Should Prostitution Be Legal

MadX

Yes, legalize and regulate. You don't have to force medical checkups or anything, but once it's all legal, your typical customer will want to go to a provider that is considered safe, and that provider will have certifications of medical checkups, online reviews saying they adequately provided for privacy/convenience/etc.

Ixnay on regulations. The government has no place regulating the bedrooms of consenting adults.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that prostitutes probably should get checkups. What I don't agree with is govt mandated checkups. It should be their own decision.

The government regulates all other industries, what would make this one any different? If this was turned into a taxable legal business then that would be part of the requirements.

Having an STD and working in an illegal sex trade puts a lot more people at risk than a legally monitored sex industry. Even in a legal setting the STDs pose a serious risk to future patrons. Make it legal and check ups mandatory.

Because you're looking at it wrong. It's not an "industry", it's people's sex lives which should be entirely personal. If someone's reason for having sex with you is a wad of cash or your sense of humour, I see little difference. It's not like selling cars.

Ad as far as STDs goes, that's a risk you take having sex with anyone. Married people get them when their partners cheat on the, even. There's ways to protect yourself and that's a personal responsibility. Those that infect others with STDs knowingly are already committing a crime. It would be no different with legal and unregulated prostitution. Looked at another way, the prostitutes would have to pickup the diseases somewhere, they don't just make the themselves. Why not make mandatory STD tests for Johns? How about all single and sexually active people? Why just prostitutes?

Edited by cybercoma

. Why not make mandatory STD tests for Johns? How about all single and sexually active people? Why just prostitutes?

Good point. If you legalize prostitution make it mandatory for customers to also adhere to the same regulations. In order to accomplish this, anonymity would be compromised, hence the reason "fair" legalization would be hard to pass..

Yes, legalize and regulate. You don't have to force medical checkups or anything, but once it's all legal, your typical customer will want to go to a provider that is considered safe, and that provider will have certifications of medical checkups, online reviews saying they adequately provided for privacy/convenience/etc.

Exactly, It seems like almost everyone on here supports legalization. Think of all the tax revenue, reductions in violence, and sex for low status men, this is a win-win situation for everybody. I'm not saying brothels should be open next to schools or churches, they could be zoned to only exist in certain parts of a town or city or in rural areas. Why aren't brothels legal? This country doesn't make any sense.

If it's regulated there will still be a black market because women will want to remain anonymous. It needs to be completely unregulated or you're going to solve very few problems. You'll give the appearance of it being out in the open and controlled, while the black market for prostitution will still be there along with all the problems that we're supposedly trying to solve.

If it's regulated there will still be a black market because women will want to remain anonymous. It needs to be completely unregulated or you're going to solve very few problems. You'll give the appearance of it being out in the open and controlled, while the black market for prostitution will still be there along with all the problems that we're supposedly trying to solve.

It may still be there cybercoma but I think the black market will be greatly reduced. I think most women would prefer to work in a brothel inside thats warm, safe, and clean as opposed to walking the streets where it is more dangerous and not as sanitary. I think most guys would prefer going to a clean cathouse versus taking their chances with someone working the street.

Because you're looking at it wrong. It's not an "industry", it's people's sex lives which should be entirely personal. If someone's reason for having sex with you is a wad of cash or your sense of humour, I see little difference. It's not like selling cars.

This is an absurd argument. It's not 'people's sex lives' it's a taxable business where prices and services are negotiated and exchanged. To say it's not a business is like saying photography is not a business because people take pictures, or restaurants aren't businesses because everyone has a kitchen and makes food. Sure they do, and we don't regulate how you cook at home, but we do regulate how you cook for lots and lots of other people because there is a public health concern involved.

If prostitution is legal, what about the laws on strip clubs? How do we legalize prostitution and still make it illegal for men to touch strippers (provided the strippers consent)? For that matter, should the strippers be allowed to have sex with their clients in those 'champagne' rooms?

It already is, as long as you don't give her money directly, but buy her drinks at a club instead, then have your one night stand. At least then she's protected by the justice system if you assault her in any way.

You do realize how breathtakingly sexist, if not actually misogynistic that is, right?

I like how you compare all of these public things to a personal decision between two people about whether or not they want to have sex with each other. I see no difference whatsoever between choosing to have sex with someone because they buy you things, give you money, you like their personality, or you find them sexually attractive. My argument is only absurd to you because you don't agree with it. What I think is absurd is wanting the government in people's bedrooms, regulating when, where, why, and how they have sex. If you're so concerned with "public health," then why not advocate for people to report to the government how many sexual partner they have in a year. That way you can have all the really promiscuous people tested, whether they're prostitutes or not. It's a public health concern after all. I'm not really sure how you can arguing that exchanging money is any different.

You do realize how breathtakingly sexist, if not actually misogynistic that is, right?

Yes. Let's pretend that this never happens. I realize it's sexist and misogynistic, yes. I also realize that this does happen on a regular basis or have you never been through college?

If it's regulated there will still be a black market because women will want to remain anonymous.

However this would bring the majority of women who want to be in this will continue to do so. Right now many prostitutes are forced into this line of work. Some will want to remain anonymous no matter what the outcome would be.

A black market exists regardless of any legal framework allowing a legal market to exist.

However this would bring the majority of women who want to be in this will continue to do so. Right now many prostitutes are forced into this line of work. Some will want to remain anonymous no matter what the outcome would be.

A black market exists regardless of any legal framework allowing a legal market to exist.

The ironic thing is that it will make the market safer for foreign women that are brought here, have no family, etc. They wouldn't be as concerned about their anonymity because they don't know anyone here anyway. Who this would be unsafe for are the women that do this, but have other jobs, family, friends, and ties to the community. Perhaps they do this on the side or only occasionally for extra money. Many prostitutes only take on a select number of clients and maybe work a few times a month. I think people think of sex work and have this image in their mind of these women lining up 8 Johns a night for 7 days a week. In actual fact, there are very few sex workers that do this unless they want to (or are being forced into it on the black market). The vast majority of prostitution isn't anything like you would imagine.

Yes. Let's pretend that this never happens. I realize it's sexist and misogynistic, yes. I also realize that this does happen on a regular basis or have you never been through college?

I never met a woman who would have sex with someone just because he bought them drinks and a movie, but then I didn't know a lot of women that desperate or poor. Maybe you went to a different college.

I like how you compare all of these public things to a personal decision between two people about whether or not they want to have sex with each other. I see no difference whatsoever between choosing to have sex with someone because they buy you things, give you money, you like their personality, or you find them sexually attractive.

As I said, it's a private decision to make someone dinner, too. So why does the government regulate restaurants? Because when you're making dinner for a lot of people, and doing it all the time, there's a public health issue at stake. The same goes for prostitution.

Because making dinner and having sex aren't the same thing. No one is shamed about making dinner for people. There's no taboos around making dinner for someone other than your family. And people don't get beaten and abused for making dinner for people. I'm sorry that you think someone's sex life and cooking dinner for people are the same thing, but they're not.

I was wondering if Canada should legalize, tax, and regulate prostitution like what is done in Nevada and the Netherlands. Personally, I'm totally for it. It will increase tax revenue, reduce violence against sex workers, cut down on STDs because the prostitutes will get medical attention, and guys with no social skills or athletic ability will be able to get laid. Guys like Robert Pickton wouldn't be able to as easily prey on sex workers and violent pimps would be eliminated. I can't see any arguments against legalization. It may not be the most moral thing in the world, going to a prostitute but is prostitution really much different than dating, it just usually takes place more quickly and is more honest.

I find it curious that you keep bringing up "socially-awkward men" into this. I mean you can always throw all kinds men into it, men with little time, men with wives who don't have sex with them, men with small penises etc etc.

While these issues do make a compelling argument for the law of demand within the industry, I don't really see how that's relevant to the topic of legalization.

All those men can 'get laid' via prostitutes under existing laws.

Because making dinner and having sex aren't the same thing. No one is shamed about making dinner for people. There's no taboos around making dinner for someone other than your family. And people don't get beaten and abused for making dinner for people. I'm sorry that you think someone's sex life and cooking dinner for people are the same thing, but they're not.

I'm sorry you think having sex is such a shaming experience.

But shame is irrelevant to public health. Prostitution, if it ever were legalized beyond it's current state, should be regulated for that reason alone.

This is an absurd argument. It's not 'people's sex lives' it's a taxable business where prices and services are negotiated and exchanged. To say it's not a business is like saying photography is not a business because people take pictures, or restaurants aren't businesses because everyone has a kitchen and makes food. Sure they do, and we don't regulate how you cook at home, but we do regulate how you cook for lots and lots of other people because there is a public health concern involved.

Sorry, prostitution is not a business like a restaurant.

Sweden has abolished prostitution by making male clients liable for an offense. In Sweden, the State prosecutes the clients, not the prostitutes.

Prostitution in Sweden