Boeing 777 Disappears Near Vietnam

Big Guy

As I understand it, the radar system in that part of the world is terribly lacking so anything is plausible but according to Malaysia, they were able to determine through analysis that it did in fact fly around Indonesia, but they have reported incorrect information in the past as well. It will definitely have an impact on passengers flying in and out of Malaysia for quite sometime, I bet.

But again my question is why did it take 4 weeks to figure that out? Radar is radar. It's no different than you taking out your cell phone camera let's say, and recording a cute video of you kids or some such. It's there immediately and of course replayable. Possibly the military doesn't wish to reveal when their radar is on, but I don't know why. I don't know if you are familiar with the DEWLINE here in Canada, but that's about as miliary a radar as you will ever find, and it's on all the time. If it wasn't I got hauled out of bed at 3 am. So I don't see why all the secrecy that seems to emit from this thing.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly the military doesn't wish to reveal when their radar is on, but I don't know why. So I don't see why all the secrecy that seems to emit from this thing.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Secrecy. They are keeping back information, I have no doubt about that. Was it just a coincidence they found those pings in the Indian Ocean??

Possibly the military doesn't wish to reveal when their radar is on, but I don't know why. I don't know if you are familiar with the DEWLINE here in Canada, but that's about as miliary a radar as you will ever find, and it's on all the time. If it wasn't I got hauled out of bed at 3 am. So I don't see why all the secrecy that seems to emit from this thing.

I don't think that secrecy is the thing that is holding them back.

This entire incident must be seriously having a tremendous impact on their tourism industry.

http://ri.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVkBfWkpTrQwAXvIXFwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMG04Z2o2BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--/RV=2/RE=1397410527/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fen.wikipedia.org%2fwiki%2fTourism_in_Malaysia/RK=0/RS=J7FXZ5g6fv9pTnsGZmG6ELncG_o-

As you can see from the link, tourism is being pushed heavily by the government, you would think that encouraging reassuring safe flight to Malaysia would be at the top of the list. Not to mention the geography of the country.

WWWTT

Here's another link I found that the plane and all aboard are in Afghanistan near the Pakistani border.

http://www.canalina.com/malaysian-plane-found-near-kandahar-passengers-alive

Take it for what it is.

WWWTT

It's hilarious. I must give credit to the conspiracy theorists for their imaginations, however implausable.

It's hilarious. I must give credit to the conspiracy theorists for their imaginations, however implausable.

Like I said before, it would be nice if everyone on board the plane was safe. The link I provided claims that this is the case.

This is just one of many theories out there!

I'm not ridiculing anyone's opinion here.

I personally feel that it is a poor debate tactic to ridicule different ideas being forwarded.

WWWTT

Like I said before, it would be nice if everyone on board the plane was safe. The link I provided claims that this is the case.

This is just one of many theories out there!

I'm not ridiculing anyone's opinion here.

I personally feel that it is a poor debate tactic to ridicule different ideas being forwarded.

WWWTT

Nor am I trying to ridicule anyone. What I do find annoying though with a lot of conspiracy theorists is they often don't do their homework and can therefore lead people down the garden path. A good example that comes to mind is back in 9/11 days a story got going that the towers shouldn't have collapsed because a plane flew into them as they are designed to withstand that and therefore there must be some sisnister plot at work. Well, the buildings were designed to have a plane hit them...at 250 kts. which is the max. allowable speed at that altitude and that proximity to an airport. Not a over 500 kts. which is what those planes were doing on impact. Apparently the hijackers hadn't got to that part of air regs in their training yet.

Apparently the co-pilot tried to get a signal with his cell phone shortly before or after the transponder went off.

Ya that was in one of the links I provided.

It sounds like he turned on his phone. But not sure what that could mean exactly. Was he just checking data on it and not bothered to switch to flight mode, or was he actually trying to make a call?

WWWTT

Ya that was in one of the links I provided.

It sounds like he turned on his phone. But not sure what that could mean exactly. Was he just checking data on it and not bothered to switch to flight mode, or was he actually trying to make a call?

WWWTT

It's curious that it happened right around the time the transponder went offline.

They won't find a damn thing.

They haven't yet, so I think the odds are in your favour.

Not to mention how many times and how far the search area has changed then moved!

All they're going on is some "pings" they picked up that "may" be something. Doesn't sound very re assuring it's anything at all other than an exercise.

But who knows, lots of media coverage. Maybe the media coverage in China is a good way for the government there to show how much they care about their citizens. And Australia is so dependant on air travel that they have to put up a real good show to demonstrate that they're on top of everything to do with search and rescue.

WWWTT

Apparently the co-pilot tried to get a signal with his cell phone shortly before or after the transponder went off.

It seems all that hapenned with the co-jo's phone was that it got within range of a tower somewhere on The Malay peninsula one would assume. But he never tried to make a call. At least that's the latest report Iam hearing.

When I said the geographers were watching this closely, I meant that they were interested in the actually mapping of the ocean floor, especially in the Indian Ocean.

That was the impression that I got from your comment.

This search is probably more of just an exercise at this point. For training and research.

The three main countries involved now Malaysia, China and Australia (probably more) want to maintain a strong presence in the area and this search works into that.

I agree with GH, don't expect anything solid to materialize.

WWWTT

...This search is probably more of just an exercise at this point. For training and research.

There have long been military reasons to map the ocean floor completely unrelated to the search for MH370. Any such data from military mappings and sonar scans or separate academic research could serve as a baseline to detect changes indicating a new debris field.

There have long been military reasons to map the ocean floor completely unrelated to the search for MH370. Any such data from military mappings and sonar scans or separate academic research could serve as a baseline to detect changes indicating a new debris field.

Are you suggesting, the data collected now could be used in future searches?

WWWTT

Are you suggesting, the data collected now could be used in future searches?

Any existing high to medium resolution sonar scans and other mappings would be helpful now and in the future. But the number of downed aircraft in this circumstance is very small.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

If anyone was watching the CNN coverage of this story and followed Martin Savidge and Mitchell in the Flight Simulator at the Mississauga airport, this is interesting. Mitchell was fired after CNN left because Mitchell disgraced Canadians because of his attire and showing up late for work. From what I saw, his attire looked fine to me. That's the Canadian way, shorts and sandals!

uFly fires flight instructor