Python kills children in New Brunswick

Boges

Guest American Woman

I'm not sure if you are referring to a different post of his. This is the one I was referring to:

I'm reading it as people being criminally responsible for their possessions.

This is the one that cybercoma appears to have been responding to as his response directly follows it, and the one I quoted from:

They should just make people fully responsible for the objects in their posession. If you snake escapes and kills someone? Murder charge. If you allow your gun to be stolen and it kills someone? Murder charge. If your pitbull kills someone? Murder charge.

He's saying we should all be responsible for our possessions, even if someone steals them. He's saying if someone steals your gun and kills someone, you should be charged with murder. By that reasoning, if someone stole your car and hit and killed someone, you should be charged with manslaughter.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I see. Yes, 'allow' something to be stolen complicates things, doesn't it?

Well, I don't know what he meant by that, but I agree with his first post... the one I quoted. People should be criminally responsible for their pets/other possessions the same way they are for their vehicles.

Oh, I see. Yes, 'allow' something to be stolen complicates things, doesn't it?

Well, I don't know what he meant by that, but I agree with his first post... the one I quoted. People should be criminally responsible for their pets/other possessions the same way they are for their vehicles.

What makes you think that they're not already?

This was a fail on the part of the snake owner on multiple levels. First of all the snake was to large to be owned in a private residence. The fact he had it in a private residence that was near other occupants was also idiotic behaviour. And the final example of fail was not securing the snake. It escaped somehow, apparently more than once.

If he isn't charged with negligent homicide, I'd be shocked.

What makes you think that they're not already?

As far as I know (and maybe I'm wrong) I thought liability for a pet is civil, not criminal. Where I was agreeing with dre was about pet-owners being criminally responsible as well. I'm not sure I'd go as far as the charge of murder (as he did), but at least manslaughter.

It would make people think twice about having dangerous pets and how they (lack) care for them.

Edited by BC_chick

Guest American Woman

Murder is intentional, so a murder charge would never apply, and I have to wonder about manslaughter - doesn't the person have to be directly involved in the death in some way? For example, if you lend your car to someone who has been drinking and they kill someone, to my knowledge, you can't be charged with manslaughter - but they most certainly can. What about reckless endangerment? Seems to me that would apply. I have to say, I'm really surprised that there haven't been any charges brought against the pet owner.

Murder is intentional, so a murder charge would never apply, and I have to wonder about manslaughter - doesn't the person have to be directly involved in the death in some way? For example, if you lend your car to someone who has been drinking and they kill someone, to my knowledge, you can't be charged with manslaughter - but they most certainly can. What about reckless endangerment? Seems to me that would apply. I have to say, I'm really surprised that there haven't been any charges brought against the pet owner.

Well the news out now is that the police are investigating the chance that this was actually murder. I guess it's weird the snake didn't bit first.

I don't know what's more unbelievable, a snake silently kills two boys in their sleep or someone kills them thinking they can make it look like a snake did it.

That's something you'd see on an episode of CSI.

Guest American Woman

Well the news out now is that the police are investigating the chance that this was actually murder. I guess it's weird the snake didn't bit first.

Is it out on any reputable media sites? I'm really not seeing that. Do Pythons usually bite first? I've read that the snake, having fallen, could very well have wrapped itself around the boys trying to secure itself to what it fell on. I can see where a snake that size could squeeze the breath out of two little boys. I've also read that this isn't the first time that the snake has escaped, and the owner failed to make the necessary adjustments on the cage.

I don't know what's more unbelievable, a snake silently kills two boys in their sleep or someone kills them thinking they can make it look like a snake did it.

I think the latter is definitely more unbelievable, but then, there are all kinds of people in this world. I just can't imagine what the motive would be.

That's something you'd see on an episode of CSI.

It's not clear whether they're investigating this as a murder in the sense that they think someone physically killed the boys themselves or whether it's investigated as a murder in the sense that it's negligence causing death. We'll see.

I see your point. The car doesn't act on its own the same way a pet does, but that's the grey area that I find troublesome. The dangerous pet would not be in society without the owner the same way the car would not be driving itself without the driver.

So in a sense there is direct involvement on the part of the owner even if the animal acts on its own accord.

And agreed on the last part. I can't believe no charges have been laid yet given that it has been established that the snake was illegal and not properly cared for. That's at least negligence.

ETA - as for murder, as I said in my earlier post, I agree that it would not be a fitting charge.

Edited by BC_chick

I wonder how many kids have been attacked by dogs since this story broke? Notwithstanding the sheer sadness to the story there is a certain element of media generated mass hysteria going on here that shouldn't be overlooked.

I wonder how many would have died if every other home had a 14 foot python in it like they do with dogs.

It's a false comparison.

Even if the snake didn't kill these kids, there no reason to own such an animal.

Edited by Boges

Guest Derek L

I wonder how many kids have been attacked by dogs since this story broke? Notwithstanding the sheer sadness to the story there is a certain element of media generated mass hysteria going on here that shouldn't be overlooked.

Point-set-match.........And welcome back!!

Guest Derek L

The media reported a story about 2 young boys suddenly dying allegedly from a snake that was illegally owned in an adjacent apartment?

SHOCKING!!!!

Didn't you say above:

I don't know what's more unbelievable, a snake silently kills two boys in their sleep or someone kills them thinking they can make it look like a snake did it

Quick let's ban snakes.......and now people that kill children and make it look like a snake did it......

Quick let's ban snakes.......and now people that kill children and make it look like a snake did it......

Had this story not happened it would still be my opinion people shouldn't own such snakes. This story just gave me a reason to put forth my opinion on the matter.

Remember this snake was illegal to own in a private residence.

Guest Derek L

Had this story not happened it would still be my opinion people shouldn't own such snakes. This story just gave me a reason to put forth my opinion on the matter.

Remember this snake was illegal to own in a private residence.

Prior to this story, aside from wild rattlesnakes here in BC, have any Canadians ever been hurt by a pet snake?

Guest American Woman

What about the exotic animals themselves, being forced into captivity?

It’s estimated that 12 million exotic animals are traded every year around the world. Many are plucked directly from the wild. An estimated 90 per cent die within the first two years of captivity.

“I think it’s important to remember that while there are human victims of attacks like this…there are also millions and millions of animal victims,

http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2013/08/08/constricting-snakes-have-killed-19-injured-more/

What about the exotic animals themselves, being forced into captivity?

Its estimated that 12 million exotic animals are traded every year around the world. Many are plucked directly from the wild. An estimated 90 per cent die within the first two years of captivity.

I think its important to remember that while there are human victims of attacks like thisthere are also millions and millions of animal victims,

http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2013/08/08/constricting-snakes-have-killed-19-injured-more/

Good point. It's like wanting to own a Tiger. These aren't dogs they are wild animals and keeping them in an inclosure in an apartment is, quite frankly, cruel.