present an almost infinite number of different scenarios. Bonam would have trucks shutting down based on nothing more than information provided by an onboard camera and a traction sensor. Conditions that might be localized to only a 100 yards or so and certainly no farther than the range of the camera.

I agree that there will be great benefits from driverless vehicles. For one thing, they have the potential to extend people's mobility well past the point where they should no longer be driving.

I think you underestimate the problem when it comes to dealing with things like weather which can present an almost infinite number of different scenarios.

These are solvable problems. Avoiding bad weather altogether could be an approach too.

I agree that there will be great benefits from driverless vehicles. For one thing, they have the potential to extend people's mobility well past the point where they should no longer be driving.

And eliminating the need for human labour in this field, which is expensive. Don't forget that one.

These are solvable problems. Avoiding bad weather altogether could be an approach too.

And eliminating the need for human labour in this field, which is expensive. Don't forget that one.

You can't always avoid bad weather, you just have to deal with it.

OK, so eliminating jobs is a good thing?

OK, so eliminating jobs is a good thing?

I wrote that part because I thought this may be the issue that needs the most discussion.

Yes, eliminating jobs is a good thing. It's difficult to manage on a large scale, but it's a good thing and it always has been a good thing, economically speaking.

Automation takes unchallenging work away from humans and reduces the cost to society overall. The cost savings should be used to ease transition for affected workers.

In 1870, 70-80 percent of the US population was employed in agriculture.[15] As of 2008, less than 2 percent of the population is directly employed in agriculture.[16][17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agriculture_in_the_United_States

I wrote that part because I thought this may be the issue that needs the most discussion.

Yes, eliminating jobs is a good thing. It's difficult to manage on a large scale, but it's a good thing and it always has been a good thing, economically speaking.

Automation takes unchallenging work away from humans and reduces the cost to society overall. The cost savings should be used to ease transition for affected workers.

In 1870, 70-80 percent of the US population was employed in agriculture.[15] As of 2008, less than 2 percent of the population is directly employed in agriculture.[16][17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agriculture_in_the_United_States

So what do people do for a living? Certainly new fields will open up but it is a leap of faith to assume they will completely make up for those lost to automation and outsourcing. So far, it doesn't seem to be happening.