Lesbian Haunted House In Toronto

This is something that I find interesting on a number of levels. The first of course would be that this was funded with taxpayers money, both Provincial and Federal. Given that we are taxed exorbitantly it seems that this is nothing but a waste of said money. Recently a woman with brain cancer has been denied access to a drug that would prolong her life and allow her more time with her family. Yet we can spend money on trash such as this display of so called art. The next thing that I find interesting is the display itself. Images and representations of severed male genitalia amongst others. If the reverse were displayed, severed breasts and vaginas I image there would be a huge backlash about it. Also, although funded with taxpayer money reporters from the Sun were denied access to the exhibit. As this is publicly funded should not everyone be granted access? Also one has to wonder if this could possibly be illegal under current hate legislation.

Really if you think about it you can only come to the conclusion that something is very seriously wrong with the entire political apparatus on both the Provincial and Federal levels in this country. From what I've seen I can only conclude that there really isn't much difference between politicians of any party, they all appear to be corrupt and self serving.

Anyway, here's a link to the story.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/10/30/taxpayers-funding-lesbian-haunted-house-in-toronto

Edited by AngusThermopyle

Guest American Woman

I found an article that tells about the haunted house and explains what's going on within it. For example, the "ball busting room" isn't really about busting men's balls but rather in relation to the stereotype of lesbians as ball busters. My initial reaction to your OP was to agree with it completely, but I think the Sun article may have put some of the displays in the wrong context. Anyway, I'd be interested in your reaction to the article.

http://bitchmagazine.org/post/i-explored-torontos-lesbian-feminist-haunted-house%E2%80%94and-survived

This is something that I find interesting on a number of levels. The first of course would be that this was funded with taxpayers money, both Provincial and Federal. Given that we are taxed exorbitantly it seems that this is nothing but a waste of said money.

The government doesn't fund individual projects directly, it's arms' length funding as it should be. Nobody is creating a large list of items and prioritizing it.

The amount of money allocated to support the arts is a pretty small fraction of health care funding as far as I know.

If the reverse were displayed, severed breasts and vaginas I image there would be a huge backlash about it. Also, although funded with taxpayer money reporters from the Sun were denied access to the exhibit. As this is publicly funded should not everyone be granted access? Also one has to wonder if this could possibly be illegal under current hate legislation.

Yes, in the real world context means something. If there were pictures of bankers in suits in chains, would that be just as discriminatory as showing black people in chains ? Of course not - because of context.

One presumes that the people who run the exhibit reserve the right to refuse entry, and that's what they did.

Really if you think about it you can only come to the conclusion that something is very seriously wrong with the entire political apparatus on both the Provincial and Federal levels in this country. From what I've seen I can only conclude that there really isn't much difference between politicians of any party, they all appear to be corrupt and self serving.

That's rather a large conclusion to jump to, given the tiny impact of this story - even if you try to say that this incident isn't just an attempt to enrage the average Sun reader. A provocative art piece that provokes is achieving its goal - the Sun should be happy that taxpayers are getting their money's worth.

I found an article that tells about the haunted house and explains what's going on within it. For example, the "ball busting room" isn't really about busting men's balls but rather in relation to the stereotype of lesbians as ball busters. My initial reaction to your OP was to agree with it completely, but I think the Sun article may have put some of the displays in the wrong context. Anyway, I'd be interested in your reaction to the article.

http://bitchmagazine.org/post/i-explored-torontos-lesbian-feminist-haunted-house%E2%80%94and-survived

Yeah I was going to agree with the OP article but then read your article, which gives a far more detailed account of the haunted house (pictures included!). The project looks more satirical than the Sun article claims. I don't think the Sun journalists really "got" some of what the artist was trying to do.

Serves me right for believing a Sun article at its face. I like the alternative and conservative viewpoints the Sun offers, but you really have to double-check the facts in much of their reporting.

Yeah I was going to agree with the OP article but then read your article, which gives a far more detailed account of the haunted house (pictures included!). The project looks more satirical than the Sun article claims. I don't think the Sun journalists really "got" some of what the artist was trying to do.

I read both articles. What a waste of time and money. And I can't believe anyone but the already indoctrinated would do more than shake their heads sadly and walk on by. It seems to me that all they're doing is reinforcing the stereotype of lesbian feminists being utterly humourless man haters.