Huffington Post Comments Are Now Real Names Only

Remiel

Things like this may keep me posting here where otherwise I may be inclined to quit. I like being able to post speculative opinions and that is just not as easy when everyone knows who you are. You would think that people would get that given the longstanding institution of the secret ballot. You guys all know I can be an asshole from time to time but I think I keep it reasonably clean. I would not be surprised if much of the behaviour they hope to stop is not actually prevented because what many people assume to be their untouchability is not in fact based on anonymity. The more or less civilized people with unpopular opinions will be the most dissuaded.

I like being able to post speculative opinions and that is just not as easy when everyone knows who you are.

What is more worrisome is the requirement for a facebook account (something I refuse to create - even under a fake name).

That said, there are plenty of news sites and no one is required to post on Huffington Post so market forces will decide if people like you are in the majority.

These are measures to try and minimize trolling.

Or censorship. Look at the Google+ with Youtube move recently.

One thing to notice is a company called 'Disqus'. Many news sites use this commenting system which is a 3rd party and not part of the site aside from a plug in. All data is owned and transferred to the site by Disqus.

And I will not use Facebook. I refuse to use it.

Disqus is like a virus.

I would bet there are other comment system plug ins that can be used. There has been a gradual move by online entities towards an online ID. Google+ is essentially that and forcing you to use it with Youtube. Otherwise you cannot post comments of have comments on your vids. Disqus also has a single sign on option, where you can sign in once and then be able to access many sites with the Disqus commenting system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disqus

Wow check this out....

Growth

In November 2010, shortly after celebrating its third anniversary, Disqus announced hitting 200 million unique visitors/month. Seven months later in May 2011, Disqus announced approaching 500 million unique visitors/month, in addition to consistent 500% traffic, user, and community growth for the previous year, bringing its total counts to about 750,000 websites and 50 million registered users[3][5]

According to a March 2011 study by Lijit, Disqus is used by 75% of websites who use a third party commenting or discussion system.

There is only one cloud system I use regularly and that is Steam.

I am less worried about individual systems like steam. Steam is obviously compiling information about my game usage and using it for marketing but Steam is not able to link that to my Amazon purchases or Netflix viewing habits. IOW - I am control of the information the collect about me. Sites like Discus or Facebook or Google attempt to collate information from many different sources and it is not clear to me when they are collecting information.

I am less worried about individual systems like steam. Steam is obviously compiling information about my game usage and using it for marketing but Steam is not able to link that to my Amazon purchases or Netflix viewing habits. IOW - I am control of the information the collect about me. Sites like Discus or Facebook or Google attempt to collate information from many different sources and it is not clear to me when they are collecting information.

Steam (at least back in my counter strike days) was an app you download and install locally. If thats still the case then they have access to everything on your computer if they want it.

Edited by dre

What about this site? It uses Gravatar. Like Disqus but for avatars.

What this also means is there is record of all the sites you visit in one place.

I didn't realize that, will no longer use it.

I doubt Huff Po or any other media outlet has the time or means to confirm real identities, it won't stop people from using an alias. Anyone can open a F/B account under any name they choose as long as the email is verified so how does Huff Po plan to verify it's not your dead dog or ?

In writing a letter to the editor of a newspaper in the US, you must use your real name, address and phone number, only your name and city is published. Why should HuffPo be any different?

Because comments are not letters to the editor, even though they may sometimes be similar. Also, newspapers have limited space, a problem Huffington Post does not. That means people who cannot supply their name are easily weeded out by time conscious editors.

Yahoo shut down their message boards completely when they were faced with a lawsuit because of what anonymous posters said. Below is the link to the story of the lawsuit but I remember this, the boards ended shortly after:

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1023-215292.html

Maybe huffpo is also thinking in terms of legal liability as well.

A big difference is that tyranny of government maintains power while using censorship whereas Yahoo (and now HuffPo) actually sabotaged their revenue stream by making changes to protect themselves. So while the outcome is the same, the cause is not.

Edited by BC_chick

A big difference is that tyranny of government maintains power while using censorship whereas Yahoo (and now HuffPo) actually sabotaged their revenue stream by making changes to protect themselves. So while the outcome is the same, the cause is not.

You think absences of trolls that say offensive crap because they are A-holes affect a news websites revenue stream?

Edited by Boges