Lowering Voting Age to 16

You often can, that's why low voter turnout is not a bad thing. Let those who are engaged enough to make an informed decision do so, leave those who either can't or can't be bothered to do whatever else they deem important.

I feel the same way. It's not clear why you would make efforts or spend money to encourage people who don't care, to get out and vote. People who don't care about it, don't know what's going on. Why would you specifically want to get the least informed to the polls for decisions that affect everyone?

The fact that the most uninterested, unmotivated, disorganized and lazy don't vote is a feature, not a bug.

Edited by hitops

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was mentioned in another thread...

I do think there are some data points that people should know. If you don't know the capital of the country, or who is in power how civic minded are you ? How can you be expected to vote ?

What if everyone had to pass the citizenship test before they could vote? New citizens are expected to know the things contained in this guide: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/pub/discover.pdf

I bet there's a lot of Canadian-born citizens who don't even know a good proportion of it.

I don't know, my oldest at sixteen was far more equipped to vote then me. Her siblings on the other hand couldn't care less. I've been following politics for awhile now and my problem is we don't always get what we vote for (look how Redford turned out :-/). Harper was better in his earlier years but now it may be time to send him out to pasture. Problem is the alternatives may not be that promising either,

What if everyone had to pass the citizenship test before they could vote? New citizens are expected to know the things contained in this guide: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/pub/discover.pdf

I bet there's a lot of Canadian-born citizens who don't even know a good proportion of it.

I was shocked to realize that there were answers I didn't know, and not just the leader of the Bloc.

Looking at the list of parties in the House of Commons, there were six slots. "Hmmm" that looks like a lot, thought humble Hardner, adding "let's see..."

Conservatives, Liberals, NDP, Bloc, Greens... and.... and....

I had to look it up. How many have you heard about the sixth party in the H of C ? Fess up now...

The reason new citizens are expected to know some of that stuff is because it has been decided that it is incumbent upon newcomers to try to find something out about their new country and the people who live there. Natural born citizens are already pretty much clued in to what Canada is about and the culture of living here. I could wish we taught more history, but not knowing it isn't going to leave you a stranger in the country you were brought up in.

I don't know, my oldest at sixteen was far more equipped to vote then me.

I followed politics quite closely when I was a teenager. I thought I was pretty smart, and had a pretty good gasp of the issues. But I was also keeping a journal, on and off back then, and reading it as an adult just made me shake my head. You simply do not have the world experience to form real judgements about complex issues when you're sixteen.

I was shocked to realize that there were answers I didn't know, and not just the leader of the Bloc.

Looking at the list of parties in the House of Commons, there were six slots. "Hmmm" that looks like a lot, thought humble Hardner, adding "let's see..."

Conservatives, Liberals, NDP, Bloc, Greens... and.... and....

I had to look it up. How many have you heard about the sixth party in the H of C ? Fess up now...

I had no idea. They have as many seats as the Green Party too.

The reason new citizens are expected to know some of that stuff is because it has been decided that it is incumbent upon newcomers to try to find something out about their new country and the people who live there. Natural born citizens are already pretty much clued in to what Canada is about and the culture of living here. I could wish we taught more history, but not knowing it isn't going to leave you a stranger in the country you were brought up in.

Knowing it certainly doesn't make you any less a stranger either when you look, dress, and speak "funny."

Nevertheless, should this not be the basic level of knowledge someone should have if they're going to vote? If a person doesn't know who their current MP is, what party they're with, who that party's leader is, nor what their constituency is, who the other parties are nor their leaders, what the different branches of government are and who makes them up, who the head of state is, etc...... should they be voting? If you don't even know how the government functions or what your options are on election day, then why on earth should you be casting a ballot?

You often can, that's why low voter turnout is not a bad thing. Let those who are engaged enough to make an informed decision do so, leave those who either can't or can't be bothered to do whatever else they deem important.

Low voter turnout has no relevance on the conversation. You're talking about altogether denying the option/right to vote to legal adults, many of whom are engaged and interested enough to make a (relatively) informed decision.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm all for it. It doesn't seem to be doing any harm in Australia. When I was 16 I wanted it. It really annoyed me that neither of my parents ever voted and they still haven't. Since I have been of age I have voted in every election I've been eligible to vote in. I do not see a downside to allowing 16 and 17 year olds to vote.