Canadian Political Prisoner Returning home from Wrongful Incarceration

The only reason there's laws against growing tobacco at home is because the governments are in the pockets of Big Tobacco.

Cite?

Tobacco is this very highly regulated with huge amounts of taxes and controls on how it can be displayed in stores. Packaging has to have graphic warning labels and consumption in indoor public places have been effectively banned. I'm sure Big Tobacco don't support these measures.

Edited by Boges

The activist in the article also claims....

Yeah, activists don't typically have any agenda at all.

The activist in the article also claims that since Harper took power there have been double the amount of charges for possession. I don't know if he is correct, but any charges at all does not seem like defacto decriminalization to me...

I doubt Harper has much control over what charges the courts are pursuing in BC. Or is this guy suggesting that Harper is going around personally laying possession charges in BC? I would have to see something a bit more solid than some pot activists claim. At any rate, even if it were true there could be any number of factors contributing to a possible rise in possession charges unrelated Harper being in power.

Yeah, activists don't typically have any agenda at all.

I doubt Harper has much control over what charges the courts are pursuing in BC. Or is this guy suggesting that Harper is going around personally laying possession charges in BC? I would have to see something a bit more solid than some pot activists claim. At any rate, even if it were true there could be any number of factors contributing to a possible rise in possession charges unrelated Harper being in power.

Yes, he thinks Harper is out arresting people.... :rolleyes:

Government policy affects policing priorities. It's not that difficult to figure out.

Pot isn't a crime, whether its illegal or not. If its illegal than we live under a tyranny.

It's illegal because that's what our democratic representatives have made the law. We don't live under tyranny, we live under the rule of law. You don't get to break the laws you don't like, or call them "tyranny".

Anyways, yes he should have come home much sooner. No Canadian citizen (unless a dual-citizen) should be in any foreign jail for a prolonged period. Vic Toews is disgrace, good riddance.

Yeah but let's say I want to produce my own whisky and sell it to people out of my garage and not charge taxes. That legal?

Is it legal to grow your own tobacco roll your own cigars and set up a stand and sell them to people?

Yup you just need license.

It's illegal because that's what our democratic representatives have made the law. We don't live under tyranny, we live under the rule of law. You don't get to break the laws you don't like, or call them "tyranny".

Anyways, yes he should have come home much sooner. No Canadian citizen (unless a dual-citizen) should be in any foreign jail for a prolonged period. Vic Toews is disgrace, good riddance.

The problem is that Canadians have polled in favor of either legalization or decriminalization since the 70's. The government just ignores what we want... so its not accurate to attribute prohibition to democracy.

The problem is that Canadians have polled in favor of either legalization or decriminalization since the 70's. The government just ignores what we want... so its not accurate to attribute prohibition to democracy.

I'll bet the age groups that make up the bulk of the those who wish marijuana legalized/decriminalized are the same age groups that tend to always vote in the lowest numbers come election time.

I'll bet the age groups that make up the bulk of the those who wish marijuana legalized/decriminalized are the same age groups that tend to always vote in the lowest numbers come election time.

No its a rather large majority actually. The problem is that the mainstream parties favor the status quo... so if a voter wants to make that a core issue they have to vote for some fringe party.

The other problem is that theres a substantial part of our economy that is based on criminalizing non-criminals. Police, trial lawyers, pharmy companies, alcohol companies, etc etc, all favor the status quo.

There is actually a proposition circulating now... of course the legislature might just ignore the petition but it is I think finally coming to light from Dana Larson to alter the administration of simple possession so that simple possesion not be enforced in BC.

This is quite a bit like what happened with Washington State, and Colorado and perhaps some others.]

Considering the US is less pro pot than Canada it is suprising to see that the US is leading Canada in some respects in legalization

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cannabis_by_US_state

Perhaps Marc has an aura.

This would be like half of BC being legalized in Canada right now in terms of legalization advance.

Isn't it ironic ... the US has laxer treatment than Canada by constituent units...

Perhaps marc gave some magic beans to America..

I could see this as a Childrens book years from now, Marc and the Magic Seed Stock.

Edited by AlienB