Florida woman granted asylum in Canada

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Misleading....the age of consent varies by state in the U.S., the majority of which are below 18 years. At least a dozen or more nations have consent ages at 18.

Good counter point!

You caught cyber snoozing.

US states have greater jurisdiction over criminal law.

WWWTT

You might want to keep reading before running your mouth.

You did not differentiate between US federal law and state law in the US.

Sorry buddy but he got you fair and square there, point to BC.

WWWTT

Sorry we did the right thing.

Enjoy your next police shooting

That's what I said...congratulations ! There are many more people around the world that need Canada's help, as they are accused of silly crimes and/or sentenced to crazy punishment. Canada should grant asylum to all of these people, and maybe their families too.

That's what I said...congratulations ! There are many more people around the world that need Canada's help, as they are accused of silly crimes and/or sentenced to crazy punishment. Canada should grant asylum to all of these people, and maybe their families too.

You make em, we'll take em!

WWWTT

I find it mind-boggling that the man doesn't realize that a 30 year sentence for what is a non-crime in Canada is more than a little 'unusual' and certainly 'cruel'.

It's a crime where he committed the action, in a civilized countries whose law Canada presumably respects. I think the sentence is ludicrous but the U.S. has procedures for that.

Edited by jbg

Also, people should look at the history of age of consent laws. It used to be that age of consent was 13 years old. It was raised to 16 in the UK in the late 19th century to combat child prostitution. So really the law is meant to stop child prostitutes. It's not meant to destroy the lives of someone who has a consensual relationship with someone that is deemed mature enough to operate a potentially deadly motor vehicle

You don't have to go back to the 19th century. The age of consent was 14 in Canada until Harper changed it. And yes, it was done in large part for the same reason, to combat child prostitution.

This is great news for statutory rapists in the U.S., or at least the female rapists. As opined above, I suspect that gushing support for this decision would change if genders were reversed.

Not from me. 30 years for consentual sex is nuts.

We do.

Look, I'm often unhappy with lax sentencing on violent crimes here, but sometimes in the US, particularly further south, the sentencing seems extraordinarily vindictive, even vicious, and way out of proportion to any actual damage the individual caused to anyone.

It's a crime where he committed the action, in a civilized countries whose law Canada presumably respects. I think the sentence is ludicrous but the U.S. has procedures for that.

But US courts have not found extraordinarily long sentences, even for non-violent offenses, to constitute cruel and unusual punishment.

http://www.hrw.org/news/2014/05/06/us-nation-behind-bars

http://www.usfca.edu/Newsroom/Global_Perspective/America_s_Harsh_Criminal_Sentences_Are_Out_of_Step/

Edited by Argus

We do.Look, I'm often unhappy with lax sentencing on violent crimes here, but sometimes in the US, particularly further south, the sentencing seems extraordinarily vindictive, even vicious, and way out of proportion to any actual damage the individual caused to anyone.

actually, if you look at the map I posted you'll notice that the South mostly has the same age of consent as Canada. Edited by cybercoma

And marrying a Christian if you're a Muslim is a crime if committed in Sudan. And yes they too have a procedure for that. It's called stoning.

....Look, I'm often unhappy with lax sentencing on violent crimes here, but sometimes in the US, particularly further south, the sentencing seems extraordinarily vindictive, even vicious, and way out of proportion to any actual damage the individual caused to anyone.

So what ? There are laws in Canada that are stupendously stupid (e.g. language, hate speech) with matching penalties. What "damage" is caused by such infractions ? Should the U.S. grant asylum to these Canadian "victims" ?

And marrying a Christian if you're a Muslim is a crime if committed in Sudan. And yes they too have a procedure for that. It's called stoning.

In Canada, you can get five years for polygamy, even for consenting adults (violating Charter Rights):

Section 293 of the Criminal Code of Canada says:

1. Every one who

whether or not it is by law recognized as a binding form of marriage, or

1. practices or enters into or in any manner agrees or consents to practise or enter into

1. any form of polygamy, or

2. any kind of conjugal union with more than one person at the same time,

2. celebrates, assists or is a party to a rite, ceremony, contract or consent that purports to sanction a relationship mentioned in subparagraph (a)(i) or (ii)

2. Where an accused is charged with an offence under this section, no averment or proof of the method by which the alleged relationship was entered into, agreed to or consented to is necessary in the indictment or on the trial of the accused, nor is it necessary on the trial to prove that the persons who are alleged to have entered into the relationship had or intended to have sexual intercourse.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

So what ? There are laws in Canada that are stupendously stupid (e.g. language, hate speech) with matching penalties. What "damage" is caused by such infractions ? Should the U.S. grant asylum to these Canadian "victims" ?

You can't get more stupendously stupid than putting someone in jail for 30 years for consensual sex between two adults, as defined by Canadian law. Why can't you guys get the churches head out of the courts arse and separate church and state.

You can't get more stupendously stupid than putting someone in jail for 30 years for consensual sex between two adults, as defined by Canadian law. Why can't you guys get the churches head out of the courts arse and separate church and state.

Same reason you can't stop funding Catholic and Protestant schools in several provinces. It may come as a surprise to you that "Canadian Law" doesn't mean jack outside of Canada. Canadian double murderer R. Smith thinks "Canadian Law" should apply in Montana...why ? Are Canadian murderers special ?

U.S. Defense Attorney: "Your honor, it has come to our attention that the convicted defendant is Canadian. Accordingly, we move that his sentence be limited to time served with no possibility for a death sentence".

U.S. Judge: "Oh...I see...the defendant is Canadian. In that case, we must defer to Canadian Law and slap his wrists".

Edited by bush_cheney2004

U.S. Judge: "Oh...I see...the defendant is Canadian. In that case, we must defer to Canadian Law and slap his wrists".

I would think that the US judge would order a drone strike somewhere in Canada before he ever considered the laws in any other country. That would be more in line with the country with the highest incarceration rates in the world!

If it drives you nuts that an American would be treated as an refugee in Canada and granted asylum, then we must be doing something right.

WWWTT