Cocktail du nuit

What are you drinking tonight?

I am having an Angler's Cocktail. Gin, dash grenadine, 2 dashes bitters, 3 dashes orange bitters. Shake on ice and serve. I don't have martini glasses, so a cocktail glass will have to do. I chilled the glass as well.

Dry, bitter.... Nice orange taste too. Next time I will use a bit more grenadine to cut the bitterness a little.

Fresh squeezed grapefruit juice I hope! Makes a big difference. Add some grenadine to that. Call it a firefly. Yumm....

Without the grenadine it's a "greyhound." I'm not sure why they name a drink after a ferocious breed of swift-legged attack dogs.

• 2 weeks later...

Without the grenadine it's a "greyhound." I'm not sure why they name a drink after a ferocious breed of swift-legged attack dogs.

Greyhound is terrific! My new favourite!

What kind of vodka do you use? I bought some Tito's vodka from Texas. Not bad. But I prefer vodka made by Longtable in Vancouver.

Greyhound is terrific! My new favourite!

What kind of vodka do you use? I bought some Tito's vodka from Texas. Not bad. But I prefer vodka made by Longtable in Vancouver.

Usually Finlandia vodka.

But you didn't answer why they name a drink after a ferocious breed of swift-legged attack dogs.

Usually Finlandia vodka.But you didn't answer why they name a drink after a ferocious breed of swift-legged attack dogs.

I think because it goes down so fast.... Greyhound fast!

• 2 weeks later...

I was just in an ice bar in Vegas. It's like just the bar portion of an ice hotel. The entire room is built out of carved ice blocks, including the bar, seating (covered with faux fur), tables, etc. The drinks are even served in glasses made of ice and the temperature is kept at minus 5 degress C.

I had an 18 year old Macallan single malt and later some fruity cocktail called a Snowflake; which I believe contained Sobieski, Amaretto, Peach Schnapps with some orange and cranberry juice. It was like a club shooter in drink form. Normally, I don't really dig the fruity drinks but in that environment anything would have been tolerable. Well, except for maybe Southern Comfort; I don't know how anyone can stomach that stuff.

Cubata is my poison of choice.

7yr or older Havana Club (or other similar genuine Cuban rum)

half a lime

Ice

Cola for colour.

Thankfully, real Cuban rum is easy to come by in Canada. Unfortunately Cuban cola is not. These cocktails just taste better with the Cuban "Tukola" brand. Coca-Cola is an acceptable substitute.

Cubata is my poison of choice.

7yr or older Havana Club (or other similar genuine Cuban rum)

half a lime

Ice

Cola for colour.

Thankfully, real Cuban rum is easy to come by in Canada. Unfortunately Cuban cola is not. These cocktails just taste better with the Cuban "Tukola" brand. Coca-Cola is an acceptable substitute.

How much cola?

Last night I made a margarita.
1 1/2 tequila
1 triple sec
2 lime juice
salt rim
cubed ice
I hear cointreau is better than triple sec, but I don't have any in the bar...

How much cola?

I usually go for one part rum to one part cola. In Cuba, it's usually a little more cola than rum, but not by much. Part of it depends on the availability of limes ( the embargo makes everything hard to get, even in the tourist areas). When they can use a chunk of real lime, less cola is better. When they have to substitute lemon juice, you need more cola to balance it out.

The quality of the rum is a huge factor though. I used to think I didn't like rum. Then I went to Cuba and I realized that was because I'd never had GOOD rum. A premium aged Cuban rum is a lot like a fine whiskey. The really good stuff, like Barrel Proof, you don't need any mix at all.

Greyhounds aren't any more "vicious" than any other dog. They do often sleep with their eyes open though, which makes them kind of freaky.

Some breeds are inherently vicious. Examples are two with apparent Canadian derivations, which are Labrador Retrievers and Newfoundlands. They always bite, and hard.

Water...and more water.

Have to shed some weight, triathlon season is happening right now. No booze except on FriSat night andf that consists of 1 beer each night.

Typically only drink 1 so no stretch there.

A salty dog looks better than water I will grant you that

This sounds horrifying. What a way to live (if you can call it living).

Some breeds are inherently vicious. Examples are two with apparent Canadian derivations, which are Labrador Retrievers and Newfoundlands. They always bite, and hard.

You don't know of what you speak.
Not too many gentle dogs of those breeds.