Scotland Independence - YES or NO?

Big Guy

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's No.

Not surprised........I’ve been watching the Scottish BBC coverage all evening with my family, in particular, my 83 year young father, a native of Aberdeenshire (Ironically the area represented by Salmond in Holyrood) and though not surprised with the result, certainly a sense of relief…..

One interesting point made by several of the BBC commentators, was that the areas with the greatest “yes” vote (Glasgow, Dundee etc.) are particularly poor and reliant upon social assistance, and historically lower voter turnout…..With this referendum, most of the council areas saw an average of over 85% turnout, with the poorer areas in the 70%s……..Another interesting point mentioned on the broadcast, like Quebec in ’95, the majority of new Scots were voting to maintain the Union…..I wonder if Nationalists will blame the immigrants, coupled with the rumbles of Westminster’s “fear machine” delivered by the BBC, for the result :rolleyes:

Living in Quebec through 2 referendums i can assure you there will be some animosity from the yes side toward the no side, Excuses as to the yes sides loss will be aimed at many.. And expect another referendum in the next 10 years.

At least it wasn't a really close result but certainly close enough to get everyone's attention. There would be hard feelings either way but the worst scenario for the yes side was the status quo. Much scarier for the no side. A lot will depend on the reaction to this in Westminster and whether they live up to the promises for more localized power in Scotland

Not surprised........I’ve been watching the Scottish BBC coverage all evening with my family, in particular, my 83 year young father, a native of Aberdeenshire (Ironically the area represented by Salmond in Holyrood) and though not surprised with the result, certainly a sense of relief…..

One interesting point made by several of the BBC commentators, was that the areas with the greatest “yes” vote (Glasgow, Dundee etc.) are particularly poor and reliant upon social assistance, and historically lower voter turnout…..With this referendum, most of the council areas saw an average of over 85% turnout, with the poorer areas in the 70%s……..Another interesting point mentioned on the broadcast, like Quebec in ’95, the majority of new Scots were voting to maintain the Union…..I wonder if Nationalists will blame the immigrants, coupled with the rumbles of Westminster’s “fear machine” delivered by the BBC, for the result :rolleyes:

The big cities were interesting. Glasgow, Yes. Edinburgh, No.

It will be interesting to see if Scotland will now get those additional powers that were promised.

More so, if Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England will get the promised powers bringing them closer to a Canadian like Confederation.......The Dance has started already, with British Scottish Labour saying they would reject the Tories proposals in 2015.

One interesting point made by several of the BBC commentators, was that the areas with the greatest “yes” vote (Glasgow, Dundee etc.) are particularly poor and reliant upon social assistance, and historically lower voter turnout…..With this referendum, most of the council areas saw an average of over 85% turnout, with the poorer areas in the 70%s…

Areas filled with the very sorts of people you normally associate with low-information and stupidity i.e. poor, on welfare and usually too lazy to even bother to vote. Blame the ethnic vote, hardly, praise the lazy vote is more like it. I suspect the new powers promised Scotland will also come with more money for welfare. Funny how things work out eh?

Maybe what's really most threatening about removing constraints on how we use democracy is that doing so reveals the unexpected places our society is interconnected. The lesson that social activists normally associated with separatist movements in other limited democracies will probably take away is how referendums on separation can result in greater distribution of wealth to the poor. Strike the fear of change into the hearts of the wealthy and powerful (easy peasy), sit back why they preach doom and gloom about the end of the social welfare state so that the low information voters can be motivated to vote in...everyone's interests. Priceless. :lol:

Edited by eyeball

Areas filled with the very sorts of people you normally associate with low-information and stupidity i.e. poor, on welfare and usually too lazy to even bother to vote.

Or.. if your life sucks and there's little prospect of it improving because the economy sucks and there's no jobs, having the system overthrown by a new system doesn't seem all that bad a thing. Certainly you'd be more willing to risk it. After all, what have you got to lose?

Another ten years waiting for the momentum and willingness for change to rebuild.

Not sure I agree but only time will tell. I remember the Quebec referendum. After the no vote, many warned that the issue will again be in the front every 10years if no changes were made. Well, no changes were made and it looks like separation is a dead issue. Why should it be any different in Scotland?

Not sure I agree but only time will tell. I remember the Quebec referendum. After the no vote, many warned that the issue will again be in the front every 10years if no changes were made. Well, no changes were made and it looks like separation is a dead issue. Why should it be any different in Scotland?

One difference is the EU. European countries are surrendering more and more power to the Europian Parliament, and Central Bank. In the few countries that have had a chance to vote on it, they have voted resoundingly no. Citizens of Europe dont want their lives run by the Brussels Bunglers... a collection of unelected technocrats and bankers... and they dont want the free movement of immigrants either. This is resulting in new popularity for nationalist movements across the EU.