SpaceX is actually building the Hyperloop test track outside of it's California headquarters. The possibility of emission free, solar powered, high speed transit is exciting. A high speed people mover coupled with local transit and electric car share programs will be a major step forward, but I think the cargo loop will be the real game changer.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/its-official-spacex-is-building-elon-musks-hyperloop

Edited by Mighty AC

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if its dumb but I'm pretty sure the claustrophobia factor will deter passenger use unless they can make the things roomier. I know I'll drive long before I fly for the same reason.

Millions of people already fly so I don't see that as a big deterrent. I suspect windows will be replaced by LCD screens to give the illusion of space. Here are some concept cabin layouts put out by an Austin based firm. http://www.businessinsider.com/a-hyperloop-pod-design-that-makes-travel-comfortable-2015-6

Because there's no way this new, unproven technology that requires a massive infrastructure investment will come close to being as cost effective as HSR.

We will need more information as the technology is tested and evolves, but Musk has predicted a hyperloop could be built in California for only 10% of the cost of that high speed rail project. The 'Hyperloop' Would Be 10 Times Cheaper Than High-Speed Rail

The possibility of faster, cheaper, cleaner and safer high speed transit is exciting. It's nice to see it moving forward.

Edited by Mighty AC

We will need more information as the technology is tested and evolves, but Musk has predicted a hyperloop could be built in California for only 10% of the cost of that high speed rail project. The 'Hyperloop' Would Be 10 Times Cheaper Than High-Speed Rail

Yeah. And that number is completely made up. For example: the route would have to pass over or under San Francisco Bay. A tunnel or bridge there is likely to cost several billion all on their own.

Then there's other project details, like stations (is it only going to go from SF to the outskirts of LA without any stops in between?If so, are those factored into the cost/time estimates?) capacity (how many people will this carry compared to HSR?) and so on.

Here's a good and comprehensive demolition of this pie in the sky idea.

The cost to *build* something is tiny compared to the cost to comply with regulations, compensate/negotiate with businesses/landowners/governments on the land in question, perform environmental assessments, satisfy various interest groups, etc.

So yes, building any major new infrastructure is pretty close to impossible until the need for it is absolutely overwhelming... and even then, it's a tossup on whether the obstacles can be overcome or not. In many cases, critical infrastructure simply cannot be built under any circumstance due to the mountains of obstacles in the way of doing so.

For example, if the interstate system in the US didn't already exist, there is absolutely no way in hell it could be built today. Any proposal on that scale would be ridiculed and summarily ignored.

Edited by Bonam