Canadian companies overseas

jacee

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We shouldn't care what the communist UN thinks about us. They are a left wing world wide communist cabal. They seek to rule the world as a one world government.

That's just what the most powerful and influential beneficiaries of the one-world economy want you to believe.

God help the stinking rich should we ever have a one-world tax code instead of the shell game that nearly two hundred separate governments provide them.

I believe that any business, be it foreign or national, is controlled by the laws and business culture of the host nation. If the accepted business practice is bribes and lies then so be it.

As to investments, I expect that the people handling my investment are getting the best possible return for my dollar. If they are doing something illegal then they will eventually be caught, prosecuted and sentenced - and I will lose my investment. I prefer that they do not break the law.

As to the morals, ethics and investment returns for Canadian businesses in foreign countries, I say do what is legal and compete on the same level playing field.

You want to change the world? Do it on your dime - not mine.

I believe that any business, be it foreign or national, is controlled by the laws and business culture of the host nation. If the accepted business practice is bribes and lies then so be it.

You are wrong. Look it up.

As to investments, I expect that the people handling my investment are getting the best possible return for my dollar. If they are doing something illegal then they will eventually be caught, prosecuted and sentenced - and I will lose my investment. I prefer that they do not break the law.

As to the morals, ethics and investment returns for Canadian businesses in foreign countries, I say do what is legal and compete on the same level playing field.

Then you'd better not be investing in Canadian Mining companies operating internationally. They have the worst record in the world.

While laws vary from nation to nation I am stating what I think. Perhaps I should re-phrase "is" to "should be".

You have your views and I have mine. I respect your opinion. I would never use your money to promote my agenda and I would expect you to not use my money to promote yours.

Laws that prohibit Canadian/US/European corporations from offering bribes can be useful to corporations in negotiations because it gives the corporation an excuse to refuse to pay the bribe. This may put the Canadian corporation at a disadvantage if it is competing with Chinese players but in the long term will force these kleptocrats to accept that western corporations don't pay bribes so if they want what the western corporation sells they can't expect them.

You want to change the world? Do it on your dime - not mine.

Don't try that if you are representing a US company or you might find out all about the foreign corrupt practices act.

The financial institutions and individuals responsible for 2008's financial meltdown that cost the public trillions, are still counting their profits - not prosecuted, not sentenced. How did this come pass? They own the gov't which should hold them accountable.

All the high school social studies homilies you can conjure will not protect your investments.

To TimG - I wish you were correct but I disagree. If the kleptocrats require bribes as the cost of doing business then they will give their business to those who do.

We (you) are not going to change the way of international business practices by trying to force others into accepting ours. Nice guys finish last and those who adapt get the contracts.

To Vancouver King - What does "All the high school social studies homilies you can conjure will not protect your investments" mean?

Please expand and explain.

To TimG - I wish you were correct but I disagree. If the kleptocrats require bribes as the cost of doing business then they will give their business to those who do.

It all comes down to whether the kleptocrats need a service or product that only western companies can provide. In many cases this is true and the kleptocrats are forced to accept the terms. In other cases the kleptocrats may go with with a Chinese supplier but they may find the price and/or terms are much worse than they would be if they simply did not ask for the bribe from a western corporation. The foreign corrupt practices act is not perfect but it is better than nothing. Edited by TimG

To Vancouver King - What does "All the high school social studies homilies you can conjure will not protect your investments" mean?

Please expand and explain.

Your paragraph on investment security reads a bit like a text book on how Western societies should treat it's investors - financial institutions holding your investments safely and profitably as a priority, fraudsters and criminals charged and sentenced, etc.

The problem, of course, is it's all a pipe dream. Banks and investment houses too big to fail - and too big to be regulated - now operate with impunity without the slightest concern for investors or the society they function in.