question about French spoken in Canada

I'm an American busy learning to speak French. I study the language every day via books, audio materials, and software. I also practice speaking it with a Skype partner from France. All my study materials are based on Parisian French. However, I hear that at least for written word, the Parisian and the Canadian dialects are mostly the same. On the other hand, I'm told that the accents are quite different to the point where sometimes a Québécois may have a difficult time being understood in France.

It's important for my French to be useful in multiple countries, not just in France. I've therefore been watching French movies from multiple countries: France, Belgium, Switzerland, and Canada. The Canadian movies I've seen have all been Québec ones. I'll also soon be hooking my laptop up to my TV to watch Québec based news on a regular basis. Is that sufficient or is the French spoken by people not from Québec significantly different? The English spoken by someone from New York is way, way different, for example, than that of someone from Texas. Would it be a good idea to also tune into programs from New Brunswick? What about other areas of Canada?

The goal is to be able to understand and be understood regardless of which French-speaking country I'm in.

Btw, I wasn't sure if this was the right board for this post. I thought of putting it in Provincial Politics, but I decided since it's about language, not politics, that it belongs here. If it should have been on another board, go ahead and move it.

Hi speedy,

I have a friend who is French-Canadian and just last week he told me that the French in Canada is pretty much the same

across the country as far as accent is concerned. No matter what area you are from the language basically sounds the same.

There is a difference between Canadian French and Parisienne French besides there being a lot of colloquialisms. they can understand each other once they get past the differences.

I remember working with a guy from Oklahoma and it took me a day before I could understand what he was talking about but, as I say, half of it is just getting past the differences you aren't used to hearing.

I don't know if TV will give you a good picture of the differences between Canadian and Parisienne French. It will be

more formal and closer to Parisienne. There are some programs that are more based in reality.

There are some people on the forum that speak French and live in Montreal, like August. My wife is French-Canadian from

Alberta. She speaks and writes the language fluently.

Your goal of being able to understand and be understood will probably be realized if you speak Parisienne French. Different countries and cultures will all have some of their own accents, nomenclature, idioms and colloquialisms that only

experience will clear.

Now I don't know if you have heard any "Cajun" French from Louisiana but I think that is the most adapted and doesn't even sound like French sometimes, so I'm told. The word "Cajun" tells you all you need to know. The original word is

"Acadian" and is a description of the French in Maritime Canada, under French rule it was called Acadia, who migrated to Louisiana after the great expulsion by the British that occurred from 1755-63.

Any way good luck with your French.

When I was in public school, my teacher , was from France and I also have been told there is a difference but I never knew because I only had it in public school for 2 years. It would probably be like the English North America vs England. My ancestors came from France to Quebec in the 1600's and my grandparenst spoke Quebec French.

Quebec French is to Parisian French something like Texas English is to London English

There are provincial accents across both Canada and France

Probably both of these statements are true although my friend from Quebec swears there is a negligible difference of the

Canadian accent across the Nation.

What I know of languages though tells me that differences usually increase with distance. In modern times, I think

television media may have an ameliorating effect on that.

modern times with national television media.

The accents are substantially different but the (formal) written language is the same.

I lived in Montreal for years and I had a difficult time understanding people but it got better with time. Having said that, travelling in certain parts of Paris I had just as much difficulty understanding some of the local dialects. Especially after a few drinks. Granted, maybe not to the same degree as in Quebec.

Then there's the Maritimes French which is really easy for the Anglophone ear but it's pretty much French spoken with an English accent. :)

Ultimately though, it's all the same language.

I have a very hard time understanding the Quebecois accent at all, but have no problem understanding French language movies. My experience is that there is a very strong accent in Quebec that makes it difficult to understand if you aren't fluent in French and hearing things sound differently might trip you up. From what I recall there is also quite a bit of slang and most especially syllable-skipping to shorten common words/phrases that is not typically encountered in international French.

Probably both of these statements are true although my friend from Quebec swears there is a negligible difference of the

Canadian accent across the Nation.

What I know of languages though tells me that differences usually increase with distance. In modern times, I think

television media may have an ameliorating effect on that.

modern times with national television media.

Very interesting observation - and I agree, however you may be surprised with the effect. I have noticed a marked change in the Quebec dialect since 1976, and more towards Parisian pronunciation in the media. Those who identify with the establishment, may be more inclined to speak that way and those in the far flung areas less so ?

There's a theory that the peculiar Spanish accent (vs South American Spanish) came from the people imitating a Spanish king who had a lisp.

Very interesting observation - and I agree, however you may be surprised with the effect. I have noticed a marked change in the Quebec dialect since 1976, and more towards Parisian pronunciation in the media. Those who identify with the establishment, may be more inclined to speak that way and those in the far flung areas less so ?

Makes sense to me.

There's a theory that the peculiar Spanish accent (vs South American Spanish) came from the people imitating a Spanish king who had a lisp.

It's not that far-fetched a theory since people do imitate those they identify with.

I have heard a similar theory that Napoleon is the reason that on average the Frenchman is an inch shorter than his

European counterparts.